The Great Coding Language Thread

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Similar in those things, but they are put to very different purposes. For example, the problem domain of the two languages is entirely different as are the goals of the langauges
Goals? JS's only goal is "client-side webpage scripting", or at least that's the only thing it's useful for.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Goals? JS's only goal is "client-side webpage scripting", or at least that's the only thing it's useful for.
That is exactly the goal of JS.

The goal of Lua is as follows
an embeddable scripting language that is simple, efficient, portable, and lightweight.
Certainly usable for client-side webpage scripting, but much wider application

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
We aren't arguing, we're discussing how JS and Lua aren't similar to each other
I think you mean "I'm". ;)
That is exactly the goal of JS.

The goal of Lua is as follows

Certainly usable for client-side webpage scripting, but much wider application
I'm about 80% sure that JS is also used as an embedded scripting language. One second, google...
Yeah, on the goal front, JS and Lua are pretty much identical. (Source)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Lua isn't really an object-oriented language. Its object-oriented functionality is difficult, yes, but it's lightweight and pretty similar to JS. Oh, and technically it's functional (functions are just anonymous functions assigned to a variable name), so whatever reason you had for hating FP...

Reasons, multiple. I was raised an OO programmer. I want to store data in a coherent, useful manner? I look to classes to encapsulate it and provide the functionality I need in that particular context. Whenever I use CC, I find myself invariably and inevitably using at least a few global variables, and everything I learned screams at me every time I do that. Makes me wish PowerCraft and Weasel got bigger than CC, I can stand Java a lot more than Lua.

I can use functional languages, I just don't like it. :p

Reactions: Padfoote

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't want to use global variables, then minimize. I'm actually thinking of making a Ruby CC because I dislike Lua. Anyway, you could easily just make a namespace for all of the variables you use. traj.vars.x and traj.vars.y will be much harder to unintentionally overwrite than just x and y in the global namespace.

Kyuz_

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, can we code minecraft mods with Ruby ? And wich langugage do you think is better for starters ? I need some advice cause I wanna start coding but i'm confused between Java & Ruby .
Sorry for bad english :c

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, can we code minecraft mods with Ruby ? And wich langugage do you think is better for starters ? I need some advice cause I wanna start coding but i'm confused between Java & Ruby .
Sorry for bad english :c
  • Coding a mod with Ruby is theoretically possible. It would be a pain and very difficult to do though.
  • If you're looking to learn to program, I'd recommend starting with Python.
  • If you're looking to learn to mod, then definitely Java.

Kyuz_

Jul 29, 2019
  • Coding a mod with Ruby is theoretically possible. It would be a pain and very difficult to do though.
  • If you're looking to learn to program, I'd recommend starting with Python.
  • If you're looking to learn to mod, then definitely Java.
I want to learn programming ( in general ) and also I would like to make mods, so I think i'm gonna start Phyton and after i'll do some Java . But, does it take too long to learn Phyton ?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I want to learn programming ( in general ) and also I would like to make mods, so I think i'm gonna start Phyton and after i'll do some Java . But, does it take too long to learn Phyton ?
Wouldn't know. I don't know Python, and don't plan to learn.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Python doesn't take too long to learn. Another good candidate would be Visual BASIC.Net as its keywords and whatnot are more plain-language instead of symbolic and/or implied. The important part is to simply learn the basics of programming in general: what control flow is and how to manipulate it, how to work with data structures, and so on. Once you get that down, learning most languages is made much easier. I say "most" because some languages like C and C++ have some special features (like pointers) that can muddy the waters and make things difficult to understand, at first.

My advice is to try relatively simple languages like Python and VB.Net and see which one fits you best before diving into one in any great detail. The better your first language fits you, the easier it will be to learn.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I would avoid suggesting platform-specific languages as we don't know what OS he's using and the cross-platform .NET runtime isn't out yet. :p

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I'm...not saying they can't work together, Striking, I'm just saying I don't like functional programming. Do not twist my words, please.

I do not like it, that is my preference. I have spent all but a very tiny few hours of my programming time using object-oriented languages and methods. Functional programming is, to me, an alien paradigm that just doesn't agree with me. Its similar to why I don't like eggplant: I've tried it, and I have found it to not be my particular cup of tea. If you like functional programming, more power to ya. I, however, am happy in my own sphere, I can do anything I want to inside it and I know how to do it, or can at least learn how to do so with some modicum of effort.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm...not saying they can't work together, Striking, I'm just saying I don't like functional programming. Do not twist my words, please.
I wasn't saying that you were, it's just a common fallacy I see in people who dislike the paradigm.
I do not like it, that is my preference. I have spent all but a very tiny few hours of my programming time using object-oriented languages and methods. Functional programming is, to me, an alien paradigm that just doesn't agree with me. Its similar to why I don't like eggplant: I've tried it, and I have found it to not be my particular cup of tea. If you like functional programming, more power to ya. I, however, am happy in my own sphere, I can do anything I want to inside it and I know how to do it, or can at least learn how to do so with some modicum of effort
So...don't learn something because it doesn't agree with you at first glance? If we all did that all the time I don't think any of us would have learned how to program. I don't care if you like FP, I just think there are good lessons to be learned from the paradigm that all types of programmers will need to learn in the coming world of many cored (like 128), where each core will be less powerful than they are now but we have more, machines where multithreading is a must. Choosing not to learn some new paradigm because you can do everything you want to in the current one would have left us with assembly forever

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Not at first glance, after attempted use. I don't do rash judgments, dude. I tried to use it, I didn't like it, so I no longer use it, its as simple as that. Also, functional programming isn't the only thing that can do threading. I can do threading in 10 minutes using C#. Functional programming offers me nothing but additional headaches for little to no extra benefit. Unless I go into some high-science job like working at NASA, I have absolutely no cause to use functional programming. I will likely end up in an office and while I most certainly enjoy what I do, I am also going into it to earn a paycheck. If I learn Haskell, let's say, what exactly does that translate to in terms of extra income when most jobs now are using C++, .Net, or Java? It doesn't translate to a single extra penny, for me. Yes, I'm well aware that I'm being extremely pragmatic about this. I have limited time and energy, I'd rather not expend it on something that won't improve my quality of life. I spent most of my life dirt freakin poor, I'll worry about learning fancy stuff after I have enough to where I can live comfortably.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Not at first glance, after attempted use. I don't do rash judgments, dude. I tried to use it, I didn't like it, so I no longer use it, its as simple as that. Also, functional programming isn't the only thing that can do threading. I can do threading in 10 minutes using C#. Functional programming offers me nothing but additional headaches for little to no extra benefit. Unless I go into some high-science job like working at NASA, I have absolutely no cause to use functional programming. I will likely end up in an office and while I most certainly enjoy what I do, I am also going into it to earn a paycheck. If I learn Haskell, let's say, what exactly does that translate to in terms of extra income when most jobs now are using C++, .Net, or Java? It doesn't translate to a single extra penny, for me. Yes, I'm well aware that I'm being extremely pragmatic about this. I have limited time and energy, I'd rather not expend it on something that won't improve my quality of life. I spent most of my life dirt freakin poor, I'll worry about learning fancy stuff after I have enough to where I can live comfortably.
It isn't the only thing that can do threading. It is the only thing that can do massive threading in a whole system without massive headache