Steve's Carts not collecting hybrid Forestry saplings?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So my large Steve's Carts farm wasn't doing well enough with vanilla oak wood, and I decided to get into Forestry and make some custom trees. Obviously my Steve's Cart has the Exotic addon so it can use Forestry saplings.

I made a Kapok tree that has modified traits - high on the "Saplings" drops and faster on the "Matures" for fast growth. But they're still Kapoks so they grow nice and tall.

But now my Steve's Cart is refusing to pick up the saplings. When I used pure Kapok saplings it worked fine, but they grew too slowly. But the cart did harvest them and replant them correctly. But now that I modified the tree's traits, the saplings no longer are "seen" by Steve's Carts? Even with the "Exotic" addon? Is this a known issue? Thanks.

I need wood for impregnated sticks for my bee frames. 2000 wood an hour from the vanilla oak farm wasn't fast enough. Any ideas for 3000+ wood per hour is appreciated as well, how fast can I get a Forestry multi-farm cranking out wood, and what is the best hybrid sapling for that? Probably the Kapok sapling I just made... maybe I need to go run it for an hour and see what my output is...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ehm before we do anything we need to get something straight. What do you mean by "Hybrid" sapling?
If you mean a sapling that has 2 different species (one on each trait line) on the left and right, then that is not what you think it is. It doesn't work like you have oak on one side and birch on the other, then you get the best of both. You only get what is on the left side which is the active side.

On the Forestry multifarm note, it is as fast as the trees grow. As simple as that. You can increase the trees growth with different kinds of means ofc like blooming bees(I think they are called), Lilypads of fertility etc.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Ehm before we do anything we need to get something straight. What do you mean by "Hybrid" sapling?
If you mean a sapling that has 2 different species (one on each trait line) on the left and right, then that is not what you think it is. It doesn't work like you have oak on one side and birch on the other, then you get the best of both. You only get what is on the left side which is the active side.

Yeah it does have two different species on it, I didn't think that mattered. :)

The left side ("Active") has Kapok, which I want (its nice and tall, balsa is also "tall" but its much smaller). The left side also has high saplings, faster matures, large height and 1x1 girth (which is what I also want). Sappiness and Yield I don't care about because I don't run saplings-fueled steam boilers and they took biofuel out of the game too. The right side ("Inactive"), I didn't care what it says, is that correct? Or are you saying I need both of the same traits on each side in order for Steve's Carts to "see" the saplings?[/quote]

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
On the Forestry multifarm note, it is as fast as the trees grow. As simple as that. You can increase the trees growth with different kinds of means ofc like blooming bees(I think they are called), Lilypads of fertility etc.

Fruity bees, I think they are called. Yeah, I'm gonna stick one of them right in the middle of my Forestry Multi-Farm. They have the "Bonemeal" effect or something (Ripening). It's one of the few bee species I still haven't made (go figure).

One thing that slows the multi-farm way down is the darn leaf blocks. I wanted a tree that literally had no leaf blocks to get in the way of a sapling trying to grow. When a tree grows, the leaf canopy blocks a good portion of the Forestry multi-farm until they decay. When there are leaf blocks overhead, saplings won't grow obv. Balsa has few leaf blocks but they're not nearly as tall as Kapoks so still not sure which I want to use. Since there's no much info out there, I just need to go experiment.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah it does have two different species on it, I didn't think that mattered. :)

The left side ("Active") has Kapok, which I want (its nice and tall, balsa is also "tall" but its much smaller). The left side also has high saplings, faster matures, large height and 1x1 girth (which is what I also want). Sappiness and Yield I don't care about because I don't run saplings-fueled steam boilers and they took biofuel out of the game too. The right side ("Inactive"), I didn't care what it says, is that correct? Or are you saying I need both of the same traits on each side in order for Steve's Carts to "see" the saplings?
I am not sure tbh. Never really delved that deep into tree breeding and never used the steve's carts farm. But it could be a good bet that it might have problems working with it due to it being a hybrid.

Fruity bees, I think they are called. Yeah, I'm gonna stick one of them right in the middle of my Forestry Multi-Farm. They have the "Bonemeal" effect or something (Ripening). It's one of the few bee species I still haven't made (go figure).

