..this Industrial Centrifuge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Where did I say lazy? Not everyone that plays Minecraft - not even modded Minecraft - is particularly computer literate. With how easy it is to use the FTB launcher, anyone can play. It requires a far greater degree of computer literacy to be confident mucking around with config files. There are almost certainly people playing FTB Ultimate that literally do not have the skills and knowledge required to be able to change the configs to stop them interfering with other mods. Hell, I am computer literate, and it still took me ages to pick my way through the config files, and I had to do it two or three times because I missed bits.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Where did I say lazy?

I said lazy. And it applies. Being unable to edit a config file - or worse, download and put in place one of the "easy mode" configs widely available - is a sign of lazyness. It has nothing to do with "computer literate" or not, and should not be coddled.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
You still haven't given any reason why the current behaviour should be the default, I would note. You're busy swinging away at my arguments, but you haven't offered any counter arguments.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Heliomance, you look like youre talking to yopurself, then I realize I must have blocked someone. :D

Anyway OP, if something is pissing you off, its likely a GT feature. Its working as intended. Also it might expload at any moment.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
You still haven't given any reason why the current behaviour should be the default, I would note.

I don't recognize the requirement to back that choice. I'll note you've given no reason why it shouldn't be.

You're busy swinging away at my arguments, but you haven't offered any counter arguments.

Totally wrong. You're trying to claim people aren't at fault for their own choices in how they manage their own game. That's a sad reflection of current society which attributes no self responsibility to anybody and always makes it "somebody elses fault".

Installing the mod is a choice of the player. Configuring the mod is a choice of the player. You can substitute "modpack" for mod if you want, nothing changes.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Please stop, you're making a fool of yourself

I revel gloriously in the disdain of people who think personal responsibility is unacceptable.

and ignoring everything the other people have to say

I answer their arguments and point out how they're irrelevant. That's not ignoring them.

I can say, as a computer support person who helps the computer illiterate, that even find the config folder could be very difficult for some. Let alone opening one, finding the certain part that pertains to the problem(or for GT, nearly every part of the configs), saving it, and that keeping a backup and remembering to copy it back every time the mod pack updates.

I'll point out that the FTB installer doesn't even have an install program. Nothing is adding it to their start menu. A link is not on their desktop. So clearly, there is already a barrier to entry that you feel people shouldn't have to reach. I simply disagree.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
You mean Greg's a self-programming computer? HEAD FOR THE HILLS, ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THEY KILL US ALL!

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
[quote="DoctorOr, post: 238751]

I'll point out that the FTB installer doesn't even have an install program. Nothing is adding it to their start menu. A link is not on their desktop. So clearly, there is already a barrier to entry that you feel people shouldn't have to reach. I simply disagree.[/quote]
Download FTB launcher to desktop (standard behaviour for many computer illiterate folk). Oh look, there's a link on the desktop.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
He sort of went over the top when he started to say that greg is not responsible for what he programs. As if greg isn't sitting at the keyboard and writing code, he's just doing what people say to do because he has no free will.

Seriously, don't bother. Some people are taking criticism to the mods they love rather personal. That guy is one of the few people here I have on my blocklist because there is no point in having a discussion with someone who doesn't even want to consider that someone else might actually have a point.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
He sort of went over the top when he started to say that greg is not responsible for what he programs.

You shouldn't attribute what your failure to read correctly thinks I said to me, because what I actually said is wildly different.

What I said was that Greg is not responsible for other people bitching and moaning. Of course Greg is responsible for what he programs, and if he ever starts programming malware, that will be relevant.[DOUBLEPOST=1367519957][/DOUBLEPOST]
[quote="DoctorOr, post: 238751]

I'll point out that the FTB installer doesn't even have an install program. Nothing is adding it to their start menu. A link is not on their desktop. So clearly, there is already a barrier to entry that you feel people shouldn't have to reach. I simply disagree.
Download FTB launcher to desktop (standard behaviour for many computer illiterate folk). Oh look, there's a link on the desktop.[/quote]

And then it dumps all the instances right on your desktop too. Unless you manage the config....

You've still not passed the base barrier to entry.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
What was this thread about again?
Ohh yeah, gates not being able to read GregTechs modified input slots properly.

This is not gregs FAULT, well not in a deliberate or inept way. The input and output UI HAS to be as different as it is to achive Gregs intended purpose. becasue of this BC gates have trouble reading them properly.

That being said I'm sure you can make it work useing a hopper as your input which gates can most certainly read. TBH when the hoppers full it tends to mean the input will be full on the machine.

Offtopic; My opinion of gregtech is rather low but I can appreciate what it's trying to do. And despite Greg's deplorable attitude and masochist ideals regarding balance. He was considerate enough to add a robust and customizable config. Even if the configS are a absolute nightmare to work with whether you are computer savvy or not.

I wonder if someone has made an EZ mode third party UI for generateing Gregtech config files?... It could be an external app or even HTML based.
Because having to copy paste hundreds of trues and falses just to get craftable storage blocks back is not fun (And no, Find and replace is too hamfisted to make this easy some easy mode things need to be false and some things need to be true.)

Edit: Because Derp

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What was this thread about again?
Ohh yeah, gates not being able to read GregTechs modified input slots properly.

This is not gregs FAULT, well not in a deliberate or inept way. The input and output UI HAS to be as different as it is to achive Gregs intended purpose. becasue of this BC gates have trouble reading them properly.

It's not Greg's fault because buildcraft gates work just fine with GregTech machines.

I repeat: The error has occurred between keyboard and chair. The OP was even so wrong as to misattribute the effect of a specific gate option (Space available) as to how it operates for every single machine in the game.