Steve's Carts replacing water source blocks with saplings?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
As the title says...strange, huh?

When I layout my track, I place water sources and lighting underneath the blocks where the tracks will go. So that the entire farm is lit and hydrated. As the cart goes around planting saplings, it'll place a sapling underneath the track, replacing the water source with the sapling. The track above prevents the sapling from growing but the farm is no longer fully hydrated. Removing the sapling & replacing the water only solves the problem until the cart rolls by again. I've noticed this on every tree farm I've built, but it only happens sometimes [not every water source gets a sapling].

No one else seeing this?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I've read that twice and can't picture what you're trying to do, saplings (as in trees) don't require water source blocks to grow. Can you post screenshots?

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it seems you're having the forestry treefarm and the steve's carts type of treefarm mixed up with eachother, as I think the only type of treefarm that would require water is forestry's one

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, has everyone forgotten vanilla tree mechanics?...hmm, or have they changed? I'm not stating a steve's carts tree farm requires water. I'm saying I place water blocks underneath the tracks so that the entire farm is hydrated [ie. if I were to convert the tree farm over to a crop farm, all the resultant farmland would be hydrated]. Vanilla mechanics state a sapling will grow faster if planted on hydrated soil [within 4 horizontal blocks of water]. Saplings growing faster = more efficient farm.

Now that that's out of the way...what I'm reporting is that the cart is replanting saplings underneath the track...it's detecting [sometimes] that the block where the water source is located is empty and a valid spot to plant a sapling. And I think I just figured out why it's a sometimes thing and how to fix this. All I need do is insure that the block underneath the water source isn't a dirt block.

Screenies are sort of an issue, as I play on one PC but post on another. Screenies are do-able, but somewhat of a hassle. However I don't think what I'm describing is at all complicated to visualize.

Thanks for the implied offers to help but I think I'm good now. Just surprised no one else saw/reported this cart behaviour.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, has everyone forgotten vanilla tree mechanics?...hmm, or have they changed? I'm not stating a steve's carts tree farm requires water. I'm saying I place water blocks underneath the tracks so that the entire farm is hydrated [ie. if I were to convert the tree farm over to a crop farm, all the resultant farmland would be hydrated]. Vanilla mechanics state a sapling will grow faster if planted on hydrated soil [within 4 horizontal blocks of water]. Saplings growing faster = more efficient farm.

Now that that's out of the way...what I'm reporting is that the cart is replanting saplings underneath the track...it's detecting [sometimes] that the block where the water source is located is empty and a valid spot to plant a sapling. And I think I just figured out why it's a sometimes thing and how to fix this. All I need do is insure that the block underneath the water source isn't a dirt block.

Screenies are sort of an issue, as I play on one PC but post on another. Screenies are do-able, but somewhat of a hassle. However I don't think what I'm describing is at all complicated to visualize.

Thanks for the implied offers to help but I think I'm good now. Just surprised no one else saw/reported this cart behaviour.

no where on the internet I can find the information that says a tree grows faster near water or on hydrated soil, nor was it even this way. so where you got this information from, I have no clue.
I do see your point if there's already water and hydrated soil, it's easier to switch to a crops farm, but it'd also mean you'd have to either make a new cart, or remove and add new modules to your current cart, which is a whole lot of more work then just making another farm for the crops and keeping your tree farm just going

Reactions: RedBoss

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Huh...looks like someone got the drop on me. I could swear in 1.3 [when I first started playing] that the minecraft wiki described sapling maturing faster if water was nearby. Either that or I'm confusing sapling and crop maturation optional requirements.

I just looked at that wiki and noticed the pages have changed quite a bit. Perhaps the infos I recall are no longer there or no longer applicable? Or I'm just recalling incorrectly. Upon further review, I think the confusion stems from how I used to build my vanilla oak farms. I used the design where the farm could easily be switched over to a sugar cane farm. But I did find this on the wiki: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/File:Treefarming.png

Irregardless, the point I was trying to make was steve's carts tree farms can replace water source blocks with saplingshttp://minecraft.gamepedia.com/File:Treefarming.png