One thing that slows the multi-farm way down is the darn leaf blocks. I wanted a tree that literally had no leaf blocks to get in the way of a sapling trying to grow. When a tree grows, the leaf canopy blocks a good portion of the Forestry multi-farm until they decay. When there are leaf blocks overhead, saplings won't grow obv. Balsa has few leaf blocks but they're not nearly as tall as Kapoks so still not sure which I want to use. Since there's no much info out there, I just need to go experiment.
I think the trees will grow no matter the amount of leaves above them. They just grow straight through them. And no I mean the Blooming bees from ExtraBees, That is the one that "bonemeals" saplings. The "Ripening" effect of Fruity bees will bonemeal leaves of fruit bearing trees and make the fruits ripe for picking.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think the trees will grow no matter the amount of leaves above them. They just grow straight through them. And no I mean the Blooming bees from ExtraBees, That is the one that "bonemeals" saplings.

It doesn't work that way when manually bonemealing saplings in the multi-farm. If there's anything blocking the sky above the sapling, it won't grow. Perhaps it works differently when I leave it alone and let the Multi-Farm do it, that would be nice.

And yeah, I had em mixed up, the Fruity bee bonemeals the "fruit" leaf blocks, so I'm gonna use that with my Chestnut multi-farm which makes my seed oil and I will make a Blooming bee for my Wood multi-farm to bonemeal the saplings for me.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It doesn't work that way when manually bonemealing saplings in the multi-farm. If there's anything blocking the sky above the sapling, it won't grow. Perhaps it works differently when I leave it alone and let the Multi-Farm do it, that would be nice.

And yeah, I had em mixed up, the Fruity bee bonemeals the "fruit" leaf blocks, so I'm gonna use that with my Chestnut multi-farm which makes my seed oil and I will make a Blooming bee for my Wood multi-farm to bonemeal the saplings for me.
Ahh well thats odd. Maybe theres a limit to how many blocks of leaves there can be or something. However the Forestry multifarm tree growth and leaf decay is being run by a special algorithm so who knows :p

Not sure if it would work or complete screw everything up, but might be possible to have an MFR Harvester chop down anything growing over a certain height on the multifarm. Would require you to pump the saplings back into the multifarms though to make it continue to run, but should be able to get rid of the leaves. /shrugs

And yeah I had 4 apiaries with Blooming bees in the middle of my Unleashed builds multifarm:
wij3rBC.png

The thing in the middle is a Thaumostatic magnetizer and Obsidian pipes to collect any dropped saplings/apples whenever the farm was turned off. Also handled the bee produce :p

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason for using 4 apiaries like you did there instead of 1 alveary? I guess cause it slows down the frame usage since alvearies eat up frames like there's no tomorrow?

I've been fiddling with a way to use proven frames. Can't make em, but I did make a setup where I can call a proven frames villager in a minecart over to a window, buy 7 stacks of 6 frames each with one shift-click, but then I have to kill him to send the cart back to get another villager. LOL It's kinda ugly really, I wish I could automate clicking and using emeralds somehow (Computercraft maybe?). I think if I have to purchase 1000 frames manually every day its gonna get too tedious even tho I can do it in about 5 minutes of non-stop trading.

But yeah, I love the overkill with collecting every last (sapling) drop. haha That's how a real minecrafter thinks! ;)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I changed plans and decided to just let Steve's Carts do normal oak wood. Before, I had been using vanilla oak saplings and it worked fine. This time I decided to use the Treealyzer to turn them into "Apple Oak" Forestry saplings by just identifying them... and now the cart won't pick those saplings up either. :( So apparently even with the Exotic disk installed, it's not recognizing Forestry saplings. That's not supposed to happen according to everything I read it should handle Forestry saplings just fine - especially the basic "Apple Oak" variety. I'm in Monster pack by the way.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there any reason for using 4 apiaries like you did there instead of 1 alveary? I guess cause it slows down the frame usage since alvearies eat up frames like there's no tomorrow?
Nah it was more because I could have 4 times the "bonemealing" on less space this way. I was not really using those bees for anything tbh. I had treated them to have low fertility etc. so they didn't produce any excess drones etc. Was only really interested in that these bees were helping the trees grow faster.

