1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

The rainbow oak... to chop or not to chop?

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Someguy, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Do I cut down this beautiful rainbow oak or save it?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2013.
  1. Yeah, they're a dime a dozen, and it's obviously in the way of a nice clear plot of land.

36.8%
  2. Nooo! Saaave the treeeeeees!

63.2%
  1. Someguy

Someguy New Member

foo.png So I ended up with a rainbow oak from the Twilight Forest, without even knowing it. It's very pretty and all, but it's gone and gotten planted right in the middle of an area that I was planning to cultivate for farming/crops, etc.

I can't find a heck of a lot of info about it, except that it's supposedly "rare". What does that mean? I haven't spent a heck of a lot of time in the Twilight Forest so far, but I dont recall seeing any at all, I don't even know how I ended up with this one (I did cut down a couple of trees over there, maybe a sapling snuck back across with me).

Apart from its aesthetic appeal, does it have any practical uses?

So an informal poll... do I cut 'er down or save the tree?

2. Saice

Saice New Member

build a temple around it for it is awesome.

3. Poppycocks

Poppycocks New Member

I can't seem to find the post again, but from what I hear, you can get one each time you bonemeal a canopy sapling. Let me test real quick.

4. Lambert2191

Lambert2191 New Member

why have you got 6 wierd purple lookin philosopher stones?

5. Poppycocks

Poppycocks New Member

Oh, found the post

Don't have time to test myself though :). But I reckon getting more really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

CHOP'ER DOWN I SAY!

6. Someguy

Someguy New Member

Those aren't philosopher stones, they're soul shards (Sphax BDcraft texture pack).

I recently started checking out the Soul Shards mod for the first time, so while I'm out and about, I keep a soul shard for each of the "common" hostile mobs on the old action bar. You know, just to stock up. I don't like to waste a good deathblow. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1358727484][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks for looking that up. Looks like you've sealed the fate of that poor little tree. :)

7. EternalDensity

EternalDensity New Member

*votes to give it the chop*

Hang on, how am I the only one to vote such?

8. Bahnmor

Bahnmor New Member

Why chop it when you can burn it? Burn it with wrath fire. Mwahahahah!

9. EternalDensity

EternalDensity New Member

It was a figure of speech. (Isn't that an oxymoron? (The question is rhetorical. (Obviously.))) Wrath fire is definitely the way to go.

10. ATJ

ATJ New Member

How do you get canopy tree saplings? I've been using canopy wood in my builds so have been chopping a lot down in the Twilight but they only drop spruce saplings from what I've seen. Am I missing something? Playing beta pack.

11. Greytusks

Greytusks New Member

It was confirmed to be a bug though, it might be fixed in the next version of Twilight Forest. If you don't want to use the bug, you can find an Enchanted Forest biome in the Twilight Forest, the trees in there are mostly rainbow trees :). Using a magic map to find the biome helps. Plus, you also have the Quest Ram in that biome, which can give you diamond blocks n more if you feed him all the wool colors.[DOUBLEPOST=1358735673][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Beta A pack version does not have canopy saplings, as far as I recall. You will have to use the latest Mindcrack pack for that, or wait for Twilight Forest to be added to Direwold20's pack (he mentioned he wants it to be added), or wait for the 'will be released when its ready' Ultimate pack. Also, newer versions of Twilight Forest might get this bug fixed (the one where Canopy saplings become rainbow trees if they are left to growi by themselves).

12. Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix Too Much Free Time

Cut it- they usually drop 1 or 2 saplings, and quickly multiply.

If you loose it, grow some normal canopy saplings without bonemeal

13. Carrington

Carrington New Member

TF is in DW20 v5...unless I added it and forgot, which is possible.