Thermal Expansion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone flux? Sounds awesome! Now we just need flux capacitors.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4
Do they require 1.21 GW of power?

Yes, you have to install them into a minecart and accelerate them to 39.3395 blocks per second. (In other words, 88 mph. :p )

...You know, that would make a really cool Steve's Carts/Railcraft addition--instead of sleeping in a bed, you can just time-travel to the next day. :)

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
I discussed typing it, and then you'd end up with something like an EnergyStack class - it would very much be a fluid analog at that point. It's a bit overkill though.

This is actually sort of an interesting issue - it's very easy for me to have my devices output MJ, it's just difficult for them to be able to receive it. In the interest of respecting BuildCraft, then the Energy Tesseracts may go away, yes.

So what I'm hearing is Thermal Expansion needs to add some sort of mining component that can be used off some sort of remote redstone flux energy system? :D

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody said a replacement.. I'd.. still use.. it.. for. uhm.. hmmm not sure what I would use BC for now. Anyway a replacement no but an alternative would be fine. Are you really saying that the MC ecosystem has enough ways to mine and another one would just wreck the whole thing?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
So what I'm hearing is Thermal Expansion needs to add some sort of mining component that can be used off some sort of remote redstone flux energy system? :D

A reversible pump has been in the works since I started the Fluid System. However, I don't have a great desire to make an autominer that works anything like a Quarry.

Reactions: CrissHill

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
A reversible pump has been in the works since I started the Fluid System. However, I don't have a great desire to make an autominer that works anything like a Quarry.

Actually I think copying a quarry would be a tad.. distasteful? No.. It would have to be something new and unique.. I'm thinking something uses some sort of heat process.. maybe like oil sand piping? *shrug*

And reversible pump? not sure where that came from.. I was talking about a Redstone Flux Tesseract but maybe I'm missing some context that makes the pump make more sense?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
What if we got something more akin to the TC2 Mining Bore? That thing is on a completely different level of amazing.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
No, TE should not become a replacement for Buildcraft, just because it has stoppped using its power system.
Of course not. TE should become a replacement for BC, just because it is inherently superior by any measurable metric, not simply because it has stopped using its power system :p

In all seriousness, though... if it wasn't for Quarry and Gates, I wouldn't bother with BC in the least. Even there, I'm willing to pass them up. It's just... going in a different direction than my play style.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
Of course not. TE should become a replacement for BC, just because it is inherently superior by any measurable metric, not simply because it has stopped using its power system :p

In all seriousness, though... if it wasn't for Quarry and Gates, I wouldn't bother with BC in the least. Even there, I'm willing to pass them up. It's just... going in a different direction than my play style.

There two completely different mods, that serve to do different things. One shouldn't replace the other.

Reactions: Flipz and jasondm

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Must resist urge to make mod converting all mods to power requiring an algebraic notation to measure the output. Generated by one engine running solid gold ender eyes. No, wait, gold can be farmed. Solid Platinum Ender Eyes.

Reactions: Falconjh

rootbeer14

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, been a while everyone, so I figure I'd drop a few words here on where CoFHCore and TE stand. OmniTools will not be ported to 1.6.x, but there's a reason for that.

CoFHCore may be split into a couple of mods and repurposed, I haven't decided on that yet. All of the individual parts (capes/skins, head drops, world gen, and other core functions) are all working correctly.

Thermal Expansion itself isn't in bad shape, but instead of porting 2.x up, I'm porting 3.0 backwards to sort of a middle ground. It's just easier and there are too many improvements. Having said that, the new BuildCraft API is causing the vast majority of the issues. CJ's new power system is, on the surface of it, a huge improvement over BC 3's implementation. However, the complete lack of flexibility afforded with the new system means that I can't do the same sorts of things as efficiently or effectively as I used to.

So here's what you are likely to see with the ported release of TE, short term:
-Machines with revamped mechanics
-Engines with revamped mechanics, 1 new engine
-Tiers of Redstone Energy Cells and Portable Tanks
-Tesseract improvements
-Strongboxes *might* make it in
-Panels *might* make it in

Unfortunately, Conduits and Fluiducts are going to be kicked to the curb for a while. We're looking into full ForgeMultiPart compatibility for them and I suspect it'll be a full rewrite from the ground up. Obviously this will also apply to the ItemDucts.

OmniTools is dead. There are too many APIs always in flux for me to want to keep that up as it sits, and pairing the OmniWrench and the Lexicon in such a fashion is sort of silly.

