Soul Shards for power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
In the current version of MFR, grinders don't work on SS mobs (which is fair enough, but now I have to figure out a new way to kill stuff. I think I'll end up making a drop trap.)

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say that you could use the blaze spawner sending the blaze rods into a set of generators. Or the wither skeleton spawner sending the coal into a boiler.

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
It's vanilla mechanics, if there is no player within 128 blocks all hostel mobs despawn.
That is indeed the mechanic for vanilla, however, soul shard mobs are special. You can easily set up mob traps and leave them alone and they will work whenever the server is open. They do, however, have a despawn timer. From my observations, when a large number of ss mobs despawn, the spawner disables itself till the chunk is loaded by a player. I assume it is so people don't wreck servers my making an Aston of T5s and leaving a chunkloader.

I have left spawners in old bases, thousands of blocks from my new base, and have my ender chest still get filled constantly. On a server, though, my attempt at a blaze XP farm got out of hand and I had to haul ass and wait till my friend could fly in with his uber armor and bomb the place with holy hand granades. I came back awhile later though, there were no blazes and it seems like the spawner just turned on.

Note: this is based upon observations and have not been confirmed via checking the code or getting word frk the mod author

Jul 29, 2019
Its weird. I play on a server and have a solid fueled 36HP Boiler running off blaze rods, both spawners work fine overnight when no one is there bar chunkloader, even when no one is on the server. But at spawn they have an exp farm, and if i move the usual 100 or so blocks from it, the blazes left over de-spawn...
Maybe it could be vanilla mechanics coming into play in the fact that when the mobs spawn they are in the radius of the spawner, and when they fall down to be grinded, THATS when the despawn counter kicks in, gives it a few seconds and they despawn. But by then they would of been killed by mfr grinders.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
My observations and personal experience:
  • If the spawners are in chunks currently loaded by a player they work.
  • If the spawners are in a dimension with no players and are chunk loaded they work.
  • If the spawners are in the same dimension as a player, but out of player chunk load range they don't work, even if they are chunk loaded.
I'm not saying this is hard fact, just what seems to happen for me.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Could this be circumvented with turtles? I was under the impression that turtles were considered player entities.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Could this be circumvented with turtles? I was under the impression that turtles were considered player entities.
if they were player entities wouldnt chunkloading not required for them to function?

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm no sure in this case as I've done my best to avoid using turtles :p. Just parroting what I overheard in a server discussion, not sure how they work but thought I'd bring it up to see.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so now apparently in the latest ultimate you can use blaze rods to make lava in a magma crucible ? Does anyone know the amount of lava it generates ? This might make it more useful than coal from wither skeles

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
  • If the spawners are in a dimension with no players and are chunk loaded they work.
  • If the spawners are in the same dimension as a player, but out of player chunk load range they don't work, even if they are chunk loaded.

I can confirm that this is 100% true in Single Player 1.4.7 so if you want to use SS spawners put them in another dimension with a chunkloader and they'll work fine

EDIT:- Double Post

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
[*]If the spawners are in the same dimension as a player, but out of player chunk load range they don't work, even if they are chunk loaded.
I'm going to assume you are talking about vanilla spawners. With soul shards they do spawn. Learned a horrible lesson this way.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to assume you are talking about vanilla spawners. With soul shards they do spawn. Learned a horrible lesson this way.

Talking about SS Spawners. They spawn and instantly despawn due to a vanilla mechanic, I've seen it happen with Optifine extra far veiw distance on with my blaze farm... In Single Player btw, on a server behaviour might be different.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about SS Spawners. They spawn and instantly despawn due to a vanilla mechanic, I've seen it happen with Optifine extra far veiw distance on with my blaze farm... In Single Player btw, on a server behaviour might be different.

Yeah, I only play on a server, so i know its constantly running with a chunk loader. One day there is 5 creepers at a time getting killed, the next...lets just say I owed the server admin one ;)

But In single-player the T5 is designed to keep spawning when the player isn't around. It's one of the statistics of a T5. I would test this but I doubt my word would matter to anyone.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019

----------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm that this is 100% true in Single Player 1.4.7 so if you want to use SS spawners put them in another dimension with a chunkloader and they'll work fine

EDIT:- Double Post

I can 100% confirm this is true - for SMP mode. End of discussion about mechanics please unless you have proof this is not the case! (I have tested extensively)

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Haha I tried to change it back earlier but no one seems to care about the question I asked in the beginning anymore