..this Industrial Centrifuge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
To actually say something on topic for a change:

GregTech adds its own automation machines, such as electric buffers, translocators, regulators and inventory managers. They work pretty well once you get the hang of the sometimes *cough*cough* not overly intuitive interfaces (Greg is many things, but certainly not a UI designer) and actually let you do some things in one block that other mods struggle to provide in multiple, or don't provide at all.

For example, the advanced regulator singlehandedly provides everything that is missing from Applied Energistics when you want to automate a nuclear reactor or any other inventory where you need a variety of specific items in exactly the correct inventory positions.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
he's the greatest person ever. :/
Initial video response:

But
Really? It pretty much makes everything hard, Turns it more into a grind considering that he adds a bunch of poorly documented machines, Changes recipes from other modes that IMO he has absolutely no right to do so to

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
so, this has turned into yet another hate/love GT thread. think the OP was answered...and the thread can be closed.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
To actually say something on topic for a change:

GregTech adds its own automation machines, such as electric buffers, translocators, regulators and inventory managers. They work pretty well once you get the hang of the sometimes *cough*cough* not overly intuitive interfaces (Greg is many things, but certainly not a UI designer) and actually let you do some things in one block that other mods struggle to provide in multiple, or don't provide at all.

For example, the advanced regulator single handedly provides everything that is missing from Applied Energistics when you want to automate a nuclear reactor or any other inventory where you need a variety of specific items in exactly the correct inventory positions.

Yea, In my opinion just a simple thing he should do is give the AESU/IDSU/LESU interfaces more like the batbox and stuff,
Generally make his machines' interfaces more like IC2's, (Like the power bar)

Honestly i'd be absolutely fine if he didn't tamper with things he had no business with tampering, Even disabling some
An argument for it is "Nobody's forcing you to play greg tech" But the thing is, But if i want to play with other people, I kinda AM forced to deal with overprice-y ness,
Also users are still having to experiment to figure out how his blasted machinery all works, He seems to have forgotten most of us failed mind reading in high school

I don't hate it, It adds a lot of depth such as more machine advancement, But it's also confusing, Poorly documented, Outrageously overpriced.
Although i will say the nuke recipe is fair if not underpriced, It should require plutonium :p

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Changes recipes from other modes that IMO he has absolutely no right to do so to

Right to change? It's the players game, not the mod author. The player has told GregTech to make those changes, communicating through the config file.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
Right to change? It's the players game, not the mod author. The player has told GregTech to make those changes, communicating through the config file.

It's not the way that the author of IC2 intended the recipes i believe,
And the DEFAULT configuration is to have them hardened

Also that configuration is very un-user friendly, My quantumsuit is still borked, Doesn't refill hunger at all even though it's allowed in the config

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont

seriously? The player didn't code any of it. It's Greg's work. When things go good in it, you compliment him. You can't just blame the players when something goes wrong. If he gets the credit for the ways it goes right, he also gets the credit for the ways it goes wrong.

Ewokz750

Jul 29, 2019
It's not the way that the author of IC2 intended the recipes i believe,
And the DEFAULT configuration is to have them hardened

Also that configuration is very un-user friendly, My quantumsuit is still borked, Doesn't refill hunger at all even though it's allowed in the config

You need canned food in your inventory for the helm to feed you Chrissy. Its been in IC2 for a while.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Automate canned zombie meat, put the cans into the list of things that an adventure's backpack can handle. Set it to resupply mode and you'll have stacks.

Reactions: Jerome Asich

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
seriously? The player didn't code any of it.

It's the players game. Period. Full Stop. No discussion.

The player added GregTech. The player communicates to GregTech via config file. The player has instructed GregTech to make changes to other mods.

The player is modifying the mods. The authors of the mods being modified don't get a vote.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
You can't claim greg can do anything he want, get all of the credit, and escape all of the blame.

Either he gets credit and blame, or he gets nothing.

In fact, let me go further.

Everywhere, everybody. If they do something, they are responsible for it. Every mod maker for every game, everywhere. If people like it, they get praise and that's the only reward they get. If people don't like it, they get complaints. The mod maker is responsible for both being liked, and being hated.

I am not saying anything about mod interaction here. I'm saying that the root cause of all the disagreement over any mod, is the person who made the mod. Loved. Hated. Both. They live with it.

Reactions: Whovian

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You can't claim greg can do anything he want, get all of the credit, and escape all of the blame.

Blame for what? The only "blame" I've seen in this entire thread is a keyboard-seat error. Not GregTech's fault.

Besides which, I was replying to a claim that GregTech has no "right to change" another mod.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Everywhere, everybody. If they do something, they are responsible for it. Every mod maker for every game, everywhere. If people like it, they get praise and that's the only reward they get. If people don't like it, they get complaints. The mod maker is responsible for both being liked, and being hated.

When the mod in question operates as described and configured, there is no blame for the mod maker to be had.

The mod in question works fine with buildcraft pipes. It also modifies other mods as instructed by the config file. No blame to be had. Working as intended.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Gates = Buildcraft
Gregtech = Industrialcraft

Greg doesn't come here go post on his forum post and come back scolded when he replies.
To be fair, IC2 isn't Buildcraft either but most of its machines seem to work well with gates. If those aren't reading things from GT's machines properly, it's most likely because of how it treats its inventory, and thus Greg's fault.
And oh look, this became yet another GT hate thread!

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Every hateful insult. Root cause. Without him doing the work, not one of the complaints, compliments, or idiotic whining would exist.

No. Absolutely effing not. The world is full of idiotic people who complain and insult for no meaningful reason. This is an example. The target of the hate is not to blame for it. Only the person spewing it is.

I hate the phrase, but you're victim blaming.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
It's the players game. Period. Full Stop. No discussion.

The player added GregTech. The player communicates to GregTech via config file. The player has instructed GregTech to make changes to other mods.

The player is modifying the mods. The authors of the mods being modified don't get a vote.
This would be a perfectly valid argument if the default behaviour was to leave the other mods unchanged. As the default is to make changes to other mods, the player has not instructed GregTech to do any such thing. The player may not have the technical capability or confidence to change config files, or the player might not have access to the config files, if playing on a server. The server I play on is purely with RL friends, and we've changed the config to disable all changes to other mods. But you know what? That's actually really damn complicated for a server, because you need to distribute the changed config files to every player, and have them put them in the right places. Without applying for a private modpack, you can't automate that, and a lot of servers will have players who aren't computer literate enough to be able to replace their config files.

Large servers are never going to change their configs, not because they don't want to, but because it's so much effort. I'm fine with GregTech having the option to make everything harder. If you want to activate it, go ahead. Like you say, then the player is instructing GregTech to make those changes, and everything's fine and dandy. But it should not be the default behaviour.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
This would be a perfectly valid argument if the default behaviour was to leave the other mods unchanged.

Irrelevant. Just because somebody is too lazy to change the configuration does not mean the communication to the GregTech mod is invalid. Installing the mod and not changing the config file is still permission from the player.[DOUBLEPOST=1367410960][/DOUBLEPOST]
Large servers are never going to change their configs

This is not only untrue, but still irrelevant. They choose to install whatever modpack they use, and it's still a form of permission.

FTB default config is designed to be a single player game. A server running such a config is broken by design.