Squids Are OverPowered

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
This post-nerf version isn't even out of beta yet, so until it is officially released I don't think it will be in any FTB pack.

Also, wow. Ink sacs? Now I need to try other mod drops too. Having your base powered by your farm is one thing, having it powered by the death of animals is another completely amazing and different thing.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
This post-nerf version isn't even out of beta yet, so until it is officially released I don't think it will be in any FTB pack.

Also, wow. Ink sacs? Now I need to try other mod drops too. Having your base powered by your farm is one thing, having it powered by the death of animals is another completely amazing and different thing.
The squid don't die! They are endlessly sheared to their bones. :D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I think Resonant Rise has the beta for MFR with the change in efficiency, which would obviate this, since it would cost more energy to harvest that many ink sacs than you would get out of it.

Reactions: RedBoss

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
I think Resonant Rise has the beta for MFR with the change in efficiency, which would obviate this, since it would cost more energy to harvest that many ink sacs than you would get out of it.
Yeah, looks like we can't use this for too much longer..

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
How about an ordinary Soul Shards spawner of squid? I know Soul Shards is temporarily unavailable, but when it's back... >:]

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
even post nerf this is a useful device. think about it. efficiency in the biofuel reactor is dependent on putting a variety of different items into them. this is a very compact way of upping the variety by one. so hook it up to your tree farm to boost it's efficiency.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
How about an ordinary Soul Shards spawner of squid? I know Soul Shards is temporarily unavailable, but when it's back... >:]

While that would work. Once MFR is updated you still go back to the single item bio reactor is just ridiculously poor. Which to be honest is a good thing the bio reactor is supposed to make you want to feed it multiple things. In a full farm setup where you doing multiple things the bio reactor is your go to for all your overstock. Seeds, saplings, unwanted plant balls and everything else gets turned into fuel instead of stocking up to silly levels in a DSU somewhere.

But what it is not supposed to be is a one trick pony for fuel. Which is why you can get away with it now in FTB but it is something MFR addressed and fixed in more recent builds.[DOUBLEPOST=1375949062][/DOUBLEPOST]
even post nerf this is a useful device. think about it. efficiency in the biofuel reactor is dependent on putting a variety of different items into them. this is a very compact way of upping the variety by one. so hook it up to your tree farm to boost it's efficiency.

Yes which is why I commented a few posts back that the squid thing is still useful as you can get basically cheap inksacs and feed them into your pre-existing bioreactor systems boosting the output for vary little cost.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, if the biofuel reactor changes that drastically, is there a way to automate it so it won't just instantly waste stuff put into it but wait for a certain diversity?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, if the biofuel reactor changes that drastically, is there a way to automate it so it won't just instantly waste stuff put into it but wait for a certain diversity?

you could saturate it with saplings first maybe?
those treefarms are incredibly productive, so if you use LG pipes you could set it so that it always keeps a stack of 64 inside the reactor at all times. you would run out eventually ofc, but by then you should have added not only ink, but also melon and pumpkin seeds. (also very very productive farms). the challenge is to make certain that not any single item clogs up the works by filling the input slots on the reactors, but that is the area where logistic pipes really shine, so make use of it. and once set up, if you start having a surpluss in the overflow chests, then you just add another pipe/reactor to the chain.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

It will not let you over stack items so the easiest way if just to toss an item collector on it and run a conveyor over it with all your things. It will fill two stacks (one in 3x3 and one in the buffer) of each thing running by. As long as you have a steady supply it should run fairly fool proof.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
It will not let you over stack items so the easiest way if just to toss an item collector on it and run a conveyor over it with all your things. It will fill two stacks (one in 3x3 and one in the buffer) of each thing running by. As long as you have a steady supply it should run fairly fool proof.

it wont let you overstack? wow. the things i learn on here... makes it a tonne easier then. only conveyors needed to run on top of the line of bioreactors.

now since we usually don't want to hold onto overflow from a system such as this, the sensible thing to do would be to just eject everything reactable you don't want to keep onto the conveyors at one end, then maybe feed it into a pool of lava at the other end to get rid of surpluses.
basically you make the biofuel system your trashbin for organics.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
it wont let you overstack? wow. the things i learn on here... makes it a tonne easier then. only conveyors needed to run on top of the line of bioreactors.

now since we usually don't want to hold onto overflow from a system such as this, the sensible thing to do would be to just eject everything reactable you don't want to keep onto the conveyors at one end, then maybe feed it into a pool of lava at the other end to get rid of surpluses.
basically you make the biofuel system your trashbin for organics.

Something to note however, if your bio-reactor is filling up with an item, it means that it can produce enough biofuel from that item to keep up with demand, if it couldn't, it'd be using up the item much faster.

So, in *most* cases you don't need to worry about the bio reactor filling up as the items you're feeding it normally comes from gross over production.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, in my tests the bio reactor used stuff way faster than I could supply them. So it was almost always empty, and as soon as the first kind of stuff was inserted, it used that up (very wastefull) and then sat empty waiting for a different kind of resource. So I would kinda need a gate-condition that shuts off the reactor unless there are atleast x different stacks of items in there.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, in my tests the bio reactor used stuff way faster than I could supply them. So it was almost always empty, and as soon as the first kind of stuff was inserted, it used that up (very wastefull) and then sat empty waiting for a different kind of resource. So I would kinda need a gate-condition that shuts off the reactor unless there are atleast x different stacks of items in there.

you just need to create more supply or use less bioreactors. Most decent sized farms will create way more then your bioreactor can use.

Ask poppycock to show you his system some time. It just a couple of farms and runs like a dozen reactors off that and still has overflow.

Reactions: RedBoss

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Something to note however, if your bio-reactor is filling up with an item, it means that it can produce enough biofuel from that item to keep up with demand, if it couldn't, it'd be using up the item much faster.

So, in *most* cases you don't need to worry about the bio reactor filling up as the items you're feeding it normally comes from gross over production.

gross overproduction indeed. the first reactors on the line will be way more efficient than the others ofc. but these reactors are cheap. and steam boilers are pretty efficient. what i would do is to use the first reactor to feed a medium LP boiler that is used to run all the farms on a separate power network, then feed the biofuel from the others into storage, and/or bigger boilers for sending power to the rest of the base. that way you ensure steady running of your farms even if you were to drain your energy reserves completely.
there should be enough saplings from a MFR farm to run the farms on that alone. the rest of the ingredient types are there to increase the amounts of biofuel the system exports. if the first reactor has been completely clogged with one item type, then efficiency would be lost. there is no point in ensuring that all the reactors run at peak however, since we use it as a waste disposal system as well. if your base needs more power, then add another farm type until the energy export again matches or exceeds the needs of your base.

(I usually export the lumber and charcoal from the bioplant to use as transportable solid fuel and building matts).

Ammaneus

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using a setup like this for a while now on b0bst3r's Unleashed server, and it's worth noting that through the power of SCIENCE :), that ME precision export buses will not put more than a stack of any single item into a bioreactor, I have 10k ink sacs and bonemeal (another good bio-fuel) and up to 1k of various seeds/shrooms/whatever in an AE 'subnet' and it manages the bioreactors perfectly.

The only tiny downside is that ME export buses only have 8 slots for items, so if you want 9-item efficiency, you'll need 2 per reactor :p ,but it does mean no messing around with gates or logistics pipes.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Wow... And I thought this was a joke...

If you're like me and already have a good farm for wood, wheat, carrots and potatoes it's not too hard to add the "squid reactor" system to boost efficiency a bit. If you're planning on using it as a standalone system, that would be more difficult to use...