The rebirth of IC2 ?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
If the scanner now works for anything placed in the ground, uranium is theoretically possible to make with UUM?

Makes me honestly wonder how many efficiently used fuel rods it would take before you could get RTG's to make uranium in a timely way.

going by how long it takes to make even a single bucket of UUM in forgecraft 2.. well.. I hope you are patient. even diamonds costs bucketloads to make. I bet they make uranium costs a tankfull.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
MystCraft has incredibly cheap teleportation, but it does have nominal limits. You need to have a linking book or create a relatively large portal, and teleporting in the same world directly is not easy. I liked the legacy IC2 teleporters 'cause they were compact and anyone could use them. They were as good use of a solar and MFSU as anything.

The Portal Gun is nice, but you're limited by the colors/varieties and it's same-world. It also takes a Nether Star, which is late-game, unless you're lucky enough to find a Portal Gun in a dungeon chest.

I'd use teleporting trains only because of the coolness factor. I could make a "Dinosaur Train" setup with the teleporting happening in tunnels. My kids would love it ;-)

In one DW20 video, someone made a Mystcraft portal with a Railcraft engine pulling carts going through it. It was totally unnecessary and difficult/fussy, but very cool-looking. Points for style for sure.[DOUBLEPOST=1380667150][/DOUBLEPOST]
going by how long it takes to make even a single bucket of UUM in forgecraft 2.. well.. I hope you are patient. even diamonds costs bucketloads to make. I bet they make uranium costs a tankfull.

Yeah, UUM costs are insane, especially when balanced against quarries, but perhaps quarries are too cheap/easy, even without item and energy teleportation.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Take railcraft trains for instance. why build a rail network when ender chests are free to use, and work between dimensions without any additional cost?
Because it's more fun.

This is why I don't play any form of competitive Minecraft (nor do I often play on a server). I play for fun and I build things for fun. And yes, sometimes I rely on shortcuts like Ender Chests for the convenience factor, but at the same time I try to avoid stuff like that. Next time I start a new world, I'll remove a few mods like Applied Energistics and maybe even Ender Storage. They make the game too boring. I want to get more use out of RailCraft and Logistics Pipes, which used to be my favorite mods for transport and sorting before AE kind of took over.

I'll probably pull out IC2 and its various dependent mods as well. There's very little that IC2 offers that other mods don't also do in better (or at least more interesting and fun) ways.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
For those with the ocular fortitude to withstand the train wreck that is the ic2 forum, what do they say? Are they happy with the new mumbo jumbo? Not looking for links or anything, just curious if they're enjoying it.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
For those with the ocular fortitude to withstand the train wreck that is the ic2 forum, what do they say? Are they happy with the new mumbo jumbo? Not looking for links or anything, just curious if they're enjoying it.
Well, I had less ocular fortitude than I expected, and I'm now half-blind, but I did check out the forum. It's hard to tell what they think. Looks like they like it, or at least the people who don't like it aren't speaking up. Then again, it seems like most of the active posters there are GregTech fans, so they probably love the new IC2. Or they might just be happy because IC2 is finally in active development after being ported up through three major Minecraft versions.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
MystCraft has incredibly cheap teleportation, but it does have nominal limits. You need to have a linking book or create a relatively large portal, and teleporting in the same world directly is not easy.

8 silver dust in the ink mixer for good chance of Intra-Linking. It's not like you'll need that silver for much else. :p

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Because it's more fun.
I want to get more use out of RailCraft and Logistics Pipes, which used to be my favorite mods for transport and sorting before AE kind of took over.

Some feedback on that idea:
I recently did this on my new world (Started using methods that I normally didn't use; Staying away from lava power, not using TE conduits and using BC conductive pipes instead, etc.), and I had a blast! Creating a HUGE room for logistics pipes autocrafting was my favorite part about it!

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Holy crap. Anyone else drop their monocle in disbelief when they saw the "1 diamond per block of fibre cable" recipe?
Glass fibre cable is only really for people who are too lazy to set up the right cable for the voltage they are using. As such it should be expensive. What's wrong with simply using the correct tier of metal wire for the voltage that you are using? This change will encourage more thought in wiring design, while still having the "easy" option. Diamonds are cheap anyway, just compress all your coal and you will have loads.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Glass fibre cable is only really for people who are too lazy to set up the right cable for the voltage they are using. As such it should be expensive. What's wrong with simply using the correct tier of metal wire for the voltage that you are using? This change will encourage more thought in wiring design, while still having the "easy" option. Diamonds are cheap anyway, just compress all your coal and you will have loads.

