Thermal Expansion or Industrial Craft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
"Quick! Let's get everybody to play TE so that they will forget about IC2!"

..yeah, you aren't very clever...

And that kid video is annoying as shit. Locking up your site so people can't see what you are up to?

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
"Quick! Let's get everybody to play TE so that they will forget about IC2!"

..yeah, you aren't very clever...

And that kid video is annoying as shit. Locking up your site so people can't see what you are up to?
Who are you quoting?
And what on earth are you talking about? I don't see any video in this thread. You aren't making the slightest bit of sense to me, which probably means I've missed some important information and should mind my own business.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
No one in particular. I usually find that these 'Mod X or Mod Y' threads are fairly pointless. If anything, it creates a false sense of competition, as if the mods have to outperform the other for whatever misguided means people want. Simply put, mods are created to add to Minecraft in a particular way, and it's up to the user to decide what they want in their sandbox...
Click 2nd link in my sig., that's who
Apart of that though, let's look at what TE DOESN'T have... (at 3/22/2013)
- Rechargeable Tools
- Rechargeable Armor (MPS is a separate mod, therefore does not count)
- Agriculture
- Nuclear or Atomic energy
- Renewable energy (Charcoal does not count)

While I can say that TE is a good mod, and it's early game is very helpful under restrictive circumstances (lack of rubber, copper, etc.), it still does not 'replace' IC2 in particular features. Yes, you can get other mods to fill that gap, but those are other mods, not TE. And keep in mind that TE works under the BC system of power, which is different than IC2, as it is reliant on the BC model for generating/distributing energy...

Let people play what they want, and choose which mods they want. IC2 =! TE, and trying to compare the two systems just because it redundantly has a few of the same machines as the former detracts value from BOTH mods. Saying TE is 'better' than IC2 is making TE appear more and more like a BC version of an IC2 clone. I think TE is better than that, and deserves to not be compared in such a biased way...

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
MagusUnion, we're discussing what's good to start with in early game: pulveriser+powered furnace, or macerator+electric furnace. Obviously this isn't preventing anyone from using any of the machines in any mod later in the game. This whole concept of some kind of mutually exclusive battle between mods exists only in your own head. The only "false sense of competition" is one that you are imagining. No one is saying that one mod is 'better' than another, so stop implying that we are.

Reactions: Norfgarb

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
MagusUnion, we're discussing what's good to start with in early game: pulveriser+powered furnace, or macerator+electric furnace

I'm well aware of what you are discussing...

TE machines are really good if you prefer a BC powered system, but it's a fuel based system, therefore, you have to feed into it (or circle loop the power somehow) constantly...
IC2 machines are up-gradable, have access to renewable energy, and have seperate 'tiers' of power based off their inputs/outputs. However, there are a few gated resources, which can restrict early game..

Of course TE is going to take the cake in early game. That's a simple fact. But TE lacks anything after you get a Quarry, which is the only high end consumer (atm) of MJ. IC2, while not as immediately open, has a different approach to gameplay, and evolves into something more progressive later on. Plus, swamp biomes usually have the most rubber, so a start with IC2 is almost as easy as with TE. So then IC2 can hedge out a bit ahead, as you can use solar/water/wind for power (we aren't including Gregtech) instead of a 'hungry' engine...

They both have their own strengths, and I find it unfair to compare the two in a raceway type manner. TE can teleport energy. IC2 can fabricate matter. Sure, at entry level one may be sightly better than the other in set circumstances, but 'early game' doesn't last forever. After giving a world +24 hours of play time, you're going to get bored and want to expand on what you have. IC2 has more mid/late than TE, which if we made that the topic, people would start choosing it over TE. I don't think that's fair to Lenning, who helped bring in his version of teleport pipes to the latest edition of Minecraft...

So I say: choose what you are comfortable with, and what you can use onhand. If it's TE, great, use it. If it's IC2, great, use it. With a sandbox like Minecraft, the only important thing is what you make of it, and its not fair to limit your tool selection because of opinionated, meta-game reasons...

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I started a 5.2.0 SSP and am going full Factorization first. I like how the only multistep in it is building motors. Plus later on one can use steam with Factorization so Railcraft is a wonderful bonus to add on. Build an early coke oven and you get golden.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
They both have their own strengths, and I find it unfair to compare the two in a raceway type manner.
I'm trying to tell you that this sort of comparison is not the topic, so stop mentioning it.
So I say: choose what you are comfortable with, and what you can use onhand. If it's TE, great, use it. If it's IC2, great, use it.
Yes, that's what I and others have already said. Glad you agree.
With a sandbox like Minecraft, the only important thing is what you make of it, and its not fair to limit your tool selection because of opinionated, meta-game reasons...
No one is limiting their tool selection. The OP was just looking for some info to help decide which to do first in the early game stage. Okay?

