Steam Dynamo and their relation to BC Pump.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
Hello All,

First post to the FTB forums here. I play version 1.7.10 on the Direwolf20 and not long ago I created some BC Factory Pumps and connected them to the Steam Dynamos from Thermal Expansion and everything worked great. I began pumping water up to my operations. (Recently, with Additional Pipes, I have converted to Phased Pipe to lessen unsightly pipes). But before I converted I had a notion to add another BC Factory Pump to my pumping site and come to find out that all of a sudden Thermal Expansion's Steam Dynamo will no longer pair with the BC Factory Pump. Here is a couple images:

2015-03-22_14.32.31.png
2015-03-22_14.32.42.png

Would anybody have information about how this might have changed?

On a side note (concerning change):
A couple months ago I created a Cobalt Hammer in the tool forge using a Tough Paper Rod, Cobalt Hammer Head and Cobalt Large Plate. When finished I decided to use a Redstone Flux Capacitor instead of Moss Ball to repair, along with the other mods of Diamond and Lapis and Redstone. And it worled wonderfully. Today (3/22/2015) My brother and I attempted to recreate what I put together months ago. And today the Capacitor will no longer go into the the exact hammer I made back when. Anyone know why that changed?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
1: Adding a second pump is rather foolish. A single pump can pump up immense amounts of water(20 buckets per second) if you give it enough power and you don't bottleneck the output.
2: Speaking of bottlenecking the outputs: It is completely ridiculous to power the pump with a dynamo and then limit its output with a wooden pipe. The pump will automatically output into pipes/tanks so you do not need to extract. Indeed if you actually think you need 2 pumps, you should be using gold pipes or Endertank/Tesseracts placed directly against the pumps. The pumps are not limiting the water production, your pipes are.
3: You placed 2 pumps in a small confined area of water it seems. It looks like they actually emptied out the upper layer at least partially as one of them moved down one layer. You want to make sure they actually have infinite pools to draw from.
4: I was under the impression that pumps had to be powered from the sides. But could be remembering something wrong here.

Conclusion:
Throw one pump away. You don't need it.
Place a Dynamo against the side of the pump. Place an Endertank/Tesseract directly on top of the pump(or at least use some high capacity pipes/conduits). The pump will automatically output, do not bottleneck it by setting something up that draws out the water.

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
Ok Thanks I had not thought I was bottle necking my system. I will look into that. Ive not yet heard of the Endertank/Tasseract you refer too as an option.

Concerning your conclusion, I posted to find out why BC Factory Pumps would no longer attach (in any way: sides, top or bottom) to the Steam Dynamo. Also, I am drawing off an endless supply of water. In fact Im drawing off the Ocean (left of the pumps) which is down the hill from my compound. I've never once, nor do I ever believe, I will drain the ocean dry ;)

One more note, The pipes you see there are in fact piping water into the Steam Dynamo's to keep them full of water. If there is a better way to do that I would like to know. Seemed to make sense and works well.

One more thing to mention, the wooden fluid pipe you see in the pic is there because I have to use that off the pump into the Phased Fluid Pipe. So looking at this one more time you would be completely correct in that the pump on the right is redundant and should be removed.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also, I am drawing off an endless supply of water. In fact Im drawing off the Ocean (left of the pumps) which is down the hill from my compound. I've never once, nor do I ever believe, I will drain the ocean dry ;)
It doesn't really work that way. The pump is not sucking water out of the sea. It is instead removing one block which is then filled in again by nearby blocks. And as it looks like you surrounded the pumps with a ring of cobble they probably only detect the water in that little puddle. Two pumps pumping from that tiny area would then possibly empty it out before the blocks can flood back. That is probably why one pump have extended further down as there were no more to be found up at the upper layer.

One more note, The pipes you see there are in fact piping water into the Steam Dynamo's to keep them full of water. If there is a better way to do that I would like to know. Seemed to make sense and works well.
As the Pump will auto output into any adjacent pipe/tanks I would believe that it would automatically keep the Dynamos filled without any need for pipes. You just need to fill them up initially with a bucket or something so they can get the pumps going.

