The Problem with Mod Documentation/Repositories

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharabus

Jul 29, 2019
me! if abbreviated variables and lack of documentation are preventing you from understanding code you can't be much of a coder.

By the way, modern IDE's invalidate most of the conventions you are discussing, it is no longer the 70's man.

If you want to learn about clean coding read Martin Fowler's book Clean Code, guess what, naming conventions are low down priority wise, documentation is an actual anathema.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
me! if abbreviated variables and lack of documentation are preventing you from understanding code you can't be much of a coder.

By the way, modern IDE's invalidate most of the conventions you are discussing, it is no longer the 70's man.

If you want to learn about clean coding read Martin Fowler's book Clean Code, guess what, naming conventions are low down priority wise, documentation is an actual anathema.
So I think people are having a hard time grasping what I am saying. I'm not referring to one variable is abbreviated but when classes are.[DOUBLEPOST=1400850036][/DOUBLEPOST]

Also all a book like that is, is a long written opinion.

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
How, I am asking people who do not code to not say anything as they won't grasp the concept clearly it is not that I don't want their opinion it is that it will not always be based on proper facts and that could lead this thread the wrong way.
First of all, lay people have a right to seek an understanding and express an opinion about all things. For example, I might not know everything about good fiscal practice, but I can still vote even though I am not an economist. Your request is very elitist. Secondly, I am a very amateur coder with just a few computercraft programs under my belt. I think it is acceptable to use abbreviated variable names inside blocks of limited scope especially when the variable is very temporary. I often use t as the name of temporary tables that exist for a short time in a code block. It is practical and as far as I am concerned, not a problem.
Finally, I find it ironic that your request was poorly spelt and clunky; it was difficult to read to be honest. If you are going to ask people to comply with code-writing conventions and bar non-coders from commenting, checking your own spelling would be a good place to start.
I a going to have to ask If you are unfamiliar with coding please do not say anything. It is not that your opinion is not wanted it is that it will not be a clear cut good opinion because you do not understand it the way coder will.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
So I think people are having a hard time grasping what I am saying. I'm not referring to one variable is abbreviated but when when classes are.[DOUBLEPOST=1400850036][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also all a book like that is, is a long written opinion.
so are your statements. But Martin Fowler is recognized as someone who generally knows what he's talking about.

Pharabus

Jul 29, 2019
so are your statements. But Martin Fowler is recognized as someone who generally knows what he's talking about.
I'm pretty sure he didn't know who Martin Fowler is, which kinda invalidates his opinion a little IMHO, though calling it "Object Based code" also did that.

Reactions: YX33A

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, lay people have a right to seek an understanding and express an opinion about all things. For example, I might not know everything about good fiscal practice, but I can still vote even though I am not an economist. Your request is very elitist. Secondly, I am a very amateur coder with just a few computercraft programs under my belt. I think it is acceptable to use abbreviated variable names inside blocks of limited scope especially when the variable is very temporary. I often use t as the name of temporary tables that exist for a short time in a code block. It is practical and as far as I am concerned, not a problem.
Finally, I find it ironic that your request was poorly spelt and clunky; it was difficult to read to be honest. If you are going to ask people to comply with code-writing conventions and bar non-coders from commenting, checking your own spelling would be a good place to start.
So two things it is fine that you abbreviate in a private used coding environment that only you will be using and another thing you really never want to bring up spelling in grammar in a forum people are from all over the world and it can be very offensive to someone not so good at speaking English.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
So two things it is fine that you abbreviate in a private used coding environment that only you will be using and another thing you really never want to bring up spelling in grammar in a forum people are from all over the world and it can be very offensive to someone not so good at speaking English.
You are seriously talking about offensive? After you offended
- half the coders here
- all non coders
WOW... just... WOW! ;)

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
You are seriously talking about offensive? After you offended
- half the coders here
- all non coders
WOW... just... WOW! ;)
I don't want to get to off topic but a forum used by people all over the world shouldn't have people telling others that th don't speak English well enough.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to get to off topic but a forum used by people all over the world shouldn't have people telling others that th don't speak English well enough.
and a forum used by people all over the world shouldn't have people telling others that they shouldn't give their opinion. Or reprimand others for their coding style to stay on topic. especially not with bold, colored lettering

Pharabus

Jul 29, 2019
just to correct myself, Bob Martin wrote Clean Code (so even more reason to read it!) I am currently reading Martin Fowler's refactoring which is why I mixed them up (Martin, Martin??), Martin Fowler's books on refactoring are still a very good read for anyone wanting to learn good programming skills.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know where you are from and I don't know what your first language is. What I do know is that your English is usually good, good enough that you know the difference between a and am, and if you are going to poke holes in other peoples' language use (be it coding language or otherwise) you should make sure that your language is impeccable. Moreover, I was talking specifically to you, not all the other people whose first language is not English.

I know people make mistakes with their language, often simply because of typos, other times because they are speaking a second language. I don't comment on people's language mistakes until they start censuring others.

EDIT
So I think people are having a hard time grasping what I am saying. I'm not referring to one variable is abbreviated but when classes are.

I also wanted to say that in your original post the word variable appears 4 times and the word class doesn't appear at all. Its not until later that you start talking about classes. So what is your argument about?

Last edited:

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
lol, you're correct. I knew Clean Code and i knew Fowler (both from refactoring and his patterns of enterprise architecture).

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
SmileyPopcorn.gif

Simma' down

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
After more then 15 years coding experience at different companies and languages (cobol, pl1, vb.net, SQL-galore for mainframes and windows systems).
And I've noticed something during those years. Each company, I worked for, has it's own house-style for coding (naming convention, indents, tabs, you name it)
Some even define on how much space exactly between IF, THEN and ELSE IF should be. One wants 3 spaces while the others wanted 4. Third one wanted hard 'tabs' instead of spaces.

And quoting Oracle, meh. It's just one of many with their own naming-convention, btw who has a different SQL language then Microsoft, Firebird/Interbase or Sybase for that matter.
Even Microsoft is different with it's own SQL language, SQL-server queries (nice and clean) and MS-Access queries (hello there, with your 20k brackets while having one simple inner join).

Just be glad you were allowed to see their code, no matter how horrible it is.

Last edited:

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
SmileyPopcorn.gif

Simma' down

Probably the only thing so far in this thread I agree with.
Opinions are allowed. OP is allowed to state it as you are allowed to state your own but that doesn't give you or the OP the right to argue and try win the other person over.

tl;dr - state own opinion, No arguing with others about their opinion.

I a going to have to ask If you are unfamiliar with coding please do not say anything. It is not that your opinion is not wanted it is that it will not be a clear cut good opinion because you do not understand it the way coder will.
referring to this comment. Everyone on the forum can state their own opinion how good or bad their coding know how is.
You can't refrain someone from commenting.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
referring to this comment. Everyone on the forum can state their own opinion how good or bad their coding know how is.
You can't refrain someone from commenting.
Yes I know I was just asking this not telling because I do not want anyone making assumptions based on false information.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
// Returns Pyure's opinion
public static string LookGiftHorseInMouth()
{
// prepare an opinion.
string opinion = "I love when I share my code with others, at my expense, only to have them complain that its not presented to their standards. ";

// x, because we all do counters with x. I refuse to name it "mySpecialCounter"
int x;

// This is a for loop?
for (x = 0; x < 1000; x++)
{
opinion += opinion; // Um don't actually do this; that's a big string.​
}
return opinion;​
}

Reactions: ThorinNL and YX33A
Status
Not open for further replies.