Private Pack TahgCraft [Closed, Can't pay for it]

• This section is now closed. Server owners can remake their threads in the new server section here. If you are looking for a server you can use both this section and the new section for the time being.

Elysium

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if minefactory has really been tested on a large scale, I know it has been around for a LONG time now but has not seem to pick up in popularity. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that it does not offer anything unique besides conveyor belts, which only seems like a laggy alternative to the other 3 methods of item transport that already exist.

I have used nether ores before, and while I didn't really learn too much about it during the time I used it, what I did learn about it is that the nodes that the ores spawn in aren't really any larger then the nodes that you might find in the overworld, and diamond didn't seem overly abundant, however I could be wrong about that. The only difference may be that the placement of the ores in the nether will not match the overworld placement for obvious reasons.

As for soul shards, I have expressed my opinion about the mod before. I honestly think this mod should not be included in any modpack by default. While it might not be a server killer (unless the user of the soul shard is completely incompetent, which some have been on the past on TahgCraft) it does make farming of resources and the building of effective mob traps FAR too easy. The building of effective vanilla style mob grinders is something I take pride in and had a lot of fun doing, and soul shards crushes all of that for me. There are things I do like about soul shards, such as the ability to get a cat, dog, or bat spawner (I'm not sure if it works on modded passive mobs like the penguin but that would be really cool) which you can do really neat things with if you have a creative mind. Sadly though, 99% of the time it is only used to ease the building of the trap and the gathering of the resources. On top of all of that, it seems to me that people will prefer to make a cow or chicken soul shard, instead of using the mods at our disposal to create an effective traditional animal farm. Also, as nanakisan stated, with mods such as gravity gun at our disposal, you can easily create a super effective mob grinder which will follow vanilla mechanics without the use of soul shards. Anthaeus's statement about vanilla mob grinders being somehow more laggy then then soul shards has me a little perplexed. Vanilla spawners will only trigger if your within 16 blocks of the spawner where as soul shards can repeatedly spit out mobs even if the player is not even close enough to keep them alive. They will just constantly spawn and despawn, adding unnecessary processes to the system You can just as easily build in a fail safe to any vanilla spawner just as you can with soul shard spawners. It comes down to the designer of it to be competent enough to do so. A very quick example would be have a button or pressure plate trigger a state cell which will last for 5 minutes allowing you to afk in that alotted time without worry of the system overflowing, after the 5 minutes has expired it will trigger lights to turn on thus disabling the system until the next button press. There are many different ways to achieve a fail safe. Of course with things like iron golems and computercraft turtles making exp farms insanely easy to design, you don't have to worry about that as much, but that is a another topic entirely...

Have not much to say besides applied energistics besides the fact that I hope its not buggy, laggy, or unbalanced, which does not seem very likely to me considering how new it is.

EDIT: I don't know much about the new EE3 but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as the last, however things like idle EMC generation such as the condensors and collectors from EE2 should be banned if the exist.

Speaking of mystcraft, I honestly hope that this new server will not go down the path the current one has with the whole bright desert. Any symbol that alters world generation to spawn more resources or otherwise resources that are not meant to be in the overworld should be banned. I understand that the instability effects such as decay are supposed to counter balance this, but decay tends to cause lag and the rest of them aren't enough of a counterbalance to justify something such as dense ores. Even with the decay mystcraft is not balanced. Don't get me wrong, mystcraft is a great mod and I love it as it can create some very interesting landscapes, but it should be used with great caution.

Onto EXBL... This is a mod I love, and while I understand what can be annoying about it, I simply cannot go back to to the plain boring vanilla biomes after having used it for almost a year now. Cons of it are it can create some very large unappealing seemingly endless biomes which tend to make finding some of the vanilla biomes a little more challenging, but the pros are so much more then that. It adds a great amount of diversity to world generation which has not been altered for the longest time. It can create terrain that exceed the traditional y128 limit, it can spawn villages in some very unique places, and it generally just makes exploring so much better, and exploration in mindcraft is lackluster enough as it is. Biomes that are a must have to me are: autum woods, extreme jungle (for the +y128), green hills, meadow, mountain ridge, redwood forest. Biomes that would be neat to have but I could do without: alpine forest, glacier, rainforest or temperate rainforest (I forget which one :/ ), mountain desert, savanna or shurbland. Biomes that are garbage: ice wasteland, marsh. The rest I don't care too much for or just have not seen them yet if they are any good.