Ok Thanks I had not thought I was bottle necking my system. I will look into that. Ive not yet heard of the Endertank/Tasseract you refer too as an option.
Tesseracts are a wireless transport solution from Thermal Expansion that is great as it have no bandwidth restrictions.
Endertanks(don't actually know if these are in the pack, but would think so) are tanks that magically linked. Thing is that if you place a tank directly on the pump there will also not be any bandwidth restrictions. And you can have as many linked Ender thanks as you want for the output side.

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseracts are a wireless transport solution from Thermal Expansion that is great as it have no bandwidth restrictions.
Endertanks(don't actually know if these are in the pack, but would think so) are tanks that magically linked. Thing is that if you place a tank directly on the pump there will also not be any bandwidth restrictions. And you can have as many linked Ender thanks as you want for the output side

Thanks for all the info Rhn. I have, since we started this thread convo, remedied the pump situation by creating a pier out into the ocean quite a ways as shown here:
2015-03-22_19.20.50.png

In the next Images you will see that I have a set up that sounds similar to what you are talking about with your Tasseracts and Endertanks. I have tanks stacked and hooked into Phased Fluid Pipe. The tank on the left fills with water to a capacity of 48000 and remains full because the phased fluid pipes receives from the phased fluid pipe out in the ocean. And the Lava tank hooked up in the same manner receives its lava from the Nether where I have another pumping station sending.
2015-03-22_19.21.20.png

The next images will show you what I have changed and I think you may agree that this will be a much more efficient way to pump. Additionally I have forgone the use of the Dynamo engine using instead the Redstone engines. A lot less mess.
2015-03-22_19.19.39.png
2015-03-22_19.19.55.png
2015-03-22_19.20.19.png

So, taking some of your advice, I think I may have a better system here then I did before.

Also still looking for any answers that might be had as to why the Steam Dynamo does not connect any longer to the BC Factory Pump and as well a reasonable reason as to why Redstone Flux Capacitors no longer will work with tools created in the Tool Forge.

Last edited:

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Also still looking for any answers that might be had as to why the Steam Dynamo does not connect any longer to the BC Factory Pump and as well a reasonable reason as to why Redstone Flux Capacitors no longer will work with tools created in the Tool Forge.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to tell you. The dynamo sends energy to the pump without issue. You can use a Transmission Coil Duct Augment in the Dynamo and the pump will put water into it.

What you *might* be seeing, however, is an issue where the pump does not properly iterate through all possible sides and always begins said iteration at side 0 (the bottom).

But basically, Pump uses RF. Dynamos make RF. The two work together, I just tested it. From the sounds of it though, you're either new to TE or new to modded Minecraft in general. An Aqueous Accumulator does exactly what you want here - unlimited water and it's very easy to set up. It was made long ago when the Pump/4x Redstone Engine setup was ubiquitous, and lag-inducing. It's less lag inducing now, but still awkward, for reasons you seem to be discovering.

Also, Tesseracts work quite well for remote transport of well...anything. Food for thought.

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you KL appreciate you taking a moment to explain a few things to me. I am in fact somewhat new to Minecraft in general as I started a couple days after Christmas 2014. I am learning a lot as I go along. YouTube has been extremely helpful although I sometimes have to take the bits and pieces from them and go from there as sometimes the posters are using older versions of Minecraft and the mods.

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
Oh hey, one question for you there KL. Concerning the Aqueous Accumulator, well actually a couple of questions, what powers it and can I use it in conjunction with the Phased Fluid Pipe and Teleport Tether system?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Oh hey, one question for you there KL. Concerning the Aqueous Accumulator, well actually a couple of questions, what powers it and can I use it in conjunction with the Phased Fluid Pipe and Teleport Tether system?
Last I checked, the Aquaeous Accumulator works for free. It should work with Tesseracts, endertanks, EnderIO Dimensional Transcievers, teleport pipes, or what have you.

It's kinda slow, though, although about as fast as your pump/RS engine setup. If you want something faster, look to Extra Utilities. If you place a Liquid Transfer Node facing a few water sourceblocks and give it a few World Interaction Upgrades, it'll produce water for free. More upgrades = more water. Also, Speed Upgrades might also increase the rate at which it produces water, although I'm not sure.