I've been fiddling with a way to use proven frames. Can't make em, but I did make a setup where I can call a proven frames villager in a minecart over to a window, buy 7 stacks of 6 frames each with one shift-click, but then I have to kill him to send the cart back to get another villager. LOL It's kinda ugly really, I wish I could automate clicking and using emeralds somehow (Computercraft maybe?). I think if I have to purchase 1000 frames manually every day its gonna get too tedious even tho I can do it in about 5 minutes of non-stop trading.
There is no real benefit of using Proven frames over Untreated or Treated Frames other than durability.
I prefer using frames(Treated frames are fine for me) only on stuff I really need and then I use ME to trigger the insertion of the frames with a Level Emitter so that the frames are only used when the items from the bees drops below a certain limit.

But yeah, I love the overkill with collecting every last (sapling) drop. haha That's how a real minecrafter thinks! ;)
Heh well it was more a matter of the fact that I run around with an enabled Coin of Fortune from Xenos Reliquary and hate picking up saplings and apples to no end every time I came by :p

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
So I changed plans and decided to just let Steve's Carts do normal oak wood. Before, I had been using vanilla oak saplings and it worked fine. This time I decided to use the Treealyzer to turn them into "Apple Oak" Forestry saplings by just identifying them... and now the cart won't pick those saplings up either. :( So apparently even with the Exotic disk installed, it's not recognizing Forestry saplings. That's not supposed to happen according to everything I read it should handle Forestry saplings just fine - especially the basic "Apple Oak" variety. I'm in Monster pack by the way.

You know that it's a known issue with Steve's Carts treefarms that they just don't work on mod trees. This is why everyone stopped using them.

It happened when VSWE decided that the treefarm was too powerful and then overly nerfed it, then un-nerfed it. In doing that he seems to have manually controlled the drop rate and in the process broken compat. Because before in 1.4.7 pre-nerf I seem to recall having a steve's cart work on trees from the other biomes mod of the time.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
You know that it's a known issue with Steve's Carts treefarms that they just don't work on mod trees. This is why everyone stopped using them.

It happened when VSWE decided that the treefarm was too powerful and then overly nerfed it, then un-nerfed it. In doing that he seems to have manually controlled the drop rate and in the process broken compat. Because before in 1.4.7 pre-nerf I seem to recall having a steve's cart work on trees from the other biomes mod of the time.

No, I didn't know that, but that's why I post here and ask questions. Thanks for the explanation. I'm back to using Steve's Carts for a vanilla oak tree wood farm and Forestry multi-farm for the forestry saplings, which is where I began this morning. Nothing about this problem is written on the Steve's Carts wiki for the "Exotic" disk, nor in the FTBwiki for the Exotic disk. Wikis are in such disarray these days... (perhaps the entire mod scene is in disarray). I can't edit every wiki because I'm not going to register and get a username/password for every wiki. It sure can be annoying sometimes to waste entire day's worth of work, but such is life I guess. At least I'm still breathing. :)

Last edited:

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019

I thought people stopped making them because Vswe introduced durability on the main part and made the top tier with no durability so costly it wasn't worth making. Top that off with some disappearing cart shenanagans and MFR, it just pushed Steve Carts way out of the picture.

Tsori

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that exotic modules handle "pure" mod saplings from forestry (NOT. BINNIES, extra trees do not work just original saplings) so if you get hold of a pure silver lime ( say from a dungeon chest) then it will run, get it from breeding and it won't.

It can be worse with other mods, it will plant silver light saplings but not greatwoods...which is annoying.

If your after extra wood through the tree farm it will do natura wood...well some of them anyway, which tend to be higher than vanilla trees

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that exotic modules handle "pure" mod saplings from forestry (NOT. BINNIES, extra trees do not work just original saplings) so if you get hold of a pure silver lime ( say from a dungeon chest) then it will run, get it from breeding and it won't.

It can be worse with other mods, it will plant silver light saplings but not greatwoods...which is annoying.

If your after extra wood through the tree farm it will do natura wood...well some of them anyway, which tend to be higher than vanilla trees

Thanks for your explanation as well. If anyone happens to see this thread and has access to any of the various wiki's... please add this info to the correct pages for the benefit of others. This is the sort of information that should be front and center in any wiki. What's funny is, I will go to 3 or 4 different FTB wiki sites, and it's obvious they've just copied from one master source (or copied each other) because they all literally have the same exact words on their pages with almost no differences between them. What frosts me most is that I can go to Steve's Carts wiki page for "Tree Exotic" and this info isn't there. If the mod developers can't even have proper info in their own wiki... sheesh.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
They're giving you he mod for free. Better documentation would be great, but it's not expected. That's why forums are useful and popular. No need to be so critical. If you have time, the wiki team here is always looking for help.

