Thaumcraft 4.1 essentia tubes...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
So they nerfed them completely... I watched DW20s spotlight on it but using tons of valves seems counter-protective. The whole point of them is for automation, but if I have to turn 50 valves whenever I want to drain something, it's easier just to use phials.

What am I missing? Any screenshots on Thaumcraft 4.1 automation?

Reactions: RedBoss

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
It definitely prohibits centralization of automated essentia. If you think of it like BC/RC where everything is meant to be localized, it will make more sense to you. Not going to effect me.

This is how I am going to bridge that troubled water. I will need to automate and self sustain stuff for herba essentia. Most items including that also carry 1 or 2 other essentias. Instead of using tubes and valves, I am going to allow a cooker thingy above the furnace thingy per essentia and pipe that to a jar per cooker thingy. A cooker will only house one essentia and you can prevent the joining of pipes. Those jars will feed out to a essentia mirror out to its remote locations. Golems are cool, but I don't want 8-10 golems running around getting in my way.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read in other threads, it was mainly done to counter lag. If you had enough jars with tubes leading to them it caused a lot of lag.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Plus, to my mind, it defeats the whole point of golems and made things alot easier. Everyone used golems, then the tubes arrived on the scene, golems were abandoned.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Eh, given all the other positive changes that came with 4.1 I can live with this. An alchemical golem will take over most of what the essentia pipes did, except those cases where you were just making one or two of something to recharge a lamp of growth or whatever, in which case the pipes will do just fine.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Essentia pipes are now best used for specialized automation tasks, like manufacturing items in an alchemical construct or generating herba for lamps of growth. Alchemy golems are now the best option for more generalized tasks, like filling up racks of warded jars to supply an infusion altar. It's a good change, since it lets both strategies fulfill separate, complementary functions.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
At first I was a bit mythed by the change but codaPDX sums it up nicely that it allows both systems to succeed in different rolls. I was even more worried about the removal of the manual filling up of jars by placing them under the alembic. I am glad I read this thread though because now I see that phials can empty essentia from an alembic.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
At first I was a bit mythed by the change but codaPDX sums it up nicely that it allows both systems to succeed in different rolls. I was even more worried about the removal of the manual filling up of jars by placing them under the alembic. I am glad I read this thread though because now I see that phials can empty essentia from an alembic.

You can also just right click on the alembic with a jar in your hand. Much faster.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
As others have said use the golems for automation. Me, I want to see if I can do a big build with valves, especially since they can be triggered by redstone.

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
I will need to automate and self sustain stuff for herba essentia. Most items including that also carry 1 or 2 other essentias. Instead of using tubes and valves, I am going to allow a cooker thingy above the furnace thingy per essentia and pipe that to a jar per cooker thingy. A cooker will only house one essentia and you can prevent the joining of pipes. Those jars will feed out to a essentia mirror out to its remote locations. Golems are cool, but I don't want 8-10 golems running around getting in my way.

Protip: leafs have only herba ;)

Reactions: RedBoss

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Protip: leafs have only herba ;)
Of course. Can't self sustain farm it though... maybe have 2 mfr tree farms. One to supply wood and saps and another to plant those saps and farm the leaves and more charcoal.... interesting twist for automation.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
If you really want, you can set up a line of labeled jars with valve pipes and have a redstone pulse to the pipes one after another- not efficient in the least, but golem free.

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
Of course. Can't self sustain farm it though... maybe have 2 mfr tree farms. One to supply wood and saps and another to plant those saps and farm the leaves and more charcoal.... interesting twist for automation.
Just had a thought, but cant test myself atm. By using junglewood, you would get vines as extra and those to my memory have herba only too. So one harvester should be enough and self sustained!

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be great, if it was released. AE Essentia Storage, OH BABY!
It's making it's way through at the moment. Not sure when, but the author was working on the research the other day and figuring out how to place a new aspect on to some items.

In reguards to the new tubes I must admit i'm not exactly fond of them either but I'm figuring out ways around the new mechanics and managing things just fine. Automating alumentem for faster furnace clean out. Making use of the labeling of alembics, and the ability to separate pipes from other pipes have slowly mish mashed there way into my head enabling me to find their uses again. Their major issue at the moment is figuring out the essential movement as they needed to scrap the way they were going to do it before.

I've also found a use for the new pipe that allows you to stockpile essential and route it different ways. Which is rather handy since there was little TX could do to work around the new change. It'll certainly bring use to his own sealed jars and the labeled tubes... As well as the transvector interface for when you have eight aspects sitting in the buffer tube.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Plus, to my mind, it defeats the whole point of golems and made things alot easier. Everyone used golems, then the tubes arrived on the scene, golems were abandoned.
But golems are rather stupid(as in their ai) and terrible at path finding.

You can also just right click on the alembic with a jar in your hand. Much faster.
Roughly the equivalent of what i did constantly before 1.6.

Though, currently i'm working on a stupidly complex system of furnaces and alembics hooked up to specific jars. So, i'll have a wall of jars with a wall of alembics and cookers behind it with a piping system to throw things into the furnaces. It'll take a lot of alembics and furnaces, but it'll be really cool if i actually get desperate enough to build it.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Also instead of having a wall of jars. Put the jars in a chest and pull them out when ever you need to cook them up and/or infuse with them. Tubes in my mind now are for those that were wanting asthetics or just lazy like me.