Thermal Dynamics Discussion

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
[for me] This is a massive selling point. Explosions are fun, and having actual consequences for screwing stuff up results in a more interesting experience.
(hopefully there's more things like this planned :))​
I have a distinct feeling that you will be one of a few that will enjoy this change and any future changes like it. I'm not sure those who wished for Ducts to return wished for more nuance, I'm thinking about those who disliked EIO because the pipes where tied up in all their machines and wanted ducts as they where back becasue that's what they where used to.
Think something along the lines of those who still now bitch about AE2 and it's channels.

Of course this change to ducts is beneficial to those who want some nuance in their item logistics.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
The copper fluiduct is the only one that can't handle hot and cold fluids. Once you get into the hardened ducts, that no longer is an issue.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone! I posted a Thermal Dynamics spotlight yesterday (see below) and found something interesting about the Fluctuating Itemduct. It *seems* to transport items nearly instantaneously even unpowered (definitely faster than the impulse itemduct) and only requires destabilized redstone compared to Enderium for the Warp Itemduct. This may not be intentional and has the possibility of being removed in a future release.

Otherwise, enjoy the spotlight:

Reactions: PierceSG

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone! I posted a Thermal Dynamics spotlight yesterday (see below) and found something interesting about the Fluctuating Itemduct. It *seems* to transport items nearly instantaneously even unpowered (definitely faster than the impulse itemduct) and only requires destabilized redstone compared to Enderium for the Warp Itemduct. This may not be intentional and has the possibility of being removed in a future release.

That was 100% a slip yes. It'd sort of make the Warp ducts pointless, don't you think? ;) It's already fixed in dev.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
So, I thought I had read Tema say somewhere that it would now be possible to upgrade hardened fluxducts into redstone ones, but I'm not seeing a recipe in NEI. Am I missing something or is this not a feature?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The retrievers look interesting, looks like a less PITA to craft version of EXUtils retrieval node.
I think I need to see a limitless flux fluid duct though. The mod just doesn't quite feel 100% yet, granted it does feel 98% there.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
So, I thought I had read Tema say somewhere that it would now be possible to upgrade hardened fluxducts into redstone ones, but I'm not seeing a recipe in NEI. Am I missing something or is this not a feature?

That's not a feature, no. But you can pulverize the hardened ones to get back most of the stuff. The jump between tiers is pretty massive, which is intentional.

The retrievers look interesting, looks like a less PITA to craft version of EXUtils retrieval node.
I think I need to see a limitless flux fluid duct though. The mod just doesn't quite feel 100% yet, granted it does feel 98% there.

We'll be adding more stuff, certainly. As far as a limitless duct for both flux *and* fluid...Tesseracts already cover that niche quite well, so I'm not sure there's a need for that in TD.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
We'll be adding more stuff, certainly. As far as a limitless duct for both flux *and* fluid...Tesseracts already cover that niche quite well, so I'm not sure there's a need for that in TD.
Except that leads to "uninteresting" builds where beyond some power level it's either the tesseract or *insert high-throughput mod here*

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
What I would like to see it a high pressure Fluiduct so I can pipe large amounts of steam around from a Big Reactor.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking a limitless option for JUST fluid, that's cheaper/ less "hassle" then a tesseract. When I said flux fluiduct I meant powered fluid pipe not one that transports both.
And to be frank tesseracts already make the the ducts obsolete,so that's not really an issue. What I see this mod being useful for is an intermediary solution to moving items, fluid and power. Also for the the fine tuning that the servo/filter/retrievers provide.

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
thanks a LOT for compatibility with Logistics Pipes, KingLemming.

just an idea,
perhaps there should be a "converter" that attaches to a automatic crafting table for a retriever to be able to retrieve and autocraft an item.

Also another idea is instead of Redstone Relays, you should just be able to right-click redstone onto the pipe for it to send a redstone signal.

Yet another option is for the servos and retrievers. This is useful for autocrafting, have a setting for "precise amount" or "any amount", meaning that a servo will not pull 6 wood out unless there is 6 wood in the chest/machine/etc. Same for the retrievers. With the converter and the precise option, autocrafting is fairly easy. Also, if the servo/retriever doesn't have enough items to pull out (with the precise filter setting), it will glow blue/emit a redstone signal.

On the other hand the converter should be a BLOCK, so you can pipe items better than if it were a module.

Also add existing item filters, like the versions from enderIO or the PolyMorphic ItemSink modules from logistics pipes. If an item is in the chest, let it into the chest. However, what the ender IO options offer that the LP ones don't is snapshots. You should be able to "snapshot" a chest, then take the item out and it will keep the filter settings.

And by the way, include Botania mana/TF primal mana compatibility, so you can fill a mana tablet with primal mana from a fluid transposer, and fill a mana pool with buckets of primal mana.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
And by the way, include Botania mana/TF primal mana compatibility, so you can fill a mana tablet with primal mana from a fluid transposer, and fill a mana pool with buckets of primal mana.

Vaskii has expressed pretty vehemently that he would not appreciate such compatibility.
As KL is a respectful bloke he won't make such a feature without Vaskii's blessing.
The guys maintaining Technomancy have cut things pretty close by allowing liquid mana. But it can't charge mana items in the way you suggested, it only allows for more convenient storage and distribution.
Also the way the tablet is coded might just be too incompatible and would require a hacking of Vaskii's code.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

64diamondblocks

Jul 29, 2019
But I hope the primal mana will get a use someday...maybe for Ars Magica? It has mana too.

Even without the precise/any amount setting on the retrievers, autocrafting will still be easy, you will just get the byproducts if there is not enough stuff. Retriever will end up pulling the items necessary to craft the item desired, and if there are enough materials, the converter will convert them into the desired item. If there are not enough materials, the converter will spit them back out into the pipe and they will just get retrieved instead of the desired item.

If you have no converter but have a precise retriever, you can still do easy auto crafting. Just have a cyclic assembler and have a retriever pull the items necessary. If there are not enough items, it will not pull.

So autocrafting will be possible with either the converter, precise servo/filter/retriever, or both.

Keep in mind that AE/Logistics pipes autocrafting is still possible (and easy), and I was able to set up a VERY complicated (but working) autocrafting system that took 30 minutes to set up for just two items, but it was without AE or logistics pipes or Mekanism. All the pipes were ender IO or thermal dynamics.

By the "thanks a lot for the compatibility with Logisticspipes", I mean that they are already compatible, and that I use them at home with warp itemducts, and it is faster than AE2 even, I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@64diamondblocks please use the edit feature rather than posting multiple times in quick succession. It makes it very annoying when reading through a thread if you don't. Thanks.