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
King Lemming,

I just wanted to post a couple pics here to show you what is happening in my world. I realize you said you don't know what to tell me but I just wanted to show you anyhow.
2015-03-22_20.57.13.png
2015-03-22_20.57.57.png

As you can see here for some reason they do not connect correctly. When I initially had them connected they connected to the top of the Pump shaft down as you can see in the earlier pic I posted of the old set up I had.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for all the info Rhn. I have, since we started this thread convo, remedied the pump situation by creating a pier out into the ocean quite a ways as shown here:
View attachment 16485

In the next Images you will see that I have a set up that sounds similar to what you are talking about with your Tasseracts and Endertanks. I have tanks stacked and hooked into Phased Fluid Pipe. The tank on the left fills with water to a capacity of 48000 and remains full because the phased fluid pipes receives from the phased fluid pipe out in the ocean. And the Lava tank hooked up in the same manner receives its lava from the Nether where I have another pumping station sending.
View attachment 16488

The next images will show you what I have changed and I think you may agree that this will be a much more efficient way to pump. Additionally I have forgone the use of the Dynamo engine using instead the Redstone engines. A lot less mess.
View attachment 16489 View attachment 16491 View attachment 16493

So, taking some of your advice, I think I may have a better system here then I did before.

AFAIK if nothing major have changed, you should not use the Wooden pipe on top of the pump there. It have a very low bandwidth. Can't you just put those whatever pipes directly on the pump? Else use a golden pipe or stone if being cheap(though I guess it hardly matters with only RS engines).

Also, Speed Upgrades might also increase the rate at which it produces water, although I'm not sure.
Speed upgrades increases the speed at which the transfer nodes scans the connected pipes to find an inventory to deposit its items/fluid into. If this is a speed issue that requires you to use many speed upgrades you should shorten the path instead. Else you will burn up a lot of server/PC resources.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
King Lemming,

I just wanted to post a couple pics here to show you what is happening in my world. I realize you said you don't know what to tell me but I just wanted to show you anyhow.
View attachment 16504 View attachment 16506

As you can see here for some reason they do not connect correctly. When I initially had them connected they connected to the top of the Pump shaft down as you can see in the earlier pic I posted of the old set up I had.
Can't you just rotate them with a Crescent hammer?

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
I have not tried that rhn. I'll give it a go. But when I used the engines in my old build I plopped them on the top connected. Seems odd that all of a sudden a month or so later they don't. Appreciate you guys and the tips. Thanks a ton. :)

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
But from all your tips and constructive criticism, I am now thinking that set up and the set up I am using is some of the most inefficient ways to pump endless water into my tanks. And now I seem to have a couple better options and I am a little confused, I must admit as to what would be best. What I am mainly doing is pumping water to Combustion Engines and my Steam Generator (for IC2 Coolant generation). And the lava I pump is for my Combustion Engines as well. Which seems for all extensive purposes to work fine. But I believe that is because, if what I was told is correct, the lava pools in the Nether are in fact endless. As apposed to the water and lava in the Overworld.

Minnesota Jeff

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK if nothing major have changed, you should not use the Wooden pipe on top of the pump there. It have a very low bandwidth. Can't you just put those whatever pipes directly on the pump? Else use a golden pipe or stone if being cheap(though I guess it hardly matters with only RS engines).

No, I am pretty sure you can not attach the Phased Fluid Pipe directly into the Pump.
I have not tried your other pipe suggestions just yet. I will however do that right now. Well after I review the posts and write down what they were that is :D ;)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Last I checked, the Aquaeous Accumulator works for free. It should work with Tesseracts, endertanks, EnderIO Dimensional Transcievers, teleport pipes, or what have you.

It's kinda slow, though, although about as fast as your pump/RS engine setup. If you want something faster, look to Extra Utilities. If you place a Liquid Transfer Node facing a few water sourceblocks and give it a few World Interaction Upgrades, it'll produce water for free. More upgrades = more water. Also, Speed Upgrades might also increase the rate at which it produces water, although I'm not sure.
There are speed upgrades for the Aqueous Accumulator as well.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The lava in the nether is not endless. The pools are just larger and deeper than the over world. You will eventually, and regularly, have to move your nether pumps.