Thermal Expansion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
OK I see what you mean. But there's no reason to equate instant energy transmission with instant item transmission. It makes sense Thermal Expansion Energy Conduits transmit energy instantly, or as near as makes no difference, because energy behaves that way. To take that to mean that Thermal Expansion Item Conduits would also transmit items instantly is not logical. By that logic, since blulectric wires transmit blutricity instantly, so surely Pneumatic Tubes should also do so? Sure, there are computational advantages to doing so, so maybe TE will have instant item transfer, which would also avoid the spill-out or back-stuffing alternatives. And, by the way, I am convinced that those are the only three options: spill out, infinite backstuffing buffer, or transfer instantaneously. I'd be interested if there are any other solutions to the item transfer problem.
Liquiducts do transfer instantly, and blulectric wires don't. (Fluid pipes seem quite fast though)
The reason people think item transport in TE will be instant is that energy and liquid transport in TE is instant.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE THAT HAS HEARD OF INSERTION PIPES?!
I mean, c'mon, they work like Pneumatic Tubes from RP2 with the falling problem included.
And they work with BC pipes.
So why aren't you guys using it?!

Reactions: Pokefenn

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps it's because they aren't even mentioned let alone explained how they work on the TE wiki.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it'd be nice if modders don't have the time to create or update a wiki for their mod, if they can atleast make it so people can join that wiki and add or update the changes, and the modder can afterwards see if it's done good enough and they can release it to the wiki

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
it'd be nice if modders don't have the time to create or update a wiki for their mod, if they can atleast make it so people can join that wiki and add or update the changes, and the modder can afterwards see if it's done good enough and they can release it to the wiki

Wikispaces is kind of notorious for how sparsely they allow you to give out that kind of access, at least when you're using the free version. Usually they're right on the ball with TE changes going in in my experience, so this is something of a fluke for them. Considering the track record, I wouldn't get too up in arms about it, personally.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah, I hate it when mods don't document their content at least as well as Mojang document vanilla Minecraft content.

Except Redstone is pretty much the most complex mechanic in Vanilla Minecraft. Also, there is an attempt to set some kind of goal structure via achievements. Many mods are happy to be all 'here are some blocks that do a thing' and leave you to fumble around.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Except Redstone is pretty much the most complex mechanic in Vanilla Minecraft. Also, there is an attempt to set some kind of goal structure via achievements. Many mods are happy to be all 'here are some blocks that do a thing' and leave you to fumble around.

While the modders might design things that way, and there are some users who play that way too.
There's quite a few people who don't as well. In my opinion, having a wiki means the players who want to experiment themselves get to AND those who don't want to experiment can research as well, so both camps are happy

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well we live in the 21th century. If you need informations, go get them. Even when ignoring the TE-Wiki the internet serves you all you need by typing in some letters. This fact makes life for modders so much easier, because they dont have to document that much... somebody somewhere will do it for them.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Well we live in the 21th century. If you need informations, go get them. Even when ignoring the TE-Wiki the internet serves you all you need by typing in some letters. This fact makes life for modders so much easier, because they dont have to document that much... somebody somewhere will do it for them.

Kind of a lazy outlook but it's a true one. And I guess the modders aren't really getting anything substantial from us to obligate them to document their mod.

But the modders need to be aware that sometimes no one will document and in an even worse scenario you get one person documenting but doing a rubbish job at it spreading misinformation and pure falsehoods about your mod.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of a lazy outlook but it's a true one. And I guess the modders aren't really getting anything substantial from us to obligate them to document their mod.

But the modders need to be aware that sometimes no one will document and in an even worse scenario you get one person documenting but doing a rubbish job at it spreading misinformation and pure falsehoods about your mod.

True, but if you developed a mod that far that documenting everything yourself becomes problematic you most likely already aquired a solid fanbase that takes care of such stuff. In case of TE there are a lot of vids explaining his mod and of course the FTB-Wiki (well there seems to be 2 FTB-Wikis^^). But then again TE is pretty popular and if you want to know something about the mod you normally get the informations.

The Wiki lags a lot of information like capacity for Tesseracts or Energy-Conduits, Information about the Cyclic-Assembler (although there is a unfinished page) and the Insertion Pipe and some Pages like the one for the Igneous Extruder which is simply wrong, since it states that Stone takes 2mb Lava and 500mb Water (it takes no Lava and 1000mb Water). But at this point the mod develops really fast and you have to decide what to do. Will you push back content and fix all the documentation first? Will you propably set a new Milestone and make a new documentation after your done? Should you evt. try to get somebody who only does the documentation and nothing else? Should you evt. just ignore documentation and just provide status-updates and changelogs via the page?

