THIS MODPACK IS A BETA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
There is millions of mods out there for than just minecraft, MOST do changelogs. MOST do not get paid. A sticky here or there or a note would help.

There are notes here and there. But focussing this and summing everything up efficiently needs some work. If the team gets used to everything and improves on efficiency things will get a lot more struktured. I personally believe that everyone is doing his/her best or even more, which is enough. And actually there are some parts that improved a lot and some of the issues are more related to mods, which makes it hard to give information about fixes.

A changelog is nice, but I actually believe that they fix as much as possible and hope for a bugfree release with all the required features. So I don' really care if something is fixed in 1.06 or 1.07 or such as long as it is fixed as soon as it is possible.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps then one of the other projects would be a better example of professionalism.
  • Bukkit - Posted when they were working, while they are working, and when they finished, along with an extensive changelog.
  • Spoutcraft - Currently updating to 1.4.5, and is posting updates all the time from the devs.
  • Tekkit - they just pushed an update 5 days ago. Their 1.2.5 build is the most flawless modpack i've played so far.
Really, there is no excuse for poor communication.

Although some things have already been said i have the feeling to reply here:
  • Bukkit: Well yeah Bukkit has been out for more than 2 years now. So hell yes ofc it has now a better communication than we currently have. BUT i can remeber a time not so lang ago where there was absolutly NO communication whatsoever from the devs for weeks even months.
  • SpoutCraft: It was first a plugin and now is a stand-alone system. But again in the early days there was MUCH confusion about it. Until they had sorted out their team it was basicly a mess.
  • Tekkit: I expect them to have a more stabel 1.2.5 Pack, as we have had that version for quite some time now!

So i feel we have a MUCH better communication than any of the before mentioned parties had in ther early days or on ther way to the current state!

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft was in beta once. They pushed a changelog with every update. Not six updates and then a "whoopsie!" This is unprofessional and generally rude to your users.
Amen to the rude part. Very much so, Especially when that "Whoopsie" is condecending to the people who want to support the pack.

Reactions: Kryosite

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
... with a launcher. There were other modpacks. The FTB map modpack being one of them.
Ok, my mistake. Until 2 weeks ago, Technic Pack was the only modpack with a launcher, that more than a dozen people use :p
(Not including FTB in this, as now, it's got a launcher, and is doing quite well)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The term "you" in the following post refers to the FTB team not directly at you Flora.

You screwed up, good that you got that screw up out of the way early then, lessons learned early on is always a good thing and more often than not puts procedures in place so that it doesn't happen again.

Secondly you will always find that forums become a place to whine at more than praise at, if you don't know this by now then I'm not sure where you've been hiding. If your forums are a mess and disorganised and cluttered with people moaning and whining, then posting this doesn't really serve any purpose. You have forum moderators, if you don't want multiple posts all more or less saying the same thing then your forum moderators need to get a grip on this and close them with a message to post in a single thread.

Don't blame your forum users for posting stuff all over the place, it's human nature, it's always been this way in every forum on every website, everywhere!!

Communication is always key in every business, every walk of life, in just about everything we do, whether voluntary or paid, communication is good. Take a leaf from the Tekkit people, they post nothing, keep no-one updated on what's going on and it infuriates people, they don't know whether the project is dead or alive!!

This is not a whine, don't take it as one, read it, digest it and move forwards, there isn't a single player/Minecraft/Mod fan that doesn't want FTB to succeed.

Bolimest

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who runs a server, I can say the launcher/server mix up was bothersome but i understand that the Devs don't get paid and this is volunteer work. I'm just glad that a mod pack like this even exists and only wish the best for FTB. Thanks for the great pack!

Daxamar

Nov 21, 2012
Just putting this out there...thanks for a great mod pack! Im sure whatever problems come up, and they will, will be handled in time.

Reactions: Lawbroken

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You know what, sometimes the grossly high levels of entitlement displayed by some users of free mod packs like FTB, tekkit, bukkit and the like sickens me...
Sure, you can be pissed that shit isn't working (I get like that too), sure you can even vent about it. I bet the devs might even find your frustration justified and possibly feel for you.
But when you start spouting BS about "professionalism" and how the FTB team should "put procedures in place" to "make sure it doesn't happen again".
In my eyes it pisses away all credibility you have as a person and states volumes of your character (or lack there of).

This is a pro bono service to the Minecraft community these FTB guys are giving here. Don't break the gift horses legs...

Westiex

Jul 29, 2019
I'd just like to take the time (like some of the other users have) to say two words - Thank you.

Likely to be the only payment that volunteers get.

A thank you to the mod developers, for spending hours on the mods that we play that extend Minecraft's Gameplay
A thank you to the 'staff' of FTB, for producing a mod pack, for getting permission from the authors, for creating configs and making it *easier* for people to play with mods.
A thank you to those who place up Minecraft videos, either streams or videos on sites like youtube.

And a thank you to whoever else has put time into making Minecraft more enjoyable.

FTB is a Beta. Betas occasionally break.

Maximuscr31

Jul 29, 2019
This is why my server is closed and only moderators are allowed on. I know it will break. It is beta. Honestly the server jar should be linked to a link that makes you check a box understanding this is beta, it may be broken and probably will break at some point and all will be lost. Don't install it if you don't want to deal with that. Also that "update" tekkit released was a total faux. It was broken and was minor updates. Had to revert my server due to broken packages with advanced machines. As far as I'm concerned anyone who spends 6 months inbetween updates, and just does minor updates that don't even matter and can't even release them properly needs to just go away.

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
You know what, sometimes the grossly high levels of entitlement displayed by some users of free mod packs like FTB, tekkit, bukkit and the like sickens me... This is a pro bono service to the Minecraft community these FTB guys are giving here. Don't break the gift horses legs...

Mate, couldn't agree more with your sentiment. Talk about first world problems huh? People really need to chill out and apply a little perspective.

I'm loving the work being done by these guys, I sure as hell know that I wouldn't have the spare time to dedicate to the task they've taken on.

RyanTheAllmighty

Jul 29, 2019
Until 2 weeks ago, it was the ONLY modpack.

Actually untrue. I've been a part of a team/group of people who have had a custom launcher and 4 modpacks in that launcher for going on 3 months now.

I do agree with what people are saying in the fact that things are disorganized and such. I know they are working for free *apparently* but it's not that hard to post a changelog or notify users what's going on, I have experience with this and know its not hard, if not completely automatic from github.

Status
Not open for further replies.