(Part 2 below)

Elysium

Jul 29, 2019
ChickenChunks... During my testing of a v8.0.1+++ modpack I was working on for Tahgcraft, I noticed chickenchunks was throwing some errors at my log and they seemed pretty serious. Every time the server would boot up I would get an error similar to this http://pastebin.com/ai9fW7Rr . I told chickenbones about it on IRC and he said he is going to look into it, but I have not heard anything about it since, and the mod has not been updated. You can only see this error if your server is using forge #516 or higher. It has been reported by many that this is due to the fact that forge has only just started logging this error, so some are guessing this error has always existed. I know for a fact that this is chickenchunks because I would only get this error when chickenchunks was installed, and I spent like 3 or 4 hours trying to see if it could be possibly anything else with no luck. Just yesterday the server crashed because it ran out of memory, and while nana could not find any link to chickenchunks, he really couldn't find any link to any mod. I'm not saying this issue is isolated to chickenchunk chunkloaders in specific, but what I am saying is I would not get the error without chickenchunks installed. For all I know they could all be slightly buggy.

Besides the fact that chickenchunks has a potential memory leak, after playing on Tahgcraft a week after it began, as time passed I watched the TPS get lower and lower as time passed from a stable 18+ TPS to a stable 10 TPS. At times it will even dip down to 5 or 6 for about 3-5 seconds but most of the time it will not go much higher then 12tps. This is not normal behavior despite what anyone might try to tell you, and the server should rise in TPS with the less players online, and this is simply not the case in our current server. There are rare occasions when the server will stabalize at around 15-18 TPS, sometimes even get maxed out, but this seems to have nothing to do with the amount of players online at any given time, as I have seen it at 12tps and lower then there are only 2-3 players online. I'm 100% certain that this is due to people placing down chunkloaders carelessly and then either forgetting about them or just quitting the server and never came back to clean up their mess. There is no definitive way to know where all of these chunkloaders are located that I know of and they are seemingly impossible to locate and remove. This is a serious issue for any long term world and it NEEDS to be addressed. Apparently nana even tried temporarily removing the mod in an attempt to wipe the chunkloaders clean and the server wouldn't even start up. There shouldn't be an issue if people are using these things responsibly, but it would seem there are fewer responsible people then there are not.

May I suggest using dimensional anchors instead of chickenchunks? They are highly configurable, and there is a hotkey to make them appear through other blocks in an x-ray like vision. Only the owners of the chunkloaders that have been placed can use this, however any OP on the server can see ALL chunkloaders assuming the chunk which the chunkloader in is being rendered by the player's client. I believe the server even has a toggleable GUI outside of the server instance which allows you to see which chunks have been force loaded at a glance. This type of functionality would be EXTREMELY useful for troubleshooting and cleanup which is a necessary thing.

May I suggest 2 small mods that that greatly enhance world generation by adding some really nice things to it? Flora & Soma from Inficraft, the clouds & trees to be specific (you can download them individually @ http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/521617-147-inficraft-updated-201328/ ) The trees are massive, beautiful, and sometimes jaw dropping, I believe it may even add a couple of rare trees to the nether, which is always a good thing. And the clouds, oh the clouds are so sexy and beautiful, who wouldn't want actual cloud blocks? They don't block sunlight, they come in a few different types, and you can harvest them for some interesting and creative builds. The mod is also configurable. Also they have pretty interesting block mechanics. If any of you ever played the old Aether mod you'll know what I'm talking about.

It is good to know you are keeping gregtech. While there may be a lot of things I dislike about the mod, it offers a great deal of configurability and would generally make IC2 more enjoyable. It even extends the extremely poor existing IC2 config which alone almost makes it worth it. Its good that compact solars is replacing advanced solars because those things are unbalanced. I would even go as far as to slightly nerf the default solar generation values via the IC2 and/or the compact solars config by a slight amount to make other alternatives more appealing considering the amount of people who just choose to use solar power. I will probably get a little flack for that last one but I personally think its a good idea because it will entice players to come up with more interesting and creative solutions, which is always a good thing.