I cant really believe that documenting your mod is something fun to do. First you made the damn thing. You might take things as given others do not. So explaining something can be tricky. Second proper documentation is basically just making things up and write them down. It takes a lot of time. It also is a public document written by you, so you want to make it shine for you, since a lot of modders work as programmers, and a good mod can be a nice bonus for your carreer, but in that case if you do something you have to do it properly.

I doubt that if someone approaches lemming and asks him if he would allow him to do a proper documentation for TE he would turn that down. He could even invest some time to ask some questions for clarification and help with it (although properly under his condition, like placing the documentation in the FTB-Wiki or something, which misses informations on TE). I guess in such cases, if done properly they gladly take others aid. It is a lot less work to look through someone else documentation and evt. fixing minor issues than having to do it all by yourself. Exspecially considering that the person who made the documentation learned the mod in the first place too, which helps providing valuable informations.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
True, but if you developed a mod that far that documenting everything yourself becomes problematic you most likely already aquired a solid fanbase that takes care of such stuff. In case of TE there are a lot of vids explaining his mod and of course the FTB-Wiki (well there seems to be 2 FTB-Wikis^^). But then again TE is pretty popular and if you want to know something about the mod you normally get the informations.

The Wiki lags a lot of information like capacity for Tesseracts or Energy-Conduits, Information about the Cyclic-Assembler (although there is a unfinished page) and the Insertion Pipe and some Pages like the one for the Igneous Extruder which is simply wrong, since it states that Stone takes 2mb Lava and 500mb Water (it takes no Lava and 1000mb Water). But at this point the mod develops really fast and you have to decide what to do. Will you push back content and fix all the documentation first? Will you propably set a new Milestone and make a new documentation after your done? Should you evt. try to get somebody who only does the documentation and nothing else? Should you evt. just ignore documentation and just provide status-updates and changelogs via the page?

I cant really believe that documenting your mod is something fun to do. First you made the damn thing. You might take things as given others do not. So explaining something can be tricky. Second proper documentation is basically just making things up and write them down. It takes a lot of time. It also is a public document written by you, so you want to make it shine for you, since a lot of modders work as programmers, and a good mod can be a nice bonus for your carreer, but in that case if you do something you have to do it properly.

I doubt that if someone approaches lemming and asks him if he would allow him to do a proper documentation for TE he would turn that down. He could even invest some time to ask some questions for clarification and help with it (although properly under his condition, like placing the documentation in the FTB-Wiki or something, which misses informations on TE). I guess in such cases, if done properly they gladly take others aid. It is a lot less work to look through someone else documentation and evt. fixing minor issues than having to do it all by yourself. Exspecially considering that the person who made the documentation learned the mod in the first place too, which helps providing valuable informations.

Yes, while being totally lost and confused with a mod is frustrating, so is being one person coding, collaborating with third parties, testing, designing. The mods are usually 1 man developments and I agree it's unreasonable to EXPECT documentation and the modders are NOT obligated to do so.

But you have to admit, the modder that produces in-depth concise supporting documents for their mods at release will find higher rates of user acceptance that usually translates in to enjoyment, especially if the mod in question has complex mechanics.
The question is though; is the "payout" (term used figuratively) worth the effort, it might depend on the mod in question and what it's trying to do. And also will the documentation actually be used/ understood if it's not it's wasted effort.

I mean last night I was explaining to a fellow player for an hour the intricacies of making metal casts for Tinkers construct tools (it is kind of complicated), and that mod has probably the most direct method of distributing documentation Modded MC has ever seen (it magically hands you books with a step by step guide).
Also explaining TC to that player also reminds me that people have different capacities for teaching ability. I think I confused my friend with my explanations more then help... Yet, I know the inns and outs of that mod pretty well by now. Maybe modders are just not good at documentation and save us from confusion by letting others do it.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Hey is there any official word on TE? Doing a search reveals all sorts of random rumors, usually along the lines of TE being no longer in development.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hey is there any official word on TE? Doing a search reveals all sorts of random rumors, usually along the lines of TE being no longer in development.

KL has said that he not going to work on TE but pass it over to the team. Unfornuately, the net being what it is, 99% of people have seen this as the END OF THE WORLD, aka, the mod is dead and keep posting elsewhere that TE is going in the direction of another well known tech mod, despite that KL is actively posting in the link above and there are screenshots of sneak peaks of what TE is going to offer.

Reminds me of the Aztec Calendar fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.