Thaumcraft 4 - The Update Thread! Now With Infusion Crafting

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
From his teasers and the one interview, the gadgets seem to retain their original function but may be created in new ways, or have new configuration. I like the option of one wand that can utilize multiple functions.

The specifics are still vague on vis , enchants, and material advantages. It's definitely looking like he's trying to make it less of a grind.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumonomicon looks way better, no need to have it organized OCD style (which it got totally destroyed when TT came in)
Seems that the research is something hard to figure out, easy to make aspects (if you know what + what equals what) but not to create the research itself

And feels like a whole new game, I really hope it comes soon.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
What if taint instead of simply eating ores consumed them and within the chunk spawned a creature that was an amalgam of all the resources it has consumed.

An alternative would be consuming resources and producing structures within the top soil like spikes or other things made out of these resources as a sort of lure or bait for yet other terrifying creatures that could consume the occupied miner.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It's definitely looking like he's trying to make it less of a grind.

QFT.

By the time I have enough mats to reasonably research the mid-to-high-end Thaumcraft3 stuff, I already have better alternatives from the other mods, which I pretty much needed/wanted to *get* the mats to research the high-end TC3 stuff.

TC3 is an awesome mod, but in the balance of the other perhaps imbalanced mods, there's not much reason outside of a few handy gadgets like the Wand of Equal Trade and Portable Hole to dive into TC3 other than the journey of doing TC3. But, once you've done it a few times, researching a decent TC3 tree every world reset is more grindy and less fun.

The next world reset, I think it would be fun to use *only* TC3 for a few weeks with no other mods. It seems to be balanced with that in mind. The golems on a small scale, ex. less than 10 total, are pretty fun by themselves, CC turtles, quarries, Forestry/MFR/SC farms, MFFS, etc,., aside.

alex morey

Jul 29, 2019
If I had to hazard a guess, it would be the fire, water, air, earth, as well as two aspects he has been showing off in his videos, order and chaos.
Can't wait for this.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Oof. The only reason I finished that game was because I used a walkthrough to get everything. If this method is used... I'm not sure I'd continue using Thaumcraft very much.

I take the opposite view--I welcome the new research system because it's more possible to use a walkthrough--more than just "randomly use items with the right aspects until you get what you need", I can now walk through and see exactly how much of each research aspect I'll need in order to research a specific thing. (After trying it out once blind, of course--the first time blind is almost always fun. :) )

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
This looks very interesting... and time consuming.

I rather have a time consuming fun minigame (I would say more... realistic?) for research, that you will end up getting the hang of it in a short period of time instead of a black hole table that eats your items when you spam click a magnifying glass and it has always the same process.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I rather have a time consuming fun minigame (I would say more... realistic?) for research, that you will end up getting the hang of it in a short period of time instead of a black hole table that eats your items when you spam click a magnifying glass and it has always the same process.

Agreed. If I don't have to genocide the entire cow species for enough leather to get Tutamen aspect researched on a single item, I think it's already an improvement. :p