Storage mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
V

Vulpes

I'm going through a few storage mods to see which ones I like the best.

I really love the look of the ancient warfare warehouse as well as the functionality of it hooking into one control block to get things from and If I remember right you can also set things up to craft like a ME computer terminal.

I'm not overly familiar with tech mods but I have googled, gone through the wiki and played around a bit but I just can't find one that has the same medieval aesthetic as well as the functionality. I attached an image for those not familiar with it. I the boxes change colour so would keep mine wood or upgrade to a tier that's not iron.

Thanks in advance.

2015041602s.jpg

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The Ancient Warfare stuff is quite nice, though I don't know what version its updated to, there's not much that can beat it for period aesthetics. One thing you might like is Storage Drawers - those can be made from a range of woods, and look nice, and when connected to each other and a Drawer Controller, the controller can act as that single control block for the purposes of mods like AE2, Refined Storage etc.

V

Vulpes

Ancient warfare is 1.7 and won't be updated to anything higher :(

I didn't know about the drawer controller, I have used the drawers before but found them annoying when crafting things or trying to find something

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Ah OK! Yeah the controller is very handy. Also, in the 1.10 and later version of storage drawers the size upgrades no longer show on the outside (so you don't get that band of colour that makes it look a bit off anymore). You can also use keys to do things like hide whats in the drawers, show quantities or lock them (so you can remove all the contents and the drawer will remain dedicated to that resource) - and if you use a particular key (I think its shift-right-click) on the controller, it applies that to all drawers simultaneously. Finally, if you want your drawers around the walls in a U shape, for example, you can use drawer trims in the corners you can't see, so that the drawers are all connected still, but you don't have superfluous drawers you aren't using!

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Storage Drawers is a great option as @GamerwithnoGame said, RF tools has Modular storage, EnderIO has the Inventory Panel and Warehouse, Refined Storage is a great introduction but to digital storage but, would not recommend for any serious pack playthrough, it lacks the automatability of Applied Energistics 2, which is by far the best storage option in my opinion.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I need to look into this inventory panel thing. Is it exactly what it sounds like where it's basically a single interface that I can find all of my items in? Even if they're all in storage drawers?

The thing is, I've designed like a thousand inventory systems and I'm so sick of it! I just dont' want to go through and sort this stuff.

As for the OP, an alternate suggestion is Iron Backpacks. You can carry your entire inventory with you wherever you go if you want. You can equip it, so it doesn't take up an item slot on your bar, you set it to its own hotkey. With some relatively simple upgrades, you can put as many bags as you want inside the main bag, have it automatically pick up select items, group them by mod, condense items into blocks on the fly to save space (you can even recursively create deeper levels of condensing), you can have them automatically refresh an item to the hotbar, like, say, a whole bag full of torches and food, and you'll always have 64 of each on your hotbar, automatically pulling from the bag. And you can make a couple of dump bags for junk, which you can empty into a chest or drawer controller with a single click. You can even make it soulbound.

A bag system like that allowed me to clear this much land without dropping a block or stopping to dump (the only times I had to stop was to recharge my drill) :

I beleive that was something like 100-150,000 blocks, and a couple of diamond bags full of random junk/seeds/loot etc. The dirt and cobblestone was automatically triple-compressed on the fly. When placing the dirt back on the last step, I was able to use a bag to keep filling my inventory for use with a builder's wand. This may not totally replace your inventory system, but it can be a huge part of it.

(I'd apologize for cross-posting that, but I'm not sorry! Anarchyyy!)

Last edited:

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I need to look into this inventory panel thing. Is it exactly what it sounds like where it's basically a single interface that I can find all of my items in? Even if they're all in storage drawers?

The thing is, I've designed like a thousand inventory systems and I'm so sick of it! I just dont' want to go through and sort this stuff.

As for the OP, an alternate suggestion is Iron Backpacks. You can carry your entire inventory with you wherever you go if you want. You can equip it, so it doesn't take up an item slot on your bar, you set it to its own hotkey. With some relatively simple upgrades, you can put as many bags as you want inside the main bag, have it automatically pick up select items, group them by mod, condense items into blocks on the fly to save space (you can even recursively create deeper levels of condensing), you can have them automatically refresh an item to the hotbar, like, say, a whole bag full of torches and food, and you'll always have 64 of each on your hotbar, automatically pulling from the bag. And you can make a couple of dump bags for junk, which you can empty into a chest or drawer controller with a single click. You can even make it soulbound.