As for the current server, all of this talk of a new server has been an absolute moral killer, and if any of you have been paying attention to the sharp population decline since this has all started, you'll know what I'm talking about. Today I logged on during peak hours (where there was previously 15-20 people online at this time 2 or 3 weeks ago) and I saw one person online. I'm assuming the very few that still log on to the server wont be around when the new one comes up. I appreciate the fact that your just not going to simply kill the server off, however the way things are turning out its hard for me to see a point of keeping it around.

Sorry for the wall of text, but some of these things have been on my mind for awhile now and its bothering me quite a lot, and I felt the need to express my opinions and this seemed like a good opportunity. I know there are probably those of you out there who may not agree with everything I've said here, but based on my past experiences with being a server adminstrator and a modpack compiler, I think the things I am suggesting will turn out better for TahgCraft in the long run, and is that not what everyone if not most people want? A nice sustainable server that will be enjoyable for the foreseeable future. I know thats what I would like to have. I'm only looking out for the best interests of this server as I desperately want to play with a thriving and friendly community without worrying about technical aspects of the server. I fully understand that some lag and crashes are to be expected when using a modpack, however not to the extent we have been seeing on the current server. I would know because my modpacks would often have 60-90 mods and I have never experienced lag like we have all been seeing. This is not due to the servers hardware, or the amount of players, but it is caused by the mods and how they are being used. I hope everyone including Tahg will read this with an open mind and try to see where I am comming from.
-Catalisum

ghellerman

Jul 29, 2019
I do agree with you Cata, but I also disagree. I like the points you make on Gregtech, EXBL and Mystcraft, I don't agree with what you said on removing Soulshards. Yes, I agree it makes farming a bit too easy, and removes most of the need for conventional mob traps, you can still get very creative with them. I'm mainly thinking of the community here, because I personally don't use the mod much. I much prefer using a combination of mods for things like animal spawners, but things like that can become time consuming and very space intensive. For example, to make an enderman farm, you'd have to build it in the end, and it would have to be pretty massive to be effective. On a server standpoint, something like I suggested with a void age dedicated to community mob farms using Soulshards would be better. We could take extra steps to ensure that they don't cause a lot of lag for the server (eg. not running all the time), and you can condense farms from potentially thousands of blocks to mere hundreds. Also, you can place them nearby, or even set up a machine to interchange the shards in one farm. That would save a lot of space and hassle, IMO. A suggestion would be to disable the Soul Shard recipe so players are forced to use other methods for private use, but Nan/Tahg/etc. could spawn in empty soulshards for players to work on a community spawner(s). The problem with vanilla spawners is that there really isn't enough control over them for it to be really effective. For example, a vanilla mob trap that can spawn creepers is a lot harder to design and much less effective than spending the time for a soul shard. That's my main problem with what you said. Vanilla methods of spawning mobs simply aren't nearly as effective on a grand scale.

Another thing I disagree with is the imbalance of EE3. In it's current state, it's really just a portable crafting table. Aside from basic transmutations, it's really not far enough along to pass judgement on it. And transmutations really aren't all that useful anyway. Most people won't do things like waste 5 iron on an ender pearl, especially at early game. The only thing I can see being a problem is that one gold is "equal" to eight iron.

As I said before, I personally haven't been on due to school and such. I know a few people who stopped playing because they couldn't handle the lag. I'm sure it won't be as many people now as before, since it's been in this state for so long a few people have probably moved to different servers. I for one would be delighted with a map reset, though a whole new server seems a little too much. I agree some people are a bit.. over the top on the lag issues. Around 20 TPS is perfectly fine for a modded server. But it does get hard to play when we get strings of less than half that. I was unaware of the chickenchunks issue though, I like your idea of dimensional anchors and if it improves stability I'm definitely for it.

BigDaveNz

Jul 29, 2019
true selej. Thus is the world of modding minecraft :)

EDIT: My thoughts on soul shards... I dont see the point in private soul shards... 1 standard skeleton spawner will give you all the bonemeal you will ever need... and you can turn it off using RP2 lamps... pretty basic... The only real use is the mob's you cant farm... Witches/Wither Skeletons etc... Enderman/Skeletons/Zombies/Slimes all can be farmed in easier ways... How i see a mob farm is that it should give you a steady supply of the intended resource and/or XP... Not a crazy amount you will never use because it's constantly chunkloaded etc. Also the mod Powercraft i as referring to has a block that kills mobs allowing them to drop xp onto conveyor belts. which can be sorted and transferred to a Xp storage block/brain in a jar...