Back to the point, you could try ghostwood trees. They should work based upon what @Tsori mentioned and they have high yields.

For that matter, I simply use MFR or golem for tree farms. They have less issues than forestry or Steve carts farms.

Reactions: Padfoote

ostPavel

Jul 29, 2019
I can't edit every wiki because I'm not going to register and get a username/password for every wiki.
ftbwiki.org doesn't require registering to get access to editing. No captchas either. Just click "edit".
With this part being clear, what should I add to the Tree: Exotic page? Haven't used SC2 for a while (I blame MFR Harvester :p )

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
ftbwiki.org doesn't require registering to get access to editing. No captchas either. Just click "edit".
With this part being clear, what should I add to the Tree: Exotic page? Haven't used SC2 for a while (I blame MFR Harvester :p )

Oh wow I didn't know that. This could be dangerous then. I play all day every day and I find a lot of stuff that isn't reported. LOL

Yeah, its kind of intimidating updating a wiki, getting the wording right without being too wordy. I tend to be too wordy. :)

Basically, that page doesn't apply anymore, from what I'm gathering. The only way a "Tree Exotic" disk addon will work is if the sapling comes from a dungeon chest and hasn't been run thru a Treealyzer to identify it... I suppose another way a sapling might work is if you've bought it from a Forestry Villager. See what I mean about too wordy?

Also... another factor with wiki's and editing... just because I'm experiencing one issue in one modpack (Monster) doesn't mean another person using another modpack won't experience something totally different... point being, stating the modpack is important and the wikis generally don't categorize in this fashion. Bees is a good exception, the FTB wiki is very good with keeping "legacy" copies of certain pages which applied to certain modpacks. For instance, I still have a bookmark link in my web browser to a page that retains all bee species at the time Ultimate was released. And actually, I just went to post it as an example, and I must have deleted it since I no longer play Ultimate. But now I can't even find that page thru the wiki itself. There's probably no way to navigate to it, because there's no "feature" in the wiki to allow for sorting information specifically by modpack.

Last edited:

ostPavel

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, mod versioning and pack difference is our biggest weakness right now, we are working to solve the issue. As for now, there are some ways to avoid that (for example, players of Resonant Rise pack have a separate Ore Generation page). It usually takes a person who knows the pack very well (or is the actual author) to make things clear, but any pack user can help.

And don't worry about being too wordy. I mean, I've met a lot of people who are like "Oh, I'd gladly contribute, but I know nothing/I am afraid you won't like it/I can only provide a basic description". Just shoot!

edit to answer to the edit: that actually makes sense, and isn't too wordy in the slightest. The part about forestry villager can be given as an example of how to get a "pure" sapling.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirinDave

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, mod versioning is our biggest weakness right now, we are working to solve the issue. As for now, there are some ways to avoid that (for example, players of Resonant Rise pack have a separate Ore Generation page). It usually takes a person who knows the pack very well (or is the actual author) to make things clear, but any pack user can help.

What I often wish for is a little "notes" section on each wiki page where players can report things they discover that conflicts with the wiki information.

I really don't want to go into the wiki and start changing things all over the place, and yeah I think most people have this attitude which is why the wiki never gets updated. But if I knew there was a section devoted solely to "player reports" where it would seem like we were adding a little tidbit of info to the collection instead of taking this drastic step (gasp!) of changing the wiki page itself... you know what I mean? I'd quickly add a note based on my experience with the Tree:Exotic addon in Monster pack, and go back to playing. I have a feeling this is already in the wiki (there are "notes" pages, correct?), but they are hidden in tabs or whatever... bring those notes right onto the "front page" of each wiki page so everybody can see them and judge whether it might apply to their situation in the modpack they are playing.

As it stands, these "player reports" are all over the place out there... but you need to use google and hunt them all down (such as reddit has a lot of them, valuable tidbits of info) because they are scattered everywhere.