Status updates for private mod pack owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Well, I think that's it. All messages responded to and all packs up. I'm sure it'll all pile back up again quickly, but for now I'm caught up.

New guidelines still inching closer.

Reactions: tfox83

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Sorry folks, just didn't have enough time to get all the uploads done today. I should hopefully finish up tomorrow.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Quick note, I did get all the updates done, but have not yet gotten to the new packs. I am traveling all day tomorrow, but hopefully I will get back to you Tuesday evening.

Reactions: bearbear12345

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Getting to crunch time at the end of the semester. I didn't have time to get all the updates up today, they should be up tomorrow evening.

Same with new packs, I have half a dozen or so whose permissions check out, so if you haven't heard from me, likely it will also be up tomorrow evening.

Sorry for the delays, hopefully I will have more time after the semester is over.

Reactions: Teebor and xbony2

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Really sorry for the updates not going up. I'm going to try to carve out an hour or two to do that tomorrow. Unfortunately this Thursday/Fridays updates will likely end up being the same. Just really busy with school stuff.

In comparison to the projects I'm working on now, exams should take far less of my time, so I will likely have a lot more time starting a week from this Thursday, since all four of my projects are due the night before.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
All packs updated and new packs uploaded. Or are uploading now and will be up within the hour.

To summarize my current situation, I have 1 week left in my semester and have 4 projects due by the end of it. I unfortunately did not have time to get last weeks updates up until now, and likely will not be able to get this weeks updates up until next week, though I might find time. I got everything up that had been submitted prior to this message.

Apologies to everyone for the out of cycle or delayed updates. Hopefully I will have more time after the end of the semester.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Quick post about 1.7 packs.

For minecraft 1.5 and lower, the FTB launcher, and MultiMC, loaded "jar" mods, such as Forge, from a folder called instMods. With the new vanilla launcher Mojang put out with 1.6, that changed. All the launchers, FTB, MultiMC and the vanilla one, look at certain file called a JSON file to tell what to load. This makes it a heck of a lot easier from a programmers perspective to add new libraries such as Forge, and a number of other ones. Unfortunately, this also means it's a bit harder from the end users perspective to add Forge.

In my case, it has become impractical to have you guys, the modpack makers, add Forge yourselves. It would be possible, but there are a number of little things it would be easy to mess up, and I don't have time to debug it. However, there is a somewhat simple fix to the problem. I can just add Forge for you. This is what I've been doing for all the 1.6 packs. However, this has been possible because Forge is no longer updating for 1.6, so I only have to worry about one version. I can just copy in Forge, in the correct folder, along with all the other libraries it needs, and that JSON file.

1.7 is different. There are lots of versions of Forge. Everyone will want a different one, and it will change between updates. I can work around this, it won't take me long to write something that takes a Forge version number and copies the correct libraries and JSON in. But, due to my school schedule, I haven't had that time.

TL;DR 1.7 is coming soon, still too busy with school stuff right now.

HOWEVER, if you really want a 1.7 pack, I will give you this option. Download the official Unstable pack (direct link), look at where the forge file is stored and what the pack.json file says and modify it for the version of forge you want. Then copy that pack.json and the entire libraries folder to your pack and submit it. Be sure to mention that you are using this option. I'll upload it as is. If it doesn't work, it's up to you to figure out what's wrong and resubmit it. I will not provide any support. Regular 1.7 support should only be a few more weeks away.

Hint, you should only need to add a new folder with the version number and forge inside it, similar to the one that is under libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/ , remove the old one and change 2 lines in the JSON. Good luck.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Finally, after far longer than I anticipated, updated guidelines are up. At the moment, it is mostly just condensing of what was previously 3 topics, but more is soon to come.

There is one big change. 2 months after first asking for helpers, I am finally ready to have pack authors add the new team members to their conversations.You can click the "Invite More" button under the conversation participants in your conversation. Simply paste in this
Code:
tfox83,Flenix,Caigan,IBeRamen
The link on the guidelines to submit a new pack also now starts a conversation with all of us.

For the moment, I still have to actually upload packs to the repo, but this is a big step closer to a system that is faster than once a week, at best.

Also on the team are bearbear12345, elinea, GreatOrator and KindarConrath. They are helping me behind the scenes.

New packs and updates should be up as normal tonight or tomorrow.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
The FTP server that we use to access the repo is apparently having difficulties. I've notified the appropriate people, but I doubt it will be resolved today. That means updates and new packs will be delayed, again. Sorry about that.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Got all the pack updates downloaded and prepped, however, I'm on vacation and the library I'm doing this from is only giving me an upload speed of 100 kb/s. For the 2 gigs of packs, that works out to nearly 6 hours of upload time. And the library closes in half an hour. I'll be home saturday evening, packs will be up then.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Got in late last night and didn't have time to get the uploads done.

All the updates I had ready on Thursday are up. Starting on all the new packs and updates submitted since then.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
All packs up. I'm traveling for the weekend, so I may not be able to get hotfixes up till Sunday.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Big news! 1.7.2 is officially supported now. Simply submit as you would a 1.6 pack. Do not include the libraries folder or the pack.json anymore. Specify the forge version unless you want us to always keep it on recommended.

Big shout out to @tfox83 for putting in a bunch of extra effort to support this.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Apologies for not getting everyone's hotfixes up over the weekend. Hitting the end of my summer class and had a project creep up on me. Everything should be up tomorrow, er, later today.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
News post.

My team has been a big help for the last 2 months. I want to give a big thank you to all of them, but especially @tfox83 who has really been picking up a lot of the work.

1.7.10 is now officially supported.

If anyone didn't notice, the launcher recently updated. Third party modpacks are now in a seperate tab. This change was done with the intent to expand the number of third party packs available to users by default. In the past, the policy for such packs has always been quite strict. Although we are still in the process of rewriting the guidelines, they will be much more open to encourage new submissions. As usual we aren't setting a date, but hopefully within the week.

I've posted about my permissions tool several times, but as you can tell, I'm still not using it yet. Shortly after that post, I hit a problem. The tool could read a pack and build permissions for it easily enough, but it had no way of remembering the permissions for a specific pack the next time that pack needed to be updated. I would have to reenter the permission each time or have some sort of hybrid solution of writing out the general permissions and having the pack author include the permissions for the mods that weren't open. I decided this wasn't much of an improvement over the current system, so I started working on the solution. This was to have a list of all the packs with the saved permissions. This turned into a full pack management tool that could edit all the pack details, as well as zip and upload the pack to the repo, which would also be able to solve that forge problem. Then the end of my school semester hit and I didn't have time for awhile. I've gotten back into it and the tool is nearing completion. This will also allow the team members to upload to the repo, at least indirectly, which will in turn finally deliver on my promise from months ago to push pack updates faster than once a week. No ETA on this one either, but hopefully just a few more weeks.

We are also looking into a lot of other helpful changes, but nothing has been finalized yet.

Lastly, I want to point out that we now have this forum section specifically for posting questions and comments.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Just fyi, I got updates and new packs up Thursday. I'll get everything people have submitted since then up Saturday or Sunday. If you want to guarantee your pack going up before Friday night, you have to submit Wednesday.

Reactions: tfox83
Status
Not open for further replies.