The rainbow oak... to chop or not to chop?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do I cut down this beautiful rainbow oak or save it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
foo.png
So I ended up with a rainbow oak from the Twilight Forest, without even knowing it. It's very pretty and all, but it's gone and gotten planted right in the middle of an area that I was planning to cultivate for farming/crops, etc.

I can't find a heck of a lot of info about it, except that it's supposedly "rare". What does that mean? I haven't spent a heck of a lot of time in the Twilight Forest so far, but I dont recall seeing any at all, I don't even know how I ended up with this one (I did cut down a couple of trees over there, maybe a sapling snuck back across with me).

Apart from its aesthetic appeal, does it have any practical uses?

So an informal poll... do I cut 'er down or save the tree?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I can't seem to find the post again, but from what I hear, you can get one each time you bonemeal a canopy sapling. Let me test real quick.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, found the post

Both saplings use the same ID (with different metadatas to separate them). So yours always grow as Canopy trees? I will try a new creative world and see what happens when I grow the canopy trees in it, in case its my map having problems. I guess I will also take a look at the twilight config file and check the saplings ID in there.

Edit: found a solution and gained a piece of Twilight Forest knowledge that I didn't have before! My map was not bugged and I didn't have any ID conflict. It was ...

Canopy saplings that grow by themselves (over time) become Rainbow trees 100% of the time.
Canopy saplings that grow with bonemeal become Canopy trees 100% of the time.

I don't know if it's a bug or a mechanic, but it's a very interesting effect. :p

Don't have time to test myself though :). But I reckon getting more really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

CHOP'ER DOWN I SAY!

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
why have you got 6 wierd purple lookin philosopher stones?

Those aren't philosopher stones, they're soul shards (Sphax BDcraft texture pack).

I recently started checking out the Soul Shards mod for the first time, so while I'm out and about, I keep a soul shard for each of the "common" hostile mobs on the old action bar. You know, just to stock up. I don't like to waste a good deathblow. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1358727484][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, found the post

Don't have time to test myself though :). But I reckon getting more really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

CHOP'ER DOWN I SAY!

Thanks for looking that up. Looks like you've sealed the fate of that poor little tree. :)

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
I can't seem to find the post again, but from what I hear, you can get one each time you bonemeal a canopy sapling. Let me test real quick.
How do you get canopy tree saplings? I've been using canopy wood in my builds so have been chopping a lot down in the Twilight but they only drop spruce saplings from what I've seen. Am I missing something? Playing beta pack.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, found the post

CHOP'ER DOWN I SAY!

It was confirmed to be a bug though, it might be fixed in the next version of Twilight Forest. If you don't want to use the bug, you can find an Enchanted Forest biome in the Twilight Forest, the trees in there are mostly rainbow trees :). Using a magic map to find the biome helps. Plus, you also have the Quest Ram in that biome, which can give you diamond blocks n more if you feed him all the wool colors.[DOUBLEPOST=1358735673][/DOUBLEPOST]
How do you get canopy tree saplings? I've been using canopy wood in my builds so have been chopping a lot down in the Twilight but they only drop spruce saplings from what I've seen. Am I missing something? Playing beta pack.

Beta A pack version does not have canopy saplings, as far as I recall. You will have to use the latest Mindcrack pack for that, or wait for Twilight Forest to be added to Direwold20's pack (he mentioned he wants it to be added), or wait for the 'will be released when its ready' Ultimate pack. Also, newer versions of Twilight Forest might get this bug fixed (the one where Canopy saplings become rainbow trees if they are left to growi by themselves).

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
It was confirmed to be a bug though, it might be fixed in the next version of Twilight Forest. If you don't want to use the bug, you can find an Enchanted Forest biome in the Twilight Forest, the trees in there are mostly rainbow trees :). Using a magic map to find the biome helps. Plus, you also have the Quest Ram in that biome, which can give you diamond blocks n more if you feed him all the wool colors.[DOUBLEPOST=1358735673][/DOUBLEPOST]

Beta A pack version does not have canopy saplings, as far as I recall. You will have to use the latest Mindcrack pack for that, or wait for Twilight Forest to be added to Direwold20's pack (he mentioned he wants it to be added), or wait for the 'will be released when its ready' Ultimate pack. Also, newer versions of Twilight Forest might get this bug fixed (the one where Canopy saplings become rainbow trees if they are left to growi by themselves).

TF is in DW20 v5...unless I added it and forgot, which is possible.