Squids Are OverPowered

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Did you know that a single squid in a 5x5x2 tank can power a 36HP boiler? I didn't either. You add some ranchers in the walls and send the ink sacs to 4 or 5 Bio Reactors. Feed the Bio Juice they make into the boiler and presto. Your only problem is that you can't breed squid and they despawn. To fix that you capture one in a jailers safari net then release it into your pool.
This in my mind is SUPER OP. 2 ranchers, one jailers net, one squid, a hole, and 4-5 Bio Reactors can power most early bases. And another and that is a lot of production. How far can you take this?

What are your opinions on this newly found squid powering system.
I release this was mentioned in a few other threads recently but I think it deserves its own thread.

So finally SQUID = OP. enjoy commenting in this thread about your thoughts of squid. :D

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds halrius.

But honestly that sounds like MFR might need to do something about ink sacs then. Maybe just remove them as a bio reactor option.

As a side... totaly going to test build one later. I saw the comment earlyer about this and its on my stuff to check out list.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
The bioreactor needs different types to be efficient. The amount of ink sacks it would take to keep 5 running would be god knows how many ranchers. I am going to test this in creative but it sounds like BS to me. Will let yall know my results in a bit.

Reactions: RedBoss

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
The bioreactor needs different types to be efficient. The amount of ink sacks it would take to keep 5 running would be god knows how many ranchers. I am going to test this in creative but it sounds like BS to me. Will let yall know my results in a bit.
It works with 4 and I already have 20k excess sacs

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
You need multiple reactors because with 40 ranchers you produce way more ink then one can use. And yeah if you sit on it over time you will get Biofuel. It might even power 1 boiler but I doubt it. Honestly I dont see it as vastly better then a tree farm which produces TONS of power.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
You need multiple reactors because with 40 ranchers you produce way more ink then one can use. And yeah if you sit on it over time you will get Biofuel. It might even power 1 boiler but I doubt it. Honestly I dont see it as vastly better then a tree farm which produces TONS of power.

but tree farms are icky to set up

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
4 not 40. That would be obscured. Try it out I think it is 1 sac per tick

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

I'll have to see what it looks like in a test rig.

I am not sure you need 40 ranchers to get the ink you need. And once you have enough ink to bioreactors to make a steady flow that is enough to keep the boiler running you have a closed system.

Not saying it will work. Still need to test it. But effeciny is not the point of something like this. It just needs to be good enough to keep the boiler running. What I can see if it does work is that a spuid tank would not need much space or power beyound the ranchers. and could be stashed away under a base with little issue. Where a tree farm needs light and space and power for the harvesters, planters, and ferterlizers. It also needs input of ferterlizers. So there could be an advantage here for the silly squid system.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Myeeah, be the latest version of MFR only gives you 5 milibuckets of biofuel if the diversity is only 1. I guess that's why Grydian's doubting.

Vary ture.... but then you could use the squid and plug it into your existing biofuel system upping its output for little cost.

Reactions: Lord Wumbo

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
This seems like a proper way to punish those squids. There is nothing worse than permanent squid corners or non-stop ink sack spamming when they beach themselves.

Making them power a base, in some horrible drainage tank, seems like justice.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Conguy what version of MFR are you doing this on? It is going be awhile before I can test this and as poppy the Biofuel god has pointed out the recenet version of MFR reblanced effecieny to output making the cruve more harsh.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Vary ture.... but then you could use the squid and plug it into your existing biofuel system upping its output for little cost.

'S'what I was thinkin'. I've also been considering adding oak and MFR rubber for some time, gyshal greens perhaps. Possibly a second power. This could bring me well over 2700 MJ.
Conguy what version of MFR are you doing this on? It is going be awhile before I can test this and as poppy the Biofuel god has pointed out the recenet version of MFR reblanced effecieny to output making the cruve more harsh.

More harsh barely begins to cover it, it used to be 80 at div 1, now it's 16 times less. Pretty much means you wouldn't need 40, but 64 ranchers.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
'S'what I was thinkin'. I've also been considering adding oak and MFR rubber for some time, gyshal greens perhaps. Possibly a second power. This could bring me well over 2700 MJ.

More harsh barely begins to cover it, it used to be 80 at div 1, now it's 16 times less. Pretty much means you wouldn't need 40, but 64 ranchers. And way more reactors as well.

So heres the plan... You make a nice pretty squid aquaruma in your base (or in the neuxs) and hide some ranchers. Toss in a dozen squids. Bam nice looking set peice and (mostly) free ink sacs.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
So heres the plan... You make a nice pretty squid aquaruma in your base (or in the neuxs) and hide some ranchers. Toss in a dozen squids. Bam nice looking set peice and (mostly) free ink sacs.

Love the plan xD.

Damn, now I wish there was other marine life in MC.

Oh by the way guys, bonemeal works as well.

Reactions: Flipz