Sustainable energy in TE3

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DamagePlan

Jul 29, 2019
In TE2 I could go Ignious Extruder > Magma Crucible > Magmatic Engine and have a self sustaining power source with enough left over to store/run my machines.

Is this still possible with the magmatic dynamo? If not I completely understand. Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Also can RotaryCraft's power be used by TE3?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about Rotarycraft, but you can (or could in earlier betas, I assume you still can), get sustainable power from Mekanism's Hydrogen Generators, and using Factorization steam boilers and a boatload of mirrors to power steam dynamos.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
In TE2 I could go Ignious Extruder > Magma Crucible > Magmatic Engine and have a self sustaining power source with enough left over to store/run my machines.

Is this still possible with the magmatic dynamo? If not I completely understand. Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Also can RotaryCraft's power be used by TE3?

The Extruder -> Crucible thing wasn't sustainable in TE2 without tweaking the configs. You can tweak the same values in TE3 though, if you really want, but that's a bit hackish.

Netherrack is a pretty good source of RF, and you get it really really fast with a Flux-Infused Pickaxe. ;)

Reactions: PierceSG

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm partial to bees and trees myself, but that takes time, patience, and potentially a lot of frustration if you haven't done it before.

As for something easy that looks nice, I'm partial to Factorization solar boilers making steam for Steam Dynamos. It's the only solar setup I'll build these days. The IC2 solars and Compact Solars are just boring boxes whereas the Factorization solar boilers have great detail and look realistic. In-game, it really does look very similar to the following, which turns solar + water into steam:

6a00e0099229e88833010536ee0093970b-500wi

Reactions: RedBoss

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Wow, what texture pack is that? You know, you could reduce your surface footprint by lowering the mirrors into a bowl shaped depression and extending your boiler tower down some. I see some of your mirrors are inactive with that config ;).

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, what texture pack is that? You know, you could reduce your surface footprint by lowering the mirrors into a bowl shaped depression and extending your boiler tower down some. I see some of your mirrors are inactive with that config ;).

It's called the Google Image texturepack. The bad thing about it is you have to ALT+TAB and type stuff constantly. ;-)

An in-game image of a solar boiler array might look something like so:

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
lol the solar tower in spain... sustainable energy... you have Liquified charcoal or... charcoal on steam dynamos... or steam on steam dynamos

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if pumping charcoal or planks into a Steam Dynamo gives the same reward as pumping them into a boiler power-wise. I doubt it, but it may be interesting.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Actually I made a few portable tanks to go back and forth to the nether with. At least till I get an enderthermic pump and ender tanks set up

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have ExtraUtilities? The drums can hold up to 256000 mb worth of fluids. Iron heavy but well worth the price imo.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if pumping charcoal or planks into a Steam Dynamo gives the same reward as pumping them into a boiler power-wise. I doubt it, but it may be interesting.

No, you don't. Steam dynamos are much better than for example stirling engines, but they don't match up to boilers. Especially not before the rework in Railcraft 8.3.x, which fixed overvaluing of solid fuels by boilers (among other things) and brought boilers down a fair bit in general. They're still the most efficient generators though, as a trade-off for being inconvenient to handle (high fuel throughput, no on-demand function, pricey infrastructure).

As for sustainable RF production, I'd look at compression dynamos. They're direct analogues to combustion engines, with the slight difference that they run slower but consume less coolant, so any old ethanol loop will do great. Since it usually comes from a tree farm, you can even combine compression dynamos and steam dynamos (either directly or attached to solid fuel boilers).

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You can extract steam from the steam boiler and feed it to the steam dynamos, each takes 20mb(40mb) of steam and produces 40RF (80RF).
Which works out to be similar to a Commercial (Industrial) Steam Engine.

*(later versions)
Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk