TC4.1: Getting research points

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I know this has been asked a million times, but I still cannot find a decent answer.

As usual, I'm out of Aer aspects, and I've hit a wall.

I'm out of stuff to scan as I scanned everything that I could get my hands on in every dimension I have, but I'm still short.

I usually get the answer of "surround table with crystal clusters and bookshelves" but nobody says if there's a minimum amount of shelves required, or what the best shape is (like the enchanting table).

I put a bunch of clusters and bookshelves near my research table, and all I got overnight (yes, the area is chunkloaded) was 1 aer point. 1 in over 8 hours!

HALP :(

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Make the deconstruction table and deconstruct stuff in there, find out basic stuff that are easy to farm or get and deconstruct them there, cant really tell you as I havent focused too much on thumcraft in my current world, but i think feathers !? have them

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
fly around and scan aura nodes. It is how i got the aer points I needed to finish all the research. What I did was make myst craft worlds for this.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I know this has been asked a million times, but I still cannot find a decent answer.

As usual, I'm out of Aer aspects, and I've hit a wall.

I'm out of stuff to scan as I scanned everything that I could get my hands on in every dimension I have, but I'm still short.

I usually get the answer of "surround table with crystal clusters and bookshelves" but nobody says if there's a minimum amount of shelves required, or what the best shape is (like the enchanting table).

I put a bunch of clusters and bookshelves near my research table, and all I got overnight (yes, the area is chunkloaded) was 1 aer point. 1 in over 8 hours!

HALP :(
That one Aer point is the freebie point; you only get that one max at a time(per table). It's still pretty useful, it's totally free yet can be combined with other things to get real research points, and with advanced research skills, that freebie can even be turned into a real point sometimes.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Thanks for all your replies :)

Also, related question: The node in a jar thingy ... is it possible to trap a node that's within a silverwood tree?

Leaving that bark block there doesn't work, and of course breaking that block breaks the node.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all your replies :)

Also, related question: The node in a jar thingy ... is it possible to trap a node that's within a silverwood tree?

Leaving that bark block there doesn't work, and of course breaking that block breaks the node.
It does work even if the node is in a block, but IIRC it needs oak planks on top, you have to right click it in the correct location with a wand with enough Vis, and if you haven't unlocked that research yet, it doesn't work regardless.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I unlocked the research fine.

I noticed on youtube vids what when you build the jar around the node, it kinda changes and loses the borders when completed, like a multiblock structure.

Isn't happening in my case around a silverwood block.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I unlocked the research fine.

I noticed on youtube vids what when you build the jar around the node, it kinda changes and loses the borders when completed, like a multiblock structure.

Isn't happening in my case around a silverwood block.
Unless it was changed in TC4.1, something odd is going happening on your end.

You have the node surrounded in glass blocks, yes? All six sides and finished the cube, the placed the slabs on top?(sorry, I totally meant to say slabs in my last post)

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
As metioned before use disenchanting table as it will provide things quickly. it is good idea to have magic bean farm as they provide you with specific aspects you want. Other good thing that is renewable is nether wart and flint as they break down into almost any aspects.

Scanning any nodes you find is good idea as well I have my googles of revealing and just scan any nodes I find. Combing this two methodes is usualy enough.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Crafting tables. They deconstruct with 100% chance to be any promal except ignis. And use one of every crystal clauter, and ONLY if you have TT installed add bookshelves. Just do as many bookshelves as you can

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Crafting tables. They deconstruct with 100% chance to be any promal except ignis. And use one of every crystal clauter, and ONLY if you have TT installed add bookshelves. Just do as many bookshelves as you can
I'm fairly certain everyone knows this by now, as a reminder.(except that bit about TT and Bookshelves; mind explaining that part?)

OP had an issue understanding the freebie point and waited 8 hours trying to get another one; I doubt this info would be revolutionary to the OP.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly certain everyone knows this by now, as a reminder.(except that bit about TT and Bookshelves; mind explaining that part?)

OP had an issue understanding the freebie point and waited 8 hours trying to get another one; I doubt this info would be revolutionary to the OP.
In my testing (note this was in 4.0, I never actually tested in 4.1) the bookshelves only apply to non-primals if TT is installed

Spodean

Jul 29, 2019
The best way to get the prime essense research points is to travel everywhere scanning nodes.

Having Mystcraft can help tremendously by creating flat worlds and just run around getting your nodes. That is also good if you want to harvest a bunch of nodes to put them in your base as well.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
The flint suggestion was by far, the most successful.

They give so much stuff in the deconstruction table that it feels almost cheaty!

Also, since we're talking Thaumcraft and I don't want open threads everywhere, Research Mastery says that I can now CTRL+click aspects that need to be combined automatically from the primals I have.

Not working. I have all the ingredients in question - Vacuos for instance. I have Aer, and I have Perdito, but CTRL+clicking it ain't working.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The flint suggestion was by far, the most successful.

They give so much stuff in the deconstruction table that it feels almost cheaty!

Also, since we're talking Thaumcraft and I don't want open threads everywhere, Research Mastery says that I can now CTRL+click aspects that need to be combined automatically from the primals I have.

Not working. I have all the ingredients in question - Vacuos for instance. I have Aer, and I have Perdito, but CTRL+clicking it ain't working.

Shift click instead. It isn't recorded correctly.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay how's this for a question...

I've started play on a server and made my book and thaumeter thing, and started scanning.. but for the life of me, I can't scan wood.....
It says I don't have the knowledge for that yet.. It's wood for cripes sake.. I can scan crafting tables and ores, but wood? NOPE...

What am I doing wrong?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

I've started play on a server and made my book and thaumeter thing, and started scanning.. but for the life of me, I can't scan wood.....
It says I don't have the knowledge for that yet.. It's wood for cripes sake.. I can scan crafting tables and ores, but wood? NOPE...

What am I doing wrong?
First off, what kind of wood? Some wood types have additional aspects(mostly TC related ones, but with Forbidden Magic several types of otherwise normal nether woods have aspects related to the Nether), and sometimes things just don't have aspects(saying that "there is nothing to be learned here" and whatnot).
Simply sounds like you're scanning something that has a advanced aspect in it is all.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

What am I doing wrong?
Sounds like you don't know one of the aspects in wood.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to combine a couple aspects (Two primals, I forget which ones... probably not Ignis, Aer, or Perditio) in the research table to learn Victus, then you can scan seeds for Granum, if I'm not mistaken, then you should be able to do wood just fine.

There's a Thaumcraft cheat sheet somewhere on these forums that'll tell you exactly what you need to do.