Spacetoad is back to modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully he can turn BC power back from the disastrous path it's currently on and onto something that resembles usefullness
The BuildCraft power improved a lot under CovertJaguar. A tiny amount of power loss in idle machines instead of in the pipes does not equate to disastrous change.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
right riiiiiight... thats why almost every single mod that used it has abandoned it.
There are mod authors that disagree with how the BuildCraft power is designed and that's fine, but there are no technical problems that would prevent anyone from using it. The difference between now and before is that the design is harder to avoid. Thermal Expansion "broke" the design and changed players perception and expectations of BC power. BuildCraft is now trying to retake its ownership of the power and reinstate its design.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
There are mod authors that disagree with how the BuildCraft power is designed and that's fine, but there are no technical problems that would prevent anyone from using it. The difference between now and before is that the design is harder to avoid. Thermal Expansion "broke" the design and changed players perception and expectations of BC power. BuildCraft is now trying to retake its ownership of the power and reinstate its design.

Problem is that now the Buildcraft family is now excluded from single power system modpacks like Tekkit.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you making that a problem?

Mods are optional, players and mod pack creators can mix and match as they like. Mod authors can try to please everyone, or they can make a more interesting experience for the players that prefer that specific design. I am, for example, currently playing in a world based on RailCraft, Forestry and BuildCraft. I have no other power system and I'm sure I'm enjoying the experience just as much as the guys playing Tekkit.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you making that a problem?

Mods are optional, players and mod pack creators can mix and match as they like. Mod authors can try to please everyone, or they can make a more interesting experience for the players that prefer that specific design. I am, for example, currently playing in a world based on RailCraft, Forestry and BuildCraft. I have no other power system and I'm sure I'm enjoying the experience just as much as the guys playing Tekkit.

That's good what you're doing, I just feel if a single power modpack is going to pick a single power, it'll bemore likely to be RF or UE. Just makes things for them a bit more difficult as they're less likely to use those mods which is a shame. What does that have to do with enjoyment? You just have a different, bigger, set of mods to play with.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Good for you, want a sticker?
yeah, if by broke you mean "revived and made useful and popular again"
seriously, how many people used BC power in 1.2.5? I'd be willing to bet that most people were using power converters to power their quarry with IC2 power. Then TE comes along and suddenly MJ is the shit! and now that TE has abandoned it, it once again IS shit.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

seriously, how many people used BC power in 1.2.5? I'd be willing to bet that most people were using power converters to power their quarry with IC2 power. Then TE comes along and suddenly MJ is the shit! and now that TE has abandoned it, it once again IS shit.

Absolutely right.

Reactions: Lonewolf187

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019

MJ was never meant to be a storeable power system. I used and still use BC power for certain things, a gate with the "has work" condition is a great thing that lets you turn off your power generation with a simple signal. Just because you think it's a terrible system is your OPINION and you have a right to voice it. But don't put people down who happen to like it.

Reactions: casilleroatr

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
eah, if by broke you mean "revived and made useful and popular again"
Actually, I used MJ quite extensively in 1.2.5. Most of it was generated via Biogas Generators or Peat-Fired Engines, but it was necessary to run all of your Forestry farm setups. At a minimum, I set up a Peat Bog/Turbary, Arboretum/Logger (with occasionally a Treetap if I was automating sticky resin), and generally a Farm/Combine + the addon that let me use Crops with the Combine (with stickreeds for a much better way to automate sticky resin).

Then I used Teleport Pipes to move the Biofuel to the Biogas Engines running the Quarry.

Then Multiblock Farms came out and... well... yea.

The MJ API is a nightmare. Basically, Sengir and CJ got so bleedin' tired of people screwing it up, that they made it 'idiot proof', which only restricted what you could and couldn't do with it. And declined to hear any constructive criticism on the topic. So RF came out. Now everyone is abandoning ship because RF is easier to use, more versatile and flexible, less laggy, and in general a better system to use.

With the way RF handles itself, and how engines auto-throttle... and how Itemducts are so intelligent... I have zero use for gates. And with zero use for gates, I have zero use for the Assembly Table and Lasers.

In the next version of ShneekeyCraft, I am -strongly- considering removing BC, Forestry, and Railcraft from my mod pack. The only thing I use from Forestry anymore is the Backpacks, and the only thing in Railcraft that I use are the actual tracks themselves. I can't remember the last time I used anything from the actual mod BC other than the wrench. Between Mekanism, Minefactory Reloaded, and Thermal Expansion 3, all my tech needs are pretty much satisfied. Just throw in a backpack mod and call it a day.

Yea, I'll miss the Railcraft tracks, particularly boarding tracks and such, but I suppose I'll just have to do without, because there's no point in installing such an enormous mod for one little part. Boilers have nerfed themselves into obsolescence, and with that, every other machine in the mod which works on the steam or power mechanic is of zero use. Besides, why bother building horribly expensive multiblock monstrosities when I have Mekanism Factories?