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
The OP was just looking for some info to help decide which to do first in the early game stage. Okay?

Ok, ok, no need to be aggressive about it. You seem to get really upset over the slightest deviations on a subject...

Besides, I'm sure the OP has made their choice by now. So my opinion probably makes little difference. No need to be angry about it...

Vixation

Jul 29, 2019
[/quote] Lambert(i messed it up, Forums are not my usual place, so i don't know what i'm doing :) )

'If you prefer speed and don't much care for efficiency (in the long run this is) then IC2' (Lambert *numbers*)

[/quote]

this is wrong, as stated before your post. factorisation and also the ind. grinder have a better efficiency than TE, as the ind. grinder usually gets u 25% of a dust extra(sometimes of 2 dusts(in the form of tiny piles))(and the pulverizer gives 10% chance on an(only 1) extra dust) , and factorisation, well, i don't really know anything about that, but 350% as stated before, and is commenly believed, so yeah. GT does require a bigger and way more costly infrastructure though, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Ultimetly what i want to say, to Lambert as well as placeholder, and anyone reading this, GT is really, REALLY fun, and just try it. it's a really content heavy and complexity-filled mod, but not even that hard when you have the wiki and NEI :) it will enhance the IC2 experience, which I really enjoy, and the (tech)Modded MC experience(which IC2 is part of obviously)

there, i said it :) (can finally sleep ;) )

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Lambert said:
'If you prefer speed and don't much care for efficiency (in the long run this is) then IC2'

this is wrong, as stated before your post. factorisation and also the ind. grinder have a better efficiency than TE, as the ind. grinder usually gets u 25% of a dust extra(sometimes of 2 dusts(in the form of tiny piles))(and the pulverizer gives 10% chance on an(only 1) extra dust) , and factorisation, well, i don't really know anything about that, but 350% as stated before, and is commenly believed, so yeah. GT does require a bigger and way more costly infrastructure though, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Ultimetly what i want to say, to Lambert as well as placeholder, and anyone reading this, GT is really, REALLY fun, and just try it. it's a really content heavy and complexity-filled mod, but not even that hard when you have the wiki and NEI :) it will enhance the IC2 experience, which I really enjoy, and the (tech)Modded MC experience(which IC2 is part of obviously)

there, i said it :) (can finally sleep ;) )
Right, except the OP isn't asking for TE vs IC2 vs IC2 with GT vs Factorization. He's asking for TE vs IC2, in which case your arguments for Factorization and GT fall short

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Ignoring potential hard recipies here.

I would take a pulverisor/induction furnace over a macerator early for the extra dusts. (later speed might > the extra dusts)
The key thing about the pulvorisor is the extra dusts are often metals in short supply very early on (gold dust, lead), and the rich slag can boost those you are realy short on.

Being able to use a redstone storage cell, steam engine, the outputs, the redstone controls and such means early on I tend to grab a TE setup for my starting hut. (no rubber is also nice)
To begin with I used a steam engine and a wrench to turn it around, which I upgraded to a couple on a storage cube to buffer up a supply to run the full suite.

Honestly, early on, theres very little reason to use a macerator over a pulverisor. Other then familiarity. (Without the need for a macerator, the need for an I2 power suite quickly drops off too, so theres usualy no 'existing infrastructure' so to speak)

One thing from IC I DO recommend early on is the iorn furnace. I tend to not get the powered furnace till much later and just use them for a while. (And even then I replaced it with the infernal one from TC3 this time)

Vixation

Jul 29, 2019
Right, except the OP isn't asking for TE vs IC2 vs IC2 with GT vs Factorization. He's asking for TE vs IC2, in which case your arguments for Factorization and GT fall short

granted, but that doesn't make your statement true. also, IC2 -> gregtech (with probably TE on the side) is easier than TE (with IC2 on the side, or not, i guess) -> GT

so to sum this up:
IC2 is probably the best if you want to get into gregtech, which is your choice(although i highly recommend it, others would REALLY recommend otherwise), and IC2 also has a bit simpeler energy-generation.

