THIS MODPACK IS A BETA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florastar

Jul 29, 2019
This modpack that is being used is a BETA modpack. Not everything (changelog updating, server/client issues, etc) is completely ironed out yet. The launcher development team and the newly formed modpack team have been working on all these issues and they will be fixed once the first release modpack comes out. Multiple threads of whining simply clutter the forums and are unnecessary. Thank You.

DiegoAtravesar

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Flora. :)
I've been operating with this understanding, hopefully You're post will let more people know that things are still being worked on.
Since it's still Beta, I've been going through configs and such, and posting things that Seem to be slightly off.(such as ID's being missaligned).
Glad the Pack is officially out though. :)

Reactions: Sirbab

Bilbo Baggins

Jul 29, 2019
sorry if many of us come off as whiny, we just really enjoy the modpack and would like to see the issues fixed, especially those of us who don't have a lot of free time to begin with, and don't want to spend it waiting around for potential solutions to problems.

Reactions: BlueNuke

Johnley

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft was in beta once. They pushed a changelog with every update. Not six updates and then a "whoopsie!" This is unprofessional and generally rude to your users.

Reactions: Wabbit and k0r0z1f

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft was in beta once. They pushed a changelog with every update. Not six updates and then a "whoopsie!" This is unprofessional and generally rude to your users.

These people are working hard, for free and for your benefit. Please try to show some understanding and empathy regarding why things are the way they are and how they are working very hard to fix them.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps so, but then the level of proffesionalism could be a reflection not of the people themselves, but of the fact that Mojang and its employees were paid to work full time on MC, whereas FTB'ers are not paid and do what they can when they can between what they are paid to do and the needs to of their life.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Even if this latest episode had not highlighted the fact, we knew things such as change logs were going to be needed and the infrastructure for the way our dev team wants to deliver those are in the works now. Please be patient with us, as we went from a small team of people working in a rather isolated way, to a rather large sensation overnight. We never anticipated this level of popularity, and while we are humbled and happy for it, it's taking some adjusting. Growing pains will be felt until we can come close to being a 'professional' organization, and despite the fact all of the work done is volunteer, we're doing the best we can to meet that standard.

Johnley

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps then one of the other projects would be a better example of professionalism.
  • Bukkit - Posted when they were working, while they are working, and when they finished, along with an extensive changelog.
  • Spoutcraft - Currently updating to 1.4.5, and is posting updates all the time from the devs.
  • Tekkit - they just pushed an update 5 days ago. Their 1.2.5 build is the most flawless modpack i've played so far.
Really, there is no excuse for poor communication.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
People make mistakes and we are not all Mojang so you can't compare us to them.

Also a quote from jadedcat should sum this up. We do this for free in our free time so you can play with mods you enjoy and also we are still working hard on making it better. It's early days now it shell get better.

Here is the quote that everyone should read.

Actually no. The only company getting ad space with FTB is Creeperhost as they are the sponsor of FTB. Thet launcher team is not paid. The moderators are not paid. The wiki team, social media and mod pack teams are not paid. Slowpoke receives no money for FTB.

The entire team donates hours of their free time to make the launcher and mod pack(s). Slow has had to curtail his streaming to keep up with the demands on his time. The team as a whole devotes hours, days even weeks and months to trying to provide a free launcher and modpack. The average team member logs between 20-40 hours a week of donated time to try and make this something professional and useful.
However since this is not a funded job and no one is paid little things like the jobs that do pay the team's bills can cause slow downs. The reason rude posts are removed is that NO ONE here is paid to do this. They are all volunteers, and why should a volunteer put up with rudeness and disrespect without receiving compensation?

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
We never anticipated this level of popularity
Hmmm, yeah, it was apparent from posting here pre-release that people didn't and perhaps still don't understand what it means for user numbers when 1.2 to 1.3 million, unique people watch Tekkit lets plays on just one Youtube channel.

As news of FTB spreads and more Youtubers pick up on it and more people flock here for the pack and support the worse the apparent moaning etc will become, one of the reason many of haters hated Tekkit was not really because of the controversy which they were not part of, but because their beloved favourite forum was overun by noobs asking noob questions in txt spk about something that wasn't perhaps ever, or at least now even in the mod that particular forum supported. I predict with a high level of confidence that FTB will have the same impact.

It was for this reason I was against Gregtech inclusion in FTB, the noobs asking (screaming, shouting, swearing) about how/why they can't build a macerator is going to drive some people into apoplexy.

Remember 1.2 million watch Tekkit lets plays on one particular Youtube channel, and most of those still have not heard of FTB, but one video, one mod spotlight could send pretty much all of them here overnight.

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps then one of the other projects would be a better example of professionalism.
  • Bukkit - Posted when they were working, while they are working, and when they finished, along with an extensive changelog.
  • Spoutcraft - Currently updating to 1.4.5, and is posting updates all the time from the devs.
  • Tekkit - they just pushed an update 5 days ago. Their 1.2.5 build is the most flawless modpack i've played so far.

Really, I do understand your frustration. Don't let it spill out into rudeness. The main difference between us and those operations is they have been doing it for a year or more - quite a long time in game fandoms. We've been doing this for two months or so, max. Time, and patience.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019

I agree on all counts, except, you don't take account that FTB is new and all those are old established projects that grew a lot slower than FTB is. Get all upset if you want, its your life, but try to make constructive critism that reflects where FTB is vs any other projects you contrast it to.

And, yeah, Tekkit, way more polished than FTB, and I feel FTB could learn from Tekkit, if that's not too controversial for some to consider, but a 1.2.5 mod pack build that is currently maintained, should by definition a huge amount more stable and finished than one that's hit or nearly hit the latest Mojang release.

Judgebot

Jul 29, 2019
People make mistakes and we are not all Mojang so you can't compare us to them.

Also a quote from jadedcat should sum this up. We do this for free in our free time so you can play with mods you enjoy and also we are still working hard on making it better. It's early days now it shell get better.

Here is the quote that everyone should read.

Very true. How do you think the bot feels answering questions all day ;)

mouseodoom

Jul 29, 2019

Every one of your examples entered a trash phase that makes a <24 hour kerflufle on the FTB team's part minor in comparison. bukkit was out of commission without any dev communication for weeks (months? time is weird) during various phases of MC beta.

For a new, free project with such popular attention, these guys are doing an incredible job. Heck, they are doing a great job even compared to some established, ad-supported projects.

Reactions: Vauthil

k0r0z1f

Jul 29, 2019
I am very grateful of what the feed the beast team is doing. But the server/client not same version thing could have used a little sticky message to reassure people at least... I would have like at least a message telling me things are going wrong at the moment...
Anyway, this modpack is great, thank you.

LordDeTracy

Jul 29, 2019
There is millions of mods out there for than just minecraft, MOST do changelogs. MOST do not get paid. A sticky here or there or a note would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.