Starting a SMP for the first time.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone, After months of debating I have decided that I am sick of lag from too many machines in my SSP world. Last night I got fed up and pulled the trigger and ordered a Spider Server from Creeperhost for me and a few friends to play the Ultimate pack on. I have never had a server for any game so I have a few questions (probably NOOB questions sry) that I hope somebody can help with.

1: Any general tips or tricks for running/maintaining a Creeperhost Server.

2: I want to configure the config files to my liking (Gregtech), will simply copying the entire config folder that I want and have all the players paste that over their client's original config folder work? Any other tips for setting up the config?

3: I would like to disable Voxel Minimap and enable Rei's Minimap. Will I have to install Rei's on the server as well as the players clients or just the clients?

4: How easy/hard is it to switch maps on the sever. IE when no one else is on I would like to switch over to my current SSP map.

5: What is the easiest way to backup the map? Is it simply just copy the save files on my local computer?

6: When it does get released, what will it take to update the server to 1.5?

Sorry if there are grammatical errors I know I'm crappy with it, but I think spell-check caught most of them.
Thanks for any help, It is very much appreciated.
-Anubis

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
1. Can't say for sure as I have never run a Creeperhost server, but when I was running mine, FileZilla was your friend. It helped install extra things like plug-ins (might not be much of an issue though with that, but you still might be able to get ForgeBukkit or something of the sort that allows plug-ins on this kind of server.)

2. The client configs should have no affect on what the server configs are, so you just need to install the config file that you edited.

3. Disabling Voxel should be just as easy as un-installing it, but I'm not 100% sure on that, and to enable rei's you would need to install it to the server, and all of your friends would need to download it as well.

4. It should be just as easy as moving the world files out of the folder and replacing it with your SSP map.

5. Just copy it to your local computer, or better yet, a flash drive.

6. Depending on how much you messed with the configs, it should be pretty simple to change the pack when it updates. Just be sure to make a back-up of the current config file before updating.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
The mini map is client side -that means if you change it for yourself, it won't change for anyone else. They can still use Voxel, or can change on their own.

For GT, the people on your server will need to change configs as well, for recipes. WorldGen is server side only.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick responses, I really appreciate the help =D

Another question for you. Are there any MUST-HAVE plugins that everyone uses?

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
We use the /home command, and turn off creeper griefing. But we're a really small server where everyone knows everyone else.

One thing you may want to do - all our power generation is in a mystcraft world (it helps with lag), we also do all our automated mining in a different mystcraft world

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
I was gonna cheat in a mining age right out the gate. I wasn't gonna make a age for our workshop until we can make a legit age, but I guess while i'm at I might as well make a void age. Thanks again.