A bag system like that allowed me to clear this much land without dropping a block or stopping to dump (the only times I had to stop was to recharge my drill) :

I beleive that was something like 100-150,000 blocks, and a couple of diamond bags full of random junk/seeds/loot etc. The dirt and cobblestone was automatically triple-compressed on the fly. When placing the dirt back on the last step, I was able to use a bag to keep filling my inventory for use with a builder's wand. This may not totally replace your inventory system, but it can be a huge part of it.

(I'd apologize for cross-posting that, but I'm not sorry! Anarchyyy!)
The inventory panel is basically a storage connected to other inventories. With an inventory awareness upgrade, input and extract, it's a storage system pretty much based on AE storage buses.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I never used AE, so that doesn't help me too much. I'm looking for the plain English explanation :p

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I never used AE, so that doesn't help me too much. I'm looking for the plain English explanation :p
Let's say you have a deep storage unit with cobblestone in it, you put a storage bus on it, go to your terminal and you can see all that cobblestone in an external inventory, The EnderIO panel is the same thing without discs.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So, it's basically an interface that shows you everything in nearby storage, right?

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Refined Storage is a great introduction but to digital storage but, would not recommend for any serious pack playthrough, it lacks the automatability of Applied Energistics 2, which is by far the best storage option in my opinion.
don't listem to him, He's biased. last I checked, RS can do anything that AE2 can do. the only thing that AE2 has over it is the fact that things such as the storage bus or inventory panels are multi-part. which, by the way, I have NEVER used

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
don't listem to him, He's biased. last I checked, RS can do anything that AE2 can do. the only thing that AE2 has over it is the fact that things such as the storage bus or inventory panels are multi-part. which, by the way, I have NEVER used
And interdimensional access, and real world crafting and the singularities, c'mon dude, explosions. That automatically makes it better.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
And interdimensional access, and real world and the singularities, c'mon dude, explosions. That only makes it better.
RS DOES infact have an interdimensional upgrade, only it takes a nether star instead of 256,000 cobblestone and an enderpearl. real world crafting is kinda unoriginal tbh, sense it's LITTERALLY just dropping items in water and probably waiting. and those singularities would be releasing so much hawking radiation they would cause a bigger wasteland than a fall out. although good point on the explosions

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
also, if you have RS and Quantum Storage you can make a quantum disk which is basically infinite storage. Warning, for some reason it takes an hour and 20 minuets to craft

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
also, if you have RS and Quantum Storage you can make a quantum disk which is basically infinite storage. Warning, for some reason it takes an hour and 20 minuets to craft

I can take that hour but having to listen to 20 17th century dance compositions?

:rolleyes::D

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you're looking for a super simple "all my crap in one searchable panel" kind of inventory system, look at the RFTools Storage Scanner. It can search a radius around itself for Inventories, then it will allow you access to any of the contents. With a Remote Storage device (forget exactly what it's called), you can have access to all of the scanned inventory from anywhere (even other dimensions) at any time.

This system pairs well with RFTools Modular Storage units, which can be filtered for ease of search and storage, or left to fill up whatever slot is available. The most underrated function this allows is the compatibility with the RFTools Screens, which given proper upgrades can allow access to chosen resources via a visual display monitor - perfect for filtering access to just what you need in each little corner of your base. I usually try to use the screens to keep tabs on all my ore levels on a wall in my processing room, as well as an ingot count, since it keeps track of the numbers in real time.

I should note as well that the Storage Scanner will scan for ALL Inventories within range, which includes inputs and outputs of things like: furnaces, Pulverizers, SAG Mills, Hoppers, TiCo Smeltery Controllers, and more. This means you can use the Remote Storage Unit to access manual processing equipment and relevant outputs while on the go as well, if properly set up. Along with the on board crafting grid in the Remote Storage Unit, this allows you tremendous power to create anything you might need while doing any project, without ever leaving the project site.

Reactions: Ieldra

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
And interdimensional access, and real world crafting and the singularities, c'mon dude, explosions. That automatically makes it better.
Oh and I calculated it, excluding compressed cobble, the densest possible thing that you can make the singularities are osmium blocks, and 256,000 square meters of sodium would have a schwarzchild radius of 0.00012868999560320635 meters which is MUCH smaller than what we see in game. Meaning that those are really just really dense matter balls

Reactions: Ieldra