Soul Shard mod and Equivelant exchange OP together?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Is Equivelant exchange OP when combined with the Soul Shards Mod?

• Total voters

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Anything that makes emeralds more accessible than, "Well technically they are in the game so.." is good in my book :)
Amen! I personally plan on kidnapping any villager who buys paper, sells diamonds, at least one wizard, a apiarist for proven frames and easy apiaries, as many MystCraft villagers, and holding them in what basically equates to a concentration camp where more villagers come in now and then but old ones get dumped into a dark nexus from Ars Magicka, so they can at least prove useful after killing them setting up a guest house for villagers I bring to my house. I mean, unless I can figure out how to get baby villagers to spawn. I guess I'll ask in the proper thread.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Do I find the mod combination OP? No. I find it convenient and moves my game along faster.

But to be honest that's not the question; the question is do you find it OP, OP?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Three options: Move and meet Saice, marry into his family, reincarnate into his family.

I'm already Married.

And I do play on a other servers from time to time. Currently that whim has me over at lumincraft. Sad thing is it always wants to crash when I'm up and can throw a few hours away (Midnight til 6am est) and when it does go down at these hours it is pretty much over for the night as none with the access to restart the server seems to be around unless I'm lucky.

But mindful I tend to be a hermit. A helpful hermit but still a hermit. I don't mind helping people and stuff but I'm not the sort to do stuff like co-base with others.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
back to OP.

EE I dislike I find it currently is a bit unbalanced with how quickly getting a stone is and how long it lasts. I'm not a huge fan was what it see as fair trade either. So for the most part beyond making grass I don't use it.

SS I am a little torn on this one. I do like it and it has a fairly decent pacing as is. But There are a few loop holes (repairing shards makes getting teir 5 silly easy) and when combined with other mods there are more issues. Some of these could be fixed. Not allowing it to be repaired would be a huge correction and turning down the spawner kill count might help a bit as some mobs are really easy to just tier up by running around looking for spawners. Not so much stand alone but with stuff like Thuam and TF which add a bunch of more spawners in the world it gets easier.

Over all. Dislike EE and I like SS as long as some of the more exploitive options are not used. But yes together you can make some vary OP systems.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
My biggest problem is not what the OP mentioned but thaumcraft mixed with EE3 is broken. Blaze powder in desert? ender pearls for a few iron? You can basically get to the end in literally an hour. Granted you would die but it shouldnt be THAT easy...

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I can't help but feel that "OP" has become a buzzword. What is that term even supposed to mean nowadays?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I can't help but feel that "OP" has become a buzzword. What is that term even supposed to mean nowadays?

OP is sort of a catch all for unbalanced. When someone say something is overpowered (OP) they mean that they feel that is it too good at what it does.

So yeah I think people use it correctly. But the real issue is different people have different points of view on what is to good or not good enough.

One person might rage out if it takes them more then an hour to get all their swag maxed out. While another might see a week to build something as perfectly fine pacing. And this is what causes these debates over option and point of view.

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
I found a different "OP" set up with Soul Shards. I've currently got a tier 4 wither skeleton shard, and an iron golem guardian to kill them. I stand in a safe spot, golems pick up my items.. wither skellies don't seem to attack the little guys. So I then can farm Withers for nether stars quite easy.. and of all things, GREGTECH is the thing I pair with this, and basically get infinite EU by crafting a magic energy converter. Is it OP? Not really, but I was damn amused I managed to find something infinite with gregtech.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
if you want crazy resouce out of soulshards and EE take a look into enderpearls, once you've access to the end and have an enchanted soul stealer sword getting a tier 5 enderman shard is very easy, make a 40 block high drop tower and start collection pearls.

If my memories serve me right 16 ender pearls turn into 2 diamonds

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
if you believe it's OP, don't use it. Don't try and get it changed for those who don't believe it's OP.

Mods are explicitely rejected for the mod pack if they are "unbalanced", so I find it perfectly legitimate to discuss changes in mods. Asking for (not: demanding) changes is also not forbidden...

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Part of the problem is the mod author for soul shards is afk right now... So I doubt it will be in the new mod packs when the update rolls out. Heres hoping he comes back but yeah... might want to prepare for life without soulshards.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Mods are explicitely rejected for the mod pack if they are "unbalanced", so I find it perfectly legitimate to discuss changes in mods. Asking for (not: demanding) changes is also not forbidden...

Changes in mods, though, should be discussed on the forums associated with said mods.

That aside, it is already well know that EE3 changes the balance of the game in regards to resource scarcity. It's a design choice in regards to having that mod, and one that you can live without by removing it from your pack.

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
Changes in mods, though, should be discussed on the forums associated with said mods.

No, as long as it's discussed in regards to the mod pack in general (as is the case here), it belongs in this forum. Also, the discussion could as well be about whether a mod should be included in the pack, rejected for the pack or banned from the pack. People will have different opinions about that, and that's why we have a "discussion forum" - not to tell people that they "can't" even discuss it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
People will have different opinions about that, and that's why we have a "discussion forum" - not to tell people that they "can't" even discuss it.

Feel free to attempt the discussion, but it is not going to give any results. Good luck to you!

Reactions: Lambert2191

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
No, as long as it's discussed in regards to the mod pack in general (as is the case here), it belongs in this forum. Also, the discussion could as well be about whether a mod should be included in the pack, rejected for the pack or banned from the pack. People will have different opinions about that, and that's why we have a "discussion forum" - not to tell people that they "can't" even discuss it.

Excluding a mod or "Banning" it as you have suggested should never be allowed. As has been said many times peoples views on what is balanced and what isn't is different. That makes the entire subject of balance subjective. It is not universal in any way. Mod packs should be based around a theme or made to the digression of who the pack is for. It is up to the end user to choose the pack they see fit for how they want to play and adjust it as such. If in reference to a server the owners should make their own pack with configs as such rather than try to instruct people how to modify the established packs or use the established packs as they come.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I know a way to get unlimited diamonds via mining. Mining is OP.[DOUBLEPOST=1363812468][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, the discussion could as well be about whether a mod should be included in the pack, rejected for the pack or banned from the pack. People will have different opinions about that, and that's why we have a "discussion forum" - not to tell people that they "can't" even discuss it.

It would help if these opinions were informed or substantiated in any way. The opening post: "this seems weird and I do not like weird things." Like remember the time someone said, "EE3 lets you have a block of obsidian for 2 unplanked wood! Thats SO OP! You can go to the nether before you find diamonds!" And then we all groaned and clutched at our face and lamented the fact that humanity is doomed for reasons outlined in Idiocracy?

Reactions: YX33A and Hoff

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Infinite diamonds from cobblestone? Cobblestone is OP. I have suggested the nerf of cobble, and replace it with more ores :p

Also, to interpret Kirin's post for those who are actually idiots, there are multiple ways to get to the nether without a single diamond. And one two of them are vanilla-only.