I like the idea of Admin only shards... And having a void age dedicated to farming mobs for everyone on the server. Similar to how forgecraft does it would work well... and we would end up with minimal lag where thats concerned... If anyone can tell me why they need a personal T5 spawner then go ahead.

And im sure everyone knows my opinion on chunk loaders... I hate them in SMP :)... But im not going into detail on that... or i may be shot ;)

Elysium

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your thoughts and you have a few good points, however I would like to contest them. I've made a enderman farm in vanilla before and while it does take time to setup and can be quite large, it was easily the least potentially laggy mob farm I've made in vanilla, and did not seem to impact my server at all, also it was REALLY fast an efficient, on par with a tier 5 soul shard AND there is a hardcoded mob cap in the end, so essentially a built in failsafe. As for the creepers, there are creeper spawners in the twilight forest, they are rare and hard to find, but that is a good thing as not everyone should have unlimited access to gunpowder without doing a little work for it. Killing 128 or 256 creepers is hardly a challenge, I've easily killed twice that many on my time on tahgcraft without even trying to hunt them down.

Oh, that reminds me... PLEASE use hardmode and turn on mob damage, it makes the game more exiting and makes things such as blast resistant blocks actually useful.

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
And thus my nomination for selej to be the 2nd OP are thus proven valid.
-Edit
I just looked at Flora & Soma
...sengir...no fucking offense to you and yer special "trees" But take a proper lesson in beauty from these people. This mod...I DEMAND IT!!!

Anthaeus

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like the soul shard discussion could continue forever. I can live without personal spawners and make feed/stations with auto kill systems if I need to, but some sort of shared passive mob system at spawn would be nice, particularly at first while food is a problem until people get situated.

I think the creation of Mystcraft ages should remain op only, and we should just have a "normal" age, (by all means make it flat, eternal day or whatever), for quarrying rather than a dense ores one. That's the one thing that has removed a lot of the enjoyment for me as one low powered quarry provides more resources that I can realistically use. I do love my link books though.

I tried nether ores once, and to be honest I found it far too easy to gather resources, almost as bad as dense ores. That can probably be adjusted with configs and a few ores in the nether should persuade people to use it as more than a giant lava pool for power.

Of all the ideas on Forgecraft, the one I think we might want to pay most attention too is having the public machine room in a void age as it seems to be a major contributor to lag/TPS issues. Probably not something that's needed at first but as the room grows in complexity it might become an issue. I'd prefer not to have something like the Forgecraft mob system, it's an amazing piece of work and for a server where the main aim is intended to be testing new versions of mods I can understand why people don't want to spend time grinding drops, but for a normal server infinite free mob drops are almost as bad as dense ores imho.

As far as lag and vanilla spawners goes, they aren't an issue. A collection or autokill trap at a spawner is quite simple to build, and it only runs when the player is near. I was thinking of some particularly badly designed vanilla mob towers I've seen in the past which can have large numbers of mobs and/or drops causing issues. They often tend to look hideous too as many people don't have the patience to build anything other than a massive pile of cobblestone.

I can live without EE3 as it stands, particularly with the minuim stone disabled as there is always the pocket crafting table if that's what you want.

Hmm, creeper damage. I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I can cope with creepers when I'm around, but the thought of someone visiting my house while I'm alseep and causing explosions, (accidentally or not), isn't something I like.

Shivy011

Jul 29, 2019
I think the soul shards should stay in, but only if there is a public void age for all the T5 spawners to go (like others have been saying). Otherwise, it would just become too OP. EE3 isn't unbalanced at all, it's just built to make life that little bit easier. I believe it should stay in.
As for the machines room in the void age, I see no reason to put it there. As most people now on the current server have rooms with the same machines in by now, and there are many players who do have this amount of machines in their bases, the lag issue would be a real problem if these rooms did cause lag, but they seem not to.

I think the creeper damage should stay off, but hard difficulty? Go ahead :D

kells117

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe enable soul shards but disable the crafting recipe and then have one of each spawner at spawn which is usually on so people can get the items out of barrels from spawn

Also sorry for not being on I got school stuff to do

Cieronph

Jul 29, 2019
TBH i think the updated list sounds good there is nothing i personally dislike however I do have 1 suggestion, Maybe for the spawn we could decided like 10 people to start building the spawn and have perm to add more people to that are, that way we could build the best spawn but not making it to cluttered/messy as the current one

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
the way i see it. obtaining the T5 shard is to easy. I think i'll talk with tahg about raising the T4 and the T5's mob kill requirements to 4x the amount it requires to make the shard.