Instead, at some point, TE will get an automated and configurable Lexicon, and I'll bring back the OmniWrench as a standalone mod which is a fair bit easier to maintain.

Alright, and now I've saved the tough part for last, though I already alluded to it above. I'm no longer sold on using MJ as the basis for TE. I've already written a full energy API and I'm discussing with the team if we want to make the switch. Should this happen, we'll try and provide some sort of converter. This isn't a matter of unit disagreement, merely implementation details.

Sorry that I can't give an ETA, life is hectic and I just have tons of other demands taking my time. I also can't completely hand the code over to the new maintainers as it sits, since it's basically a mess.

Reminds me of http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ft-support-will-not-be-included-in-1-6.24929/

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Redstone flux, eh? That actually sounds very... "Minecrafty", for a lack of a better word. Vanilla gives us redstone dust to power small, simple things; redstone flux would just be a more pure, concentrated form of it. After all, why would Steve invent something completely abstract like realworld electricity, if he developed his tech off of redstone dust? I like how logical that sounds. And the fact that it has a somewhat mystical aspect to it can easily be accepted in the context of the setting.

Agreed, before TE, I never had much need for Redstone and Obsidian, now I just can't get enough of those resources!

Like many here, I only really got into MJ power by using Thermal Expansion. I avoided MJ in the past due to the "clunkyness" of the system with exploding pipes/engines. All that is now gone, but there still this "clunkyness" with different types of pipes, gates and pipe wires (gates are not my favorite thing, and investment cost is insane just to get a basic autaric gate). With TE we had a unique crafting process involving liquid redstone which then produced a single power conduit, and a way of storing a small amount of MJ in a block, which can also control input and output. All requires more resources over the BC method, but gives a simpler and more pleasing system in return (IMO).

My only concern is that in the future I still want to use TE conduits, but I still want to use MJ using machine blocks. I guess a happy medium is to make a power converter type block that connects to a MJ block that converts the RF to MJ at a MJ output configurable in the power converter interface. This interface would also give a warning that there will be a constant drain in RF as a result. It also forces the player to have to spend more resources to access MJ via RF.

Since you are going for your own power system, that will also mean power generation. How about trying to make some of your own unique passive power generation systems. Produce a low amount of RF, but a fire and forget system. Like solar panels/windmills, but more optimised so a large setup of them does not kill performance. One though I had was "Redstone Generator" which is made from a mix of glowstone and redstone blocks (and various materials), which harnesses the natural energy of those two materials in some strange reaction to produce the energy. Almost like a block form of the redstone reception coil component.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually still looking for the mining machine that slowpoke once suggested on his stream, a mining machine that mines the ores out of the ground, but leaves the rest untouched. with this you can plunk down that machine anywhere in the world, and don't have to worry about messing with the land.

I know MFR adds a laser drill, but I have a bit of mixed feelings about it, as it creates items out of nothing (seems more of a MFR Mass-Fabricator to me), and require almost no work anymore after you set it up. that's what I do like about the BC quarry, you actually need to spend time setting it up, keep a check on it while it runs, and move it after it finishes.

though a machine like this does give the problem that you don't know if someone already emptied certain parts of the land from their ores or not, so you'd also need a machine to find out if there's ores in the area or not. you also don't get any cobble, dirt, sand or gravel from that kind of machine, but 3 out of 4 can already be made with other TE machines so that shouldn't be too much of a problem

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually still looking for the mining machine that slowpoke once suggested on his stream, a mining machine that mines the ores out of the ground, but leaves the rest untouched. with this you can plunk down that machine anywhere in the world, and don't have to worry about messing with the land.

This exists already, and it's always been part of the Unleashed modpack. It may not be in a mod you expect to have this feature, however. ;) Think hard - can you guess which one it is?

No?

Have a hint in the spoiler:

To start off, you'll need a diamond... and some flowers.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
This exists already, and it's always been part of the Unleashed modpack. It may not be in a mod you expect to have this feature, however. ;) Think hard - can you guess which one it is?

No?

My poor brain, I haven't a clue :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

No?

ore magnet from Twilight Forest?

un worry

Jul 29, 2019

ic2 miner has been there since the beginning of the pack

http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Miner
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Miner

throw in some mining pipe, Eu and an OV Scanner upgrade, it will cover 9x9 area to bedrock and just mines out the ores.

zacseow

Jul 29, 2019
You can't make an ore magnet, perhaps something from extra utilities?

Edit: Never mind, it is the ore magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.