TE is nice, configerable outputs, so can be made more compact, and gives a nice bonus early on( gold from pulverizing copper is most definetly a bonus), has a bit harder power setup requierd if you want to use it full-time. but you want to get a nice MJ power setup anyway...

Both are not that hard if you read up on them, and i'm pretty willing to help if you come across problems, but so are most people on the forums :)

HAVE FUN :)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
granted, but that doesn't make your statement true. also, IC2 -> gregtech (with probably TE on the side) is easier than TE (with IC2 on the side, or not, i guess) -> GT

so to sum this up:
IC2 is probably the best if you want to get into gregtech, which is your choice(although i highly recommend it, others would REALLY recommend otherwise), and IC2 also has a bit simpeler energy-generation.

TE is nice, configerable outputs, so can be made more compact, and gives a nice bonus early on( gold from pulverizing copper is most definetly a bonus), has a bit harder power setup requierd if you want to use it full-time. but you want to get a nice MJ power setup anyway...

Both are not that hard if you read up on them, and i'm pretty willing to help if you come across problems, but so are most people on the forums :)

HAVE FUN :)
What the hell are you talking about?
My statement is still true despite your convoluted reasons why it isn't.

Given the limits of the question, my answer was (while very basic) pretty much summing up the choices you have.

No one knows if this kid uses GT or not because he didn't mention whether he did or not and still hasn't come back.
Even if he does have GT, he didn't ask about it even in the slightest regard so yeah, pointless to mention it.

" IC2 -> gregtech " what does this mean? IC2 then gregtech? IC2 with gregtech? IC2 without gregtech?
He's also not asking for ease of use so again, your (exceedingly subjective) argument that IC2 is easier than TE also falls down.

Vixation

Jul 29, 2019
What the hell are you talking about?
My statement is still true despite your convoluted reasons why it isn't.

Given the limits of the question, my answer was (while very basic) pretty much summing up the choices you have.

No one knows if this kid uses GT or not because he didn't mention whether he did or not and still hasn't come back.
Even if he does have GT, he didn't ask about it even in the slightest regard so yeah, pointless to mention it.

" IC2 -> gregtech " what does this mean? IC2 then gregtech? IC2 with gregtech? IC2 without gregtech?
He's also not asking for ease of use so again, your (exceedingly subjective) argument that IC2 is easier than TE also falls down.

Well, to start off: IC2 -> gregtech was supposed to make clear: going from IC2 to gregtech(hence the arrow)

Also, As important I think is gregtech i think it should be taken in considderation when you choose between IC2 And TE. If he doesn't use GT, i hope this would help him take it into considderation, just to show him how beautiful IC2 can be. If he doesn't use it, he can disregard that argument, and no harm done.

I don't want to limit THE answer to IC2 or TE, but explore all the options. I do not use TE much, but there are enough people who do, and i trust them to help him on that side.

I also like to rest my case here. I will read the reply if you post one, but there is really not much more for me to say.

placeholder21

Jul 29, 2019
I'm beginning to think that I'll go with......both. I know there is a few ores that you have to pulverize and can't macerate. BTW, if anyone is wondering, I'm using ultimate, but have disabled gregtech hard mode.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I'm beginning to think that I'll go with......both. I know there is a few ores that you have to pulverize and can't macerate. BTW, if anyone is wondering, I'm using ultimate, but have disabled gregtech hard mode.
When GT is installed, both will output the same ID material, whereas without GT, Electric Furnaces and Powered Furnaces would output different ingots. That, to me, is the best thing about GT (and the primary reason I have easymode GT installed.)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a mod that always adds new stuff, and uses the same energy everything else uses, choose TE
If you want a mod with people that make plugins for it with high egos, think they are FTB owners, do whetever they want, etc. and a boring mod that never gets new stuff, choose IC2.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a mod that always adds new stuff, and uses the same energy everything else uses, choose TE
If you want a mod with people that make plugins for it with high egos, think they are FTB owners, do whetever they want, etc. and a boring mod that never gets new stuff, choose IC2.

You know you really are targeting the wrong people all together seeing as none of the developers, write FOR FTB. Its the FTB team decides what mods go into the mod pack and they chose IC2 + plugins because they liked them or felt they fit in with the kind of pack which they want. The modders develop for themselves and for their communities.

If you have a problem with the pack take it up with the FTB team and stop targeting modders who put a lot of work in to create new and interesting content for the game.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
The only "false sense of competition" is one that you are imagining. No one is saying that one mod is 'better' than another, so stop implying that we are.

My avatar is highly appropriate...