The Great Coding Language Thread

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I can understand not liking pure FP. Using immutability all the time can be a hassle. But what about unpure FP. Of the type that Ruby usually adheres to where you try to not mutate variables, but if you do that's fine and where you use constructs like map and other HOFs commonly.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I don't think I've ever used Ruby. I wouldn't be adverse to learning, at some point, but I'm trying to spend more time polishing my skills in a few languages as opposed to learning new ones. I'll likely be entering the job market in a few years, and I want as many techniques in the big three languages under my belt as possible.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I don't think I've ever used Ruby. I wouldn't be adverse to learning, at some point, but I'm trying to spend more time polishing my skills in a few languages as opposed to learning new ones. I'll likely be entering the job market in a few years, and I want as many techniques in the big three languages under my belt as possible.
Oh and by the way, Ruby on Rails programmers are up and coming professionally

On top of that Ruby is really cool on a purely elegance standpoint. Anyway, commenting on what you said on entering the job market. I'm younger (14) and thus am trying to learn as many languages and paradigms as possible before I specialize.

In other news, it looks like I may be writing a package manager for Emily
https://github.com/mcclure/emily/issues/7

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Oh and by the way, Ruby on Rails is one of the up and coming professional programming languages :p

On top of that Ruby is really cool on a purely elegance standpoint. Anyway, commenting on what you said on entering the job market. I'm younger (14) and thus am trying to learn as many languages and paradigms as possible before I specialize.

In other news, it looks like I may be writing a package manager for Emily
https://github.com/mcclure/emily/issues/7
RoR is not a programming language. It's a framework.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Ruby's not a bad language to learn, and the Rails framework can do a lot -- both easier to learn than a lot of alternatives, and commonly used in industry -- but I would caution that Ruby on Rails has some odd performance tuning stuff that can catch you by surprise when you go from a test to production (even small ~10 web user) environment. It's actually good to get exposed to things like nginx or lightspeed configuration and compressed assets like this, rather than months after a site launch, but it's something to be aware about.

Functional Programming isn't too heavily used outside of academia or today, but there are advantages, both from a design and implementation perspective. It can be worthwhile to toy around with something like Haskell even if you don't intend to use it now, as it or the underlying concepts may be useful down the road as intense multithreading and especially distributed computing become more important.

That said, getting to the point where you can build a portfolio-grade project in the languages you've already started to learn is much more important. It looks like you all are well beyond that point, though.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I might be, I don't really know. I just prefer to err on the side of caution til I'm in the clear. Besides, the more advanced techniques I learn in one language, the more easily I can then port said techniques into another should the need and/or desire arise.