Steam turbine?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JudgeCrane

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah so been messing around with steam a bit easily filled a tank that holds 2million milli buckets in no time.
I want to convert the Steam into EU and saw steam turbine at 100EU/t for 320 steam per tick sounds ok to me, right?
Also I have no idea how to make it really in NEI says its a 3x2x2 structure and that its made by steel blocks and plates. I heard that it needs other things like gear and rotors. If someone can give me a description on how to make a Steam turbine it would be great.
Also what are some of the capability of steam of course I have seen the engines that I may mess around with. Ive seen people mostly use the engines to power machines in their base I may just use conductive pipes to transfer MJ for sorting systems and powering things like my rolling machine, carpenter. Any other uses for excess MJ?

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
1. Craft 12 Steam Turbine Chasing;
2. Craft 2 height 2 width 3 length multiblock;
3. Insert Turbine Rotor;
3. Connect to steam source (direct-to-boiler or via liquiducts).

JudgeCrane

Jul 29, 2019
Ah so I thought the multiblock was right, as for inserting the rotor is it a simple right click or putting it in a interface.
Also are liquiducts required or can I also use waterproof piping?
Lastly how do I output the EU to a storage like say a MFSU or batbox or whatever, is there like a side where I just connect some cables?
Thanks for reply Exe19!

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You can use gold waterproof pipes or liquiducts or attach engines directly to the boiler itself.

You connect the turbine to a MFSU via glass fibre cables attached anywhere from the turbine.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Here, have a wiki.

http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Steam+Turbine+(Device)

Basically build the 3x2x2 right next to a suitably humungous steam boiler, chuck your ridiculously expensive turbine rotor into it, and then put an IC2 cable next to the machine.

What do you do with all this raw power? GregTech has a recipe for centrifuging lava that yields bars of copper, tin, electrum plus tungsten dust. Thermal Expansion lets you make infinite cobble and then melt it into lava, allowing you to summon metal from nothing using MJ and EU. There's also an energy tesseract that will let you power a quarry remotely and some other stuff from Forestry to mess around with.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
That wiki needs updating, it says a max boiler is 3x3x3 which is not the case, you can have a row of fuel burners and 3x3x4 on top.

JudgeCrane

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm well im having a bit of trouble now with my turbine.
What would be the best way to have it running at 100% if that is the most effcient percenct for it?
My guess would be mutiple fireboxes very close to it.
I had a 2x2 Solid Fuel High Pressure Boiler and it kept it at about 10-12% it was piped about 9 blocks away though.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Use liquiducts, for steam there is practically no other alternative if you don't won't to put it next to the boiler or use multiple golden waterproof lines (you need 8 for 100 % of steam turbine, however with this boiler you can only get 50 %).

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
There is no reason for storing steam so you might as well ditch that idea.

To elaborate, you'll generate Steam faster than a Quarry running at max speed can gather Cobble, and use it up just as fast. Making enough 9x9x9 Iron Tanks to store significant amounts of it uses up more Iron than an army of Iron Golems strong enough to take down both the Hulk and the Thing.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
you could make the cheaper xycraft tanks. they store nearly the same amount (when built really large), but these tanks will still fill up completely.

by the way, what is the largest volume for a xycraft tank?

JudgeCrane

Jul 29, 2019
you could make the cheaper xycraft tanks. they store nearly the same amount (when built really large), but these tanks will still fill up completely.

by the way, what is the largest volume for a xycraft tank?
I think its about 12x12 but you can also connect them aswell

braingkk

Jul 29, 2019
there are some famous iron golem farm designs that rely on villager numbers to reliable spawn in the golems regularly.
is a good example of JL2579's design show in this tutorial by docm77

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
there are some famous iron golem farm designs that rely on villager numbers to reliable spawn in the golems regularly.

That is not going to get you infinite iron golems, though, as not all required resources are unlimited (time, energy to run your computer, your lifespan, the lifespan of your system, etc). The Hulk isn't going to just sit around, waiting until the end of time itself, replacing PC parts and the like to fight off your iron golems. He's gonna SMASH 'em in the face right proper.

The same place you are going to get enough iron tank blocks to store the excess steam.

Storing steam in steam form is absurd. It's much easier to store it in MJ form, or in the form of materials you mine using quarries. Besides that, why not just use XyCraft tanks instead of RailCraft tanks, if you really want to store steam? They're a great deal cheaper.

JudgeCrane

Jul 29, 2019
I could use iron tanks to store if I wanted to, im using the uu matter trick essentially every 3 uu matter equals 10 iron. So yeah, but now with xycraft tanks I could store things cheaper really love the xychorium water blocks too, can cool my engines and look cool while doing it no pun intended. But I guess its much better to send your steam straight to your engines to pump or convert instead of adding the extra step of storage.
Still though its fun to build these giant tanks :)

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
To get to 100% you need to supply 320 Steam per tick.

Every low pressure tank is 10 steam per tick. Every High pressure tank is 20 steam per tick.

Fuel usage wise boilers use fuel most efficiently when made the full size (3x3 base with 36 tanks on top).

A 36 tank LP boiler will make 360 steam, so you could run a turbine at 100% and have 40 steam per tick to run your MJ machines. Every 5 steam = 1 MJ when run through a steam engine. You could run 4 hobbyist, 2 commercial steam engines, or one industrial with the 40 steam left over.

Keeping a full tank hot is a commitment though. As it uses more fuel in the heatup phase, so you want to start up the boiler only once and then use renewable fuels to keep it going forever....

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm well im having a bit of trouble now with my turbine.
What would be the best way to have it running at 100% if that is the most effcient percenct for it?
My guess would be mutiple fireboxes very close to it.
I had a 2x2 Solid Fuel High Pressure Boiler and it kept it at about 10-12% it was piped about 9 blocks away though.
You can eliminate the need for pipes by just putting the turbine adjacent to the boiler. Also, I think you need a bigger boiler. They do take a lot of steel to build and lots of fuel to operate though.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
But I guess its much better to send your steam straight to your engines to pump or convert instead of adding the extra step of storage.

In almost all cases, yes, that is the case. Steam is produced so quickly that you're much better off using it instead of storing it, as storage is a form of buffering, and steam is not very efficient in that regard. You may be better off storing lava, created by steam using magma crucibles, as that stores much more efficiently.

Still though its fun to build these giant tanks :)

Indeed, it is. Lovely tanks of clouds.