I think you missed the redesign of wiring as a whole. Glass fiber is no longer a mid-tier, low-loss alternative. It's now the top tier cable, rated for 8192 EU/t. The next step down is HV cable at 2048 EU/t. Therefore, saying "what's wrong with just using the correct tier of metal wire" doesn't work. There is no tier of metal wire to use instead. Glass fiber is "the correct tier" if you need that much throughput.

Now recall that, due to the changes in the e-net, there's no such thing as packets anymore. Instead, all power on a line per tick gets summed up into one figure. Got five HV solars? Then you need glass fiber. Any other cable will instantly melt. Your only alternative would be multiple parallel HV cables, and that can run you into space issues quickly. (On the other hand, you'll need multiple MFSUs anyway to accept the power...)

Also, keep in mind that people mostly used it because they didn't want the 1 EU per block loss of the HV cable in classic IC2, which could get very expensive very quickly unless you spent a ton of resources on transforming the voltage up to a level that no part in the mod actually output or used, maybe with the exception of silly condensator reactors. And then spent yet more resources on transforming it down on the receiving end.

Currently, cable behavior is unimplemented. All cables can handle any amount of power, all cables have zero loss, no cable will shock you if uninsulated. When this changes at a later date, and we learn how energy loss will be implemented, then we'll be able to judge whether or not going for the top tier is worth the price.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I started off with copper insulated cable, then stepped up to gold when I needed it, and finally had to use the 1-diamond-per-block glass fibre cable when I got to 8192 EU/t. As Omicron pointed out, the IC2 Exp requires glass fibre for the highest throughput.

And, while 1 diamond per block is expensive, it's not that expensive by the time you *need* it. When my starter, slow machines were only 32 EU/t max., 1 diamond was expensive. But, by the time I had 3 or 4 transformer upgrades in 9 or 10 machines, 1 diamond per block for a total of maybe 15 to 20 blocks wasn't that expensive.

And, I learned the hard way about the new 'voltage'. When a machine or a power cable has a maximum rated voltage, that's the maximum of all suppliers summed up., ex 2048 EU/t + 2048 EU/t = 4094 EU/t, which will blow any cable below a fibre cable and will blow an MFSU.

On the bright side, you don't need an HV transformer in reverse mode to get 8192 EU/t. My power setup now for my processing machines is a bank of RTGs and Geothermals - all relatively low voltage output - feeding into four(4) MFSUs in parallel. Those MFSUs - in parallel - are driving a single glass fibre cable feeding into my machines, which all have transformer upgrades to handle 8192 EU/t.

Before that, I was using nuclear, but it's too much work for too little power. Fiendish Bees producing lava into Geothermals is maintenance-free. I also haven't setup UUM, but I find UUM to be terribly anti-climactic, so I doubt I'll bother unless there was an actual need for it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I also haven't setup UUM, but I find UUM to be terribly anti-climactic, so I doubt I'll bother unless there was an actual need for it.
The only thing I've ever used UUM for was to make water so I could flood the Nether. Is that still possible with the new UUM system? I don't think it is, since you need the item in the first place to scan.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
And, I learned the hard way about the new 'voltage'. When a machine or a power cable has a maximum rated voltage, that's the maximum of all suppliers summed up.

It's easier to imagine for yourself if you think of it in terms of power. "voltage" was a misnomer even in IC2 classic, and now that there is only EU/t left as a key figure, it's completely wrong even in the most lax of definitions. The difficult part is letting go of the old way of thinking if you're an experienced player; but once you look at it carefully, you'll see that there is only EU/t... energy over time, or in other words, power. "Voltage" is now like that spoon in The Matrix... everyone clings to it, but you will not see the truth of reality until you realize that there is no spoon ;)

The only thing I've ever used UUM for was to make water so I could flood the Nether. Is that still possible with the new UUM system? I don't think it is, since you need the item in the first place to scan.

The system is only half finished as of the current status. You can only scan a few ores and dug-up vanilla materials, for a grand total of 16 different recipes. I assume they'll come back to it at a later date to populate the list properly.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Eh, I really have very little interest in IC2. I much prefer Mekanism where at least your machines won't explode by looking at them funny and you can recover your machines without risking losing them entirely, even when done 'properly'.

Having started on RR, I'm trying it out again, and I'm incredibly disappointed. About the only use I have for it is the Electric modifier for TiCo tools. I doubt I'll ever use anything else.