The Great Coding Language Thread

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Discuss your favorite coding languages here!
  • Ruby is an Object-Oriented Language with Functional elements that follows the Perl philosophy
  • Clojure is a Lisp dialect that runs on the JVM
  • C and C++ are widely accepted performance-friendly languages
  • Python is often confused with Ruby, however the two are far removed. Python in fact has very strict requirements on whitespace, and has only one way to do many things.
  • JRuby is a JVM implementation of Ruby. It has some things that C Ruby does not have and lacks some things C Ruby has.
Misc:

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Trajing, did you create this thread solely so that you'd have somewhere to link to when Striking and I hijack random threads with the endless Clojure vs Haskell debate? :p

Anyhow, Haskell is cool and does a lot of things that are very difficult to pull off in any other language. Like non-determinism- I don't know of any language out there (other than Clojure, incedentally, although there's surely some other functional languages out there that can) that can handle computations that don't know what value to return and just return several possibilities in any efficient way.

Also, the haskell quicksort is really short. In three lines of code:
qSort :: (Ord a) => [a] -> [a]
qSort (x:xs) = (qSort . filter (< x) $ xs) ++ [x] ++ (qSort . filter (>= x) $ xs)
qSort [] = []

Reactions: 1SDAN

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
a) It's my thread. I do what I want there.
b) I learned Java as my first language and I'm doing fine.
a) Let's keep on topic, shall we?
b) Python is the standard beginner's language for teaching basic concepts of programming. I'm not saying that you have to start on it, merely that many people agree that it is a good starting language.

Reactions: Dante12129

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Part Two, Why One Should Learn Python As Their First Language
One way to do things. It's generally easier to do things when there aren't so many ways to do the same thing. To see the main reason why I'm not recommending Ruby, just google "calling commands from Ruby scripts".
Standard. Python is a widely accepted language in many fields.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
a) Let's keep on topic, shall we?
b) Python is the standard beginner's language for teaching basic concepts of programming. I'm not saying that you have to start on it, merely that many people agree that it is a good starting language.
Actually it can be fairly good for starter game development as well, a bit weak but definitely not a bad option.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Part One, Why Ruby is a Good Language
Here's a blog post of mine on the subject. Also, Ruby is very powerful. @Strikingwolf will back me up on this. A few brief points:
-FP
-OOP
-Metaprogramning
-Dynamically Typed
-Perl Philosophy
-Established Library System (RubyGems)