Thoughts on MFR

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
PC, how about your own version of a lava centrifuge, where you can turn lava into resources (with time and a lot of power)? Apart from GT, I know of no other mod that offers a block that does this.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
PC, how about your own version of a lava centrifuge, where you can turn lava into resources (with time and a lot of power)? Apart from GT, I know of no other mod that offers a block that does this.
What would it give though? Low chances of redstone, lapis, iron, gold, diamond? What about copper, tin, silver, lead, and any other stuff that mods add? At the moment MFR doesn't touch the additional ores at all. The Laser Drill only generates vanilla resources for instance.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The Laser Drill only generates vanilla resources for instance.
it would make sense to add other mod`s ore to the list, because MFR has TE and GT version of recipes. and i`m pretty sure they will be added, if not yet already.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
What would it give though? Low chances of redstone, lapis, iron, gold, diamond? What about copper, tin, silver, lead, and any other stuff that mods add? At the moment MFR doesn't touch the additional ores at all. The Laser Drill only generates vanilla resources for instance.

Not completely true, it also does AE quartz and nether ores.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Too lazy to quote all these posts since this forum doesn't preserve that across pages.

Facades: I got algorithm to give me his code for that but no ETA, I want to see if CB's thing actually exists at some point.
Liquid DSU: this is suggested often but I don't really like the idea because tanks already only store one thing so there's no tradeoff.
Road slabs: now that someone told me there's an actual speed multiplier variable I should be using slabs are possible (stairs would mean another block ID though so that's out, use immibis microblocks like you should be).
Lava centrifuge: if you haven't noticed MFR doesn't really do ore processing. There isn't even a furnace.
Laser drill: TE adds its ores to it, and you can expect we'll slowly add other mods to it on our side as needed.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
True, MFR doesn't do ore processing, but you are a open developer, and thought it might be worth a shot suggesting it. Unless KingLemming will add something like that. Tech wise there should be an MJ alternative for the lava centrifuge.

On the laser drill, couldn't you make it so that there's a config file list of block IDs, then players/server admins can configure which ores are pulled out.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I had my first letdown ever for MFR this morning. I was hoping that industrial fertilizer would work with barley (and by extension, hoping that it works with all of the other natura plants and trees). /sigh. It was not to be so.

:)

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
To discuss the lava centrifuging a bit, I think it only exists as a rebalancer implemented by Greg due to the matter/massfab change his addon pushes on ic2. As gregtech expands on nuclear reactors but doesn't significantly reduce their resource burn, gregtech nuclear reactors aren't energy positive without raping the land hardcore since the cost of uum is too high to ameliorate the tin and copper burn of the reactors like the standalone ic2 massfab does. Thus, lava centrifuging was born. While the resource gain is useful to plenty of other mods, the clear target is tin cells and copper plates devoured by reactors.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
...As gregtech expands on nuclear reactors but doesn't significantly reduce their resource burn, gregtech nuclear reactors aren't energy positive without raping the land hardcore...
and they are still a garbage compared to advanced solars. its a shame, really.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
i havent played 1.52 yet but greg added some reactor buffs, apparently. still doesnt offset the insane costs, but it is a viable mid game power source at least. I was still able to manage 3k eu/t from my reactor room for a week even in the worst-of-the-worst ultimate 1.1.2 yields, but continuous use either requires one full sized quarry a day, regardless of centrifuge, due to the insane breeding coal costs, or alternatively extra bees uranium and tin centrifuging.

The 8k copper I spent building the reactors and components, however, is just stupid expensive. Definirely not viable as you suggest, unless you're a masochist, exploring new mods, or like playing with reactor designs.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
I had my first letdown ever for MFR this morning. I was hoping that industrial fertilizer would work with barley (and by extension, hoping that it works with all of the other natura plants and trees). /sigh. It was not to be so.

:)
mDiyo's handling that stuff on natura's side so bug him if it doesn't work.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It's been asked and will probably happen eventually but no idea when. Plus that means I need to edit that conveyor renderer again..

Well you could always just have a new different block for up/down movement.

But if you do just make conveyors stick to wall. How about ceilings too? I just have this funny image in my head of stuff sliding along hanging from the ceiling.[DOUBLEPOST=1372447463][/DOUBLEPOST]
At the moment MFR doesn't touch the additional ores at all. The Laser Drill only generates vanilla resources for instance.

I get Osimum and AE Quarz all the time. Also tin and copper.

The laser drill does grabs some of the modded ores.[DOUBLEPOST=1372447520][/DOUBLEPOST]
Damn, coding is harrrd.

Yeah that is why programmers get good pay.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Liquid DSU: this is suggested often but I don't really like the idea because tanks already only store one thing so there's no tradeoff.
...That makes sense, now that I think about it. Huh.
Still, I'd like to see some kind of liquid storage and/or transport in your mod, mostly because most of the other popular options are either 8 or 80. BC's are too simple, RC's take a bit to craft (and are somewhat laggy, or so I've heard) and Xycraft's requires your world to drown in crystals (or you to wear items instead of pants). Haven't checked Dynamic Liquid Tanks or something like that yet.
Also, do BC pumps work with poop lakes yet?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

I think people want the 1x1 block that holds tons and tons of liquid and be picked up and moved much like the DSU does with tons and tons of one item.

Tanks are a size thing as in they take up lots of it. With everyone jumping all over the AE bandwagon it seems like everyone wants to pack there 37 quarry output and there 16 nether pumps all into a 1x1 block.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I think people want the 1x1 block that holds tons and tons of liquid and be picked up and moved much like the DSU does with tons and tons of one item.

Tanks are a size thing as in they take up lots of it. With everyone jumping all over the AE bandwagon it seems like everyone wants to pack there 37 quarry output and there 16 nether pumps all into a 1x1 block.

Well there is one, the quantum tank, but I don't think its moveable, right? Expensive, but worth its weight in gold.

Scroff

Jul 29, 2019
Glass is renewable pretty early, so any liquid that can be bottled can be put in a DSU/AE system - at the cost of a bit of power and infrastructure.

Also getting into bees makes [refactory|magic] capsules available, increasing possibilities of what liquids can be stored

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
...That makes sense, now that I think about it. Huh.
Still, I'd like to see some kind of liquid storage and/or transport in your mod, mostly because most of the other popular options are either 8 or 80. BC's are too simple, RC's take a bit to craft (and are somewhat laggy, or so I've heard) and Xycraft's requires your world to drown in crystals (or you to wear items instead of pants). Haven't checked Dynamic Liquid Tanks or something like that yet.
Also, do BC pumps work with poop lakes yet?

No liquid anything is happening until 1.6 due to the liquid rewrite.