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to be one of the few people who actually have always favoured a lot of the things Buildcraft does over similar things from other mods, I've always liked Buildcraft engines more than other power sources, the reason I started using Gregtech back in the day before both Greg and IC2 started down the paths they're headed now was because of the diesel generator that let me use the metric ton of refined fuel I had laying around to power my IC2 machines, and I've always liked the Buildcraft pipes for my transportation needs, and of course the quarry. Maybe it's nostalgia factor because it was the first mod I ever installed or maybe I'm just weird.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to be one of the few people who actually have always favoured a lot of the things Buildcraft does over similar things from other mods, I've always liked Buildcraft engines more than other power sources, the reason I started using Gregtech back in the day before both Greg and IC2 started down the paths they're headed now was because of the diesel generator that let me use the metric ton of refined fuel I had laying around to power my IC2 machines, and I've always liked the Buildcraft pipes for my transportation needs, and of course the quarry. Maybe it's nostalgia factor because it was the first mod I ever installed or maybe I'm just weird.

BC still uses all of it's machines very well, and the Platinum Trio always worked so well together, but the power system isn't as good and other mods have come up with more fun ways of doing things. I don't think I'll ever remove BC, RC or Forestry any time soon though. Although I did disable all of their engines using Mine Tweaker.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I personally love Buildcraft to bits and am incredibly glad the main man is back!!! For me it's the most minecrafty mod of them all, it just fits well. It's capable of incredibly simple things as well as massively complex stuff which I also love.

I would NEVER play a pack without Buildcraft and Forestry...

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The MJ API is a nightmare. Basically, Sengir and CJ got so bleedin' tired of people screwing it up, that they made it 'idiot proof', which only restricted what you could and couldn't do with it. And declined to hear any constructive criticism on the topic. So RF came out. Now everyone is abandoning ship because RF is easier to use, more versatile and flexible, less laggy, and in general a better system to use.
King Lemming actually had a very strong influence on the new BuildCraft API. He got almost everything he asked for. The fact that he changed his mind and decided to make a new system for Thermal Expansion came as a surprise to everyone involved.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
King Lemming actually had a very strong influence on the new BuildCraft API. He got almost everything he asked for. The fact that he changed his mind and decided to make a new system for Thermal Expansion came as a surprise to everyone involved.
Actually...(Just a theory, I don't remember the dates atm :/)
What if the MJ API started to suck after KL said he would leave the mod scene? If someone can get a source with dates, this would be a possible explanation.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The first half of the statement was partially correct. The second part is completely incorrect.

KL did have some suggestions he posed to CJ (who came up with the changes). Unfortunately, his big request was something CJ was completely against, and so it didn't happen. It made the API nearly worthless because of its inflexibility. So, because KL simply could not use the BC API to do what he wanted to do, he created RF. Actually, RF was something he had been bumming around with for a while, this was merely the impetus needed to implement it.

Check your facts before making statements, please.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I do believe that MJ is out. It was pretty ridiculous to begin with (who the hell powers a giant excavator with PNEUMATIC energy), and now it's just getting out of hand (it's not even pneumatic anymore, it's just 'something'). Still, I hope that Buildcraft will have it's own unique ways of transporting RF (something a bit better than staying with the kinesis pipes anyway, maybe lasers for long distance power transport?), as I don't want my power system looking like a broken Rubik's cube (that's... what Thermal Expansion looks like, if you haven't noticed).

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The first half of the statement was partially correct. The second part is completely incorrect.

KL did have some suggestions he posed to CJ (who came up with the changes). Unfortunately, his big request was something CJ was completely against, and so it didn't happen. It made the API nearly worthless because of its inflexibility. So, because KL simply could not use the BC API to do what he wanted to do, he created RF. Actually, RF was something he had been bumming around with for a while, this was merely the impetus needed to implement it.

Check your facts before making statements, please.

The BuildCraft API is an API to interface with BuildCraft. This implies a few game play design elements that are enforced in the API in order to prevent other mods from warping that design. This is inflexible only if you for some reason don't want to follow the BuildCraft design.

I don't think you'll find any example where KL talks down on or disagree with the game play design, but he still wanted the flexibility that would enable other mods from warping BC power once again. He agreed with the design (my impression), but not that it was enforced through the API. That was the big thing Krapht, Sengir and CovertJaguar was against.

Reactions: casilleroatr

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The BuildCraft API is an API to interface with BuildCraft. This implies a few game play design elements that are enforced in the API in order to prevent other mods from warping that design. This is inflexible only if you for some reason don't want to follow the BuildCraft design.
That depends on your definition of 'the BuildCraft design'. Basically, CJ said "You have to use it in this way and no other way", which made it no longer viable for most uses.

I don't think you'll find any example where KL talks down on or disagree with the game play design, but he still wanted the flexibility that would enable other mods from warping BC power once again. He agreed with the design (my impression), but not that it was enforced through the API. That was the big thing Krapht, Sengir and CovertJaguar was against.
You are correct in that he wanted the flexibility which the new BC API did not permit. It had little to do with explicitly warping of energy and more to do with how energy was permitted to be handled in general. He understood that CJ had a different design philosophy, acknowledged that CJ had a right to that idea, and disagreed with it being a good implementation. So, because he didn't really want to get into any pissing matches or drama like another mod author did (which is leading to MJ being dropped by Mekanism for support), he made his own energy system.

Status
Not open for further replies.