Thaumcraft 3 Cheat Sheet (SPOILERS!)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Well this thread started a good while back. That said, I'd still agree with the torches thing, not necessarily because of how easy they are to get, but because they give 1 lux and that's it. It makes it easier to not get extra flux when the item has a single aspect.

Kinnichi

Jul 29, 2019
You can get Praecantation (Wand/magic) for 'free' if you have 8 tallow and a crucible with one arcane alembic by using a glass phial to take the aspect out. You get your tallow back because tallow has 4 corpus and needs 4 corpus to make. 8 tallow in the crucible will send 8 praecantation to the alembic, enough to take it out with a phial, and return your tallow in full. With the wand of the adept you can do 32 tallow at once if you have 2 alembics attached to the crucible.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Hahahah. Just think of Aura as Coal or maybe Iron and you won't feel so bad. It IS plentiful, it's just really hard to get it renewable. I just don't think the Tallow and Thaumium "exploits" are worth wasting Aura on.

Oh it is even heavier than coal^^

The point is nodes only start drawing infused stones if they get really low on aura. But they will draw aura from nearby nodes and depending on where you are you should have about 5.000 - 10.000 aura avaible before you start draining your ore (I think they drain if the node drops under 25%, but I'm not entirely sure, maybe the process speedens up in that case and only became noticeable). The other thing is that you might have mined all the ore nearby nonetheless. It is a good idea to mine all infused stone for the shards, because you normally mine near your base at the start so mining the shards before you start abusing the local aura is fine. So all the infused stone which turns into dull shards are the ones you missed mining anyway. So you normally do not loose them, since they nodes draw power from infused stone which are either under nearby nodes, where you do not mine anyway or which you missed while mining.

If you are in a biome like desert or swamp or possibly also jungle you can search for temples or which-huts to place your thaumcraft-stuff since they normally have pretty strong nodes.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Well for my new world I kinda got both lucky and unlucky. Very close to my spawn point is a burrow hill, and I'm very close to a desert where a pyramid's node had gone haywire and fused with another node, so there's a fair bit of flux in my starting area. I need to find more silverwood saplings so I can put more "filters" around my base to help with the evil wisps that sometimes spawn.

If you get the research for it done you can also start making crystal clusters which will supply I believe it was stated as 1 aura per 5 minutes per cluster, and they can overfill nodes. With enough of those and a big enough node you can start creating more infused stone if you let the aura levels get high enough, so over time it becomes a system that feeds itself, albeit slowly.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
More interestingly, you do NOT need to use armor to make Tutamen, the armor aspect. Fire resistance gives you a single Tutamen, so, if you're late game and have a steady supply of slimes and blazes, there you go. No need to waste valuables.

Leather is Tutamen

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, though I would have to disagree with giving marble the "wealth" aspect, at least in its raw form. It's really far too common for that, and even with smooth sandstone you have to process the sand/sandstone to get the aspect. Basalt for the fire aspect though probably wouldn't be too bad, but it would probably end up with saxum and tenebris much like obsidian.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Also if you're lucky enough to have a village with a blacksmith in it you can do some trades. Of course you could also just make the items instead, but emeralds aren't hard to get when you have a nice set of vaillagers, such as those that take wheat, wool, and raw beef. I managed to get a really good set and a priest that gives both glowstone and redstone, so I'll never have trouble there at the very least.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Add furnace to ignis. I believe it has one ignis, but it is obviously very cheap.
Also stone tools are good for instrumentum.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair this list is very out of date and there's a much more comprehensive list on the (I believe) unofficial wiki here: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Aspects

Having said that, wouldn't it also be possible to create a program in computer craft so you can type in the name of an aspect and it return a list of items with that aspect, how much of that aspect it has, and display it on a monitor? I'm not very familiar with CC but that did look like something that was possible.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
The mod author I'd suspect? So in this case, Azanor :)
More likely, Eloraam (since RedPower is her mod, y'know). There's a Thaumcraft API which I assume mod authors can use to add aspects to their items/etc. It would be a lot of work for Azanor to keep up with each and every mod out there, adding and tweaking aspects for every single item!

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
More likely, Eloraam (since RedPower is her mod, y'know). There's a Thaumcraft API which I assume mod authors can use to add aspects to their items/etc. It would be a lot of work for Azanor to keep up with each and every mod out there, adding and tweaking aspects for every single item!

I think some items got aspects by azanor, like refined iron, tin, copper, bronze etc. I guess he also did nicolite and other redpower-stuff. Only soaryn explicitly stated that he added the aspects to xycraft, but since only his stuff broke in the newer release I think the other aspects are part of thaumcraft, not the respective mods.

And yes Stone Tools and Weapons are nice for their respecting aspects (or also wood) and charcoal is one of the most obvious sources of ignis. Also note that almost used up tools or wands are great for research, since they might break soon anyway. A good source for magic is greatwood, which is common enough to waste it and also pretty much renewable (but well chiseled sandstone is a option as good as).

Also enchantments give a large amount of magic.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For magic don't forget that blaze rods give it, so if you're at the point in the game where you can easily farm rods you can relatively easily get both fire and magic. Netherwart is also a fairly decent source of ignis.

Reactions: RedBoss

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
Cobblestone and Smoothstone are the best source for Saxum and Fractus! Why aren't they on here?

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
The guide is, frankly, not that good (and clearly not updated anymore), so you best look elsewhere for useful TC3 aspect information.

Icet44

Jul 29, 2019
What's wrong with you all? The best source of Mutatio is slimeballs! They're cheap, but only contain 2. That isn't really a problem if you live in a swamp or have a farm going!

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
You're new here aren't you? That was just recently added to TC3. Before Azanor added more sources of Mutatio it was restricted to Netherwart and Wispy Essences. But yea, nice try.

Reactions: RedBoss