The rebirth of IC2 ?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking cactus farm. That, or an SC2 treefarm.
I turn sugarcane into coal coke and then run a boiler off it. The excess sugar charcoal (currently about 1.2 million) is being fed into a seperate boiler that runs my MFR lasers

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Heeey, sorry for the necro. This is the only thread discussing the new IC2 that I've been able to find and I didn't feel like starting an entirely new thread.

Anyone else really horrified by today's DW20? The insane number of steps just to make a block of reinforced stone make it very difficult to not make comparisons to GT. Not to mention the Scanner screaming about lack of energy when it doesn't get its own personal HV line.

Reactions: Dravarden

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Heeey, sorry for the necro. This is the only thread discussing the new IC2 that I've been able to find and I didn't feel like starting an entirely new thread.

Anyone else really horrified by today's DW20? The insane number of steps just to make a block of reinforced stone make it very difficult to not make comparisons to GT. Not to mention the Scanner screaming about lack of energy when it doesn't get its own personal HV line.

Not horrified as I pretty much expect things like this. It makes no difference to me anyways, I stopped using IC2 a while ago. And I feel pretty good about it.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used IC2 in... 3 months. I still like the old IC2, though.
Not the new, not GT.
Vanilla IC2.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

I haven't watched since he did the void age. I know void age = mffs and computercraft.

I honestly haven't used IC2 in months... Well I did use it slightly just to get a Force Drill but that's it. I'm not even motivated to do that in 1.6. There's just too many steps and DC is nerfed anyways.

I suppose for me is not that IC2 has SO many steps, although that's a PITA. Its that the reward for that effort isn't worth the effort to me. Opinions vary in this area but IC2's toys and rewards are not worth the amount of grind that has been added.

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't watched since he did the void age. I know void age = mffs and computercraft.

I honestly haven't used IC2 in months... Well I did use it slightly just to get a Force Drill but that's it. I'm not even motivated to do that in 1.6. There's just too many steps and DC is nerfed anyways.

I suppose for me is not that IC2 has SO many steps, although that's a PIA. Its that the reward for that effort isn't worth the effort to me. Opinions vary in this area but IC2's toys and rewards are not worth the amount of grind that has been added.

You are right, problem is that the reward is not worth the effort. If it is easier to use just a stone pick than to use the device then it totally is worthless.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Since Dartcraft now gets a really good (albeit expensive) repair from Liquid Force and TE has been confirmed for 1.6, the final nail in the coffin has pretty much fallen on IC2 for me. Watching how horrifically designed the new power system is makes this even worse. Hell, Dire needed a new MFSU just to power TWO STUPID AND USELESS MACHINES (that's literally how bad UU is now from the looks of things) because power couldn't efficiently travel through the cables.

I thought IC2 was headed in a bad direction back when this thread started, but was hoping the devs would add something to compensate. So far, the only reason anyone uses it on FC2 is because there's no alternative.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it's all that bad, sure the new changes does not look like it would make it any more fun but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. They have actually expanded what UU matter could create by turning it in to a liquid, it's also been made easyier to create things as you don't have to remember the patterns or search for them.
That being said those scanning machines cancel this out by being god awful slow, actually the whole damn system looks slow. But if they speed it up, it's actually a much better method of UU.

Also I find it amusing that it seems Player and his ilk appear to follow Greg's balance philosophies (extra steps = challenge). I don't know why people expected otherwise.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
unless they add new ways to power stuff besides underpowered reactors, I will still think IC2 is just adding crap for no reason.

The rebirth of IC2?
More like the slow, painful death of IC2.

not sure if deja vu or you posted the same comment twice

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I don't quite comprehend turning the production of reinforced stone into a task that can't be automated.

Yes, this removes the requirement of advanced machines or materials from the production chain, so this technically makes it possible to make reinforced stone earlier in your world order.

But not being able to automate it in any way more then balances out the change, tipping the scale towards "not going to happen" instead of "that's cool".

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite comprehend turning the production of reinforced stone into a task that can't be automated.

Yes, this removes the requirement of advanced machines or materials from the production chain, so this technically makes it possible to make reinforced stone earlier in your world order.

But not being able to automate it in any way more then balances out the change, tipping the scale towards "not going to happen" instead of "that's cool".

And to add insult to injury, reinforced stone is only useful as a crafting ingredient, or as a blast shield. As far as blast shields go, most other mods add significantly less obnoxious blocks to use. In fact, Vanilla Obsidian would make sufficient blast shielding if IC2 didn't nerf it. So, long, obnoxious production chain to create a block that solves a problem the mod creates in the first place. :/

Yeah, the episodes have been extraordinarily boring since the void age bit. He has dropped some juicy details about Thaumcraft, though, so it's not all bad. :)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
In fact, Vanilla Obsidian would make sufficient blast shielding if IC2 didn't nerf it. So, long, obnoxious production chain to create a block that solves a problem the mod creates in the first place.
Obsidian is very hard but also brittle. Hit it with significant force and it will shatter in very dangerous ways. Using it as containment for explosive machinery would be ridiculous. And yes, I know there are plenty of ridiculous things in MineCraft, but I think this is entirely sensible, that you can't just use cooled-down lava to contain a nuclear explosion. It wouldn't surprise me if they come up with a way of automating reinforced stone. The first ones, you can make by hand. Later, you can build some infrastructure to automate it. Familiar?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Obsidian is very hard but also brittle. Hit it with significant force and it will shatter in very dangerous ways. Using it as containment for explosive machinery would be ridiculous. And yes, I know there are plenty of ridiculous things in MineCraft, but I think this is entirely sensible, that you can't just use cooled-down lava to contain a nuclear explosion. It wouldn't surprise me if they come up with a way of automating reinforced stone. The first ones, you can make by hand. Later, you can build some infrastructure to automate it. Familiar?

A dispenser is a right click device yes? so a block breaker/dispenser/deployer style combo should actually be capable of automating the creation of reinforced stone.