Soul Shard mod and Equivelant exchange OP together?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Is Equivelant exchange OP when combined with the Soul Shards Mod?

• Total voters

whyistheskyblue

Jul 29, 2019
I literally almost said "Stop backseat modding" then saw you were a mod.

Ontopic: you can make copper from iron via thaumcraft. Also lead, etc. = SS tier 5 Pigmen, (Or a tree farm.) TC2 and EE3 and yeah. Everything ever. ALL THE THINGS
but with thaumcraft you make flux

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Mods are balanced around them self and not every other mod.
That would be just asking for way to much work from the mod authors.

Best thing to do if you find something overpowered and just don't use it in that way.

Listen to this person. He tells the truth. Though there always is that little greggy exception.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
but with thaumcraft you make flux

Only if you're sloppy. The only thing you use is vis, which if you pace yourself can be restored with crystal clusters.

The main reason thaumcraft transformations are not in the same issue of concern that EE3 is is because you can't just do them in a crafting table. There is no no-player automation, and doing them in bulk would fill the air with that flux as well as drain the local vis.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
EVERYTHING is op with EE, especially EE 2.

In fairness, at least when it's by itself and no mod interactions are being exploited, the whole point of EE is to be perfectly balanced; the combined value of all your stuff is the same before and after transmutation.

Though you start to get problems when it strays away from simple EE; that is, items like the destruction catalyst or the energy collector start getting used. Those make it too easy to increase your total EMC. (A few other things, like automated milk farms, are also a problem.)

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
They are OP by themselves.

The return you get from them is stupidly unproportional to the work put in.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
They are OP by themselves.

I'll agree, if you include the bits like the destruction catalyst and the collector.

However, my point was that if we go by the original intention of the mod, equivalent transmutation, it should be perfectly balanced (around itself.) EE3, IMO, goes back to the core of EE and does this quite well.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I'll agree, if you include the bits like the destruction catalyst and the collector.

However, my point was that if we go by the original intention of the mod, equivalent transmutation, it should be perfectly balanced (around itself.) EE3, IMO, goes back to the core of EE and does this quite well.
I don't necessarily disagree, but, to be fair, 'equivalency' is a matter of opinion, isn't it? Two pieces of wood=obsidian? Not sure about that one. Regardless, imo, all that really does is eliminate some tedium. It is in no way 'difficult' or 'challenging' to get obsidian, merely time consuming. Some people like that, others, like myself, would rather spend what limited gaming time they have doing more 'cool' things.
I'd also suggest that the issue of 'balance' is essentially irrelevant in SSP. You have the ability (if not the willpower, lol) to make the game as challenging as you like. The only reasonable discussion of balance is around SMP, and I believe that's a decision to be made by the server admins.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'll take this ... late opoturnity to mention that you can research everything before even building the crucible.

I did that![DOUBLEPOST=1364517267][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't necessarily disagree, but, to be fair, 'equivalency' is a matter of opinion, isn't it? Two pieces of wood=obsidian?

Absent other mods, obsidian is all but worthless. Charging two logs is probably overcharging.

But then EE3 goes on to convert four obsidian (so, 8 wood) to iron. That's a huge tremendous step up, even in vanilla.

Reactions: Whovian

whyistheskyblue

Jul 29, 2019
you keep saying its op but with all these mods you NEED these resources. i go through a stack of diamonds in a few days. it may be OP but it is the only way to get the ammount you need without spending a year gathering resources. true you can build like quarrys but even then it is not enough. think about how hard it is to get a gregtech advanced machine casing? and you need 34 of them to upgrade a blast furnace to highest level

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Have you considered that you're expanding faster than the authors intended and are intended to do a bit of mining. Of course not. EE3 is a zero effort methodology.
What the authors intend for you to do is of little consequence. They're not the one playing the game, you are. It is for you to decide how fast you advance.

Reactions: Whovian

whyistheskyblue

Jul 29, 2019
Have you considered that you're expanding faster than the authors intended and are intended to do a bit of mining. Of course not. EE3 is a zero effort methodology.
i dont even use EE3 for anything other than diamonds to iron.[DOUBLEPOST=1364581603][/DOUBLEPOST]
do you have any diea the ammount of iron i burn through using gregtech just to get some more basic stuff.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
i dont even use EE3 for anything other than diamonds to iron.

Which is why IC2 should return to industrial diamonds created from coal that are not usable in other mods.

do you have any diea the ammount of iron i burn through using gregtech just to get some more basic stuff.

Yes. The best source of iron is pyrite, if you find the right vein you can get several stacks in a few minutes. Also, of course, you can triple iron ore with the blast furnace.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why IC2 should return to industrial diamonds created from coal that are not usable in other mods.

I dunno man. I think it's telling that we're all starting to talk about ore tripling like it's not only acceptable but inevitable. In my DW20 game I too experienced obscene iron consumption; many projects took 7-8 stacks.

whyistheskyblue

Jul 29, 2019

Yes. The best source of iron is pyrite, if you find the right vein you can get several stacks in a few minutes. Also, of course, you can triple iron ore with the blast furnace.
i know i play on a server with world boundries and we have pretty much completely mined out the nether. hence why i need to use this