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
Since the decision to include GregTech in my Pack I will likely be dropping the old server eventually.

Selej

Jul 29, 2019
tahg might i suggest these changes for greg tech configs? mosty side recipes with gregtech stuff instead of normal stuff for different outputs.
cheaperrecipes {
B:Aluminium2MixedMetal=true
B:RefinedIronPiston=true
B:Ruby2Energycrystal=true
B:Sapphire2Lapotron=true
B:SilverAdvCircuit=true
B:SilverCircuit=true
B:Slime2Rubber=true
B:Steel2MixedMetalIngots=true
B:SteelPiston=false
B:TinPincher=true
B:Titanium2MixedMetal=true
}

circuitry part should stay at false all around. the different tiers in every mod is not the same value of ressources.
also. any chance to enable crafting of storage blocks without compression? that one is just a b****

Reactions: BigDaveNz

ghellerman

Jul 29, 2019
I was just about to comment asking for no compression of storage blocks, then I read your post lol. I'd like gregtech on hard just because without it so much of what it adds is completely useless. I ended up voiding 3/4 of the gregtech ores and dusts because I had absolutely nothing to use them on. And, to close, I think our own little "Workshop at the End of the World" would be awesome. I'd totally do that. Really, it isn't needed, but it would still be awesome. Plus, if the workshop gets its own age technically it's infinitely expandable. I'd definitely like a workshop. I know when I set up machinery I like to just have what I need, and anything else I'll use I put up for public use in the workshop. eg. having basic ore processing and recyclers, but things like hardened glass production made at the workshop. Also with the new server update will come tesseracts, which gives us a lot of leeway with community liquids and power. Something I'd definitely like to contribute to is community processing and storage for most liquids in the game.

To Cata: You definitely make some good points. The creeper spawners from Twilight Forest were a good thought, I'd completely forgotten about those. While killing 1000 creepers really isn't too much of a challenge, especially if you need less thanks to vile swords, my main point of view on Soulshards was just how easily it can be compacted. I agree that killing 1000 (or 200 with a SS IV sword) of anything isn't a challenge at all. Someone mentioned greatly increasing the kill requirements, which I would agree with if we decide to go with still allowing personal spawners. Though if it's a community thing that you need an OP's permission for it might not be as good of a route to take. The reason the enderman farm probably didn't impact your server is because it was built in the end. Though I do like the sound of a hardcoded mob cap. I'm really no good with making things pretty, so much of what I can offer to the community is through the technical aspect of projects. I honestly have no problem with a huge enderman mob farm system. It'd be a cool challenge and definitely something a whole team could put together. Someone else made a good point about things like witches, wither skellies (soon to be obsolete) etc. are harder to make traps for. Possible, but harder. I still would put my vote in for keeping in Soulshards, though it's definitely something I can live without. On a final note, hardmode? Yes please! Not too fond of creeper explosions, though I'd still lean towards turning them on. Creepers really aren't scary currently, not even considering the fact that it also disables wither's block destruction. And TNT. And explosive mining lasers. Especially the wither.

Tahg

Jul 29, 2019
We are going to go with Creepers damage blocks, but with a 100% drop rate. The server will be set to 2. Still debating removing Soul Shards from the server, but it will be in the pack and I could enable it at any time.

Reactions: Agent

ghellerman

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming that by 2 you mean normal mode? As long as it isn't easy mode I'm happy, really. And keeping soul shards is ultimately up to you as the server owner, I'd like them for a quality of life thing but really you can get by just fine without them

BigDaveNz

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with removing the compression recipe's in greg tech. Personally i compress blocks Via Factorization Packagers... and at the moment because of gregtech they are useless (Except for making sandstone).

Heres an Idea... Have a Bright Void age... And have that as the community world... Spawn/Nexus/Workshop/Spawners/Farms/Shops.... All in that age...
Have a Flat world (With Crystals... NOT glowstone deposits) For quarrying. (Biombes: Desert/ExtremeHills for GT Gem Spawns and Vanilla Emerald Spawns)
Have a Standard world for just general mining.
And have the overworld for building