Soul Shard Farms - What to do with the junk?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
The Bows from skeletons are pretty crappy, but I wonder if there's anything better to do with them than recycle them.

Currently, I've just got the damaged armor all pooling into a set of diamond chests - and I don't know what to do with them.

Seems like such a waste, all this gold (And chainmail!) armor just sitting in a chest, too damaged to really be useful.

Qway

Jul 29, 2019
repair it and then use the Uncrafting Table from the Twilight Forest ;) This should give you some gold...

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
If you did not go to twilight you can also get the bold back trough redpower alloy furnace (just the repaired armor). For arrow I don't think you can do much with it apart from recycling/throwing it.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Set up a golem turtle to repair the stuff once at full health send the armor along to a RP alloy furnace and smelt the armor back into ingots or macerate/pulverise to dust and smelt to ingots.
The bows you also repair and send to set up crafting deployers, those are in turn used for railcrafter loaders/unloaders which you use to build a railway handling the bows and armor from the mob trap and send them along to the differetn turtle stations

Jul 29, 2019
I just have a turtle constantly combining 2 armour pieces together, without sending it to an alloy cuz i'm too bad a lua to do that! :p

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
Set up a golem turtle to repair the stuff once at full health send the armor along to a RP alloy furnace and smelt the armor back into ingots or macerate/pulverise to dust and smelt to ingots.
The bows you also repair and send to set up crafting deployers, those are in turn used for railcrafter loaders/unloaders which you use to build a railway handling the bows and armor from the mob trap and send them along to the differetn turtle stations

while true do
turtle.suck()
turtle.craft()
end

This ends up filling my inventory with the helmets, doing nothing. Even turtle.suck(2) then turtle.drop() ends up with one or two fully repaired items, breaking the cycle. Is there a known better method to using the turtle? I made a crafty one, tried this.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
You have access tu functions like turtle.compare, as well as the interactive sorter to be creative about how you repair and detect items.

Computercraft is not all about 4 lines programs, you can definitely work this out, but it will take a bit more work.

For your second problem, here is a little tip:
If you are certain that the two items should be able to merge (repair), then when turtle.craft returns false, you know that the item is fully repaired.

Reactions: Jacobbelveder

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Uncrafting table all the stuff you can and void the rest like the arrows and the bones I wish you could uncraft the arrows for the flint for ITNT but as far as I can tell you cant.

I was wondering about why I have never seen an armored mob spawn from the soul shard and I just realized that it was probably because my server is running on easy lmao such a waste of time that I could have been getting more ingots from the armor.

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm. So I'm thinking,

Code:
while true do
    turtle.suck(2) //Retrieve items from initial chest.
    turtle.select(1) // Make sure we're selecting the first item.
    turtle.compareTo(2) // Unless my chest is fubar, the only difference should be damage value.

That's about as far as I can get, I don't know how to do an if then there.

I figure, if the items are different then craft and place the resulting item back into the original box, and whenever a craft returns false - deposit all items into a separate chest and loop.

I just don't know how to do that.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Since this is a thread about soul shards does anyone know why armored mobs only spawn from a soulshard in normal difficulty?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
It's fairly tricky. If the turtle is picking up various kinds of damaged weapons and armour, then it needs to store them away until it gets another of the same type. So it gets a damaged gold helmet, how does it go about retrieving another damaged helmet from where it stores them? I suppose it could have two chests which it moves items from one to the other, and when it gets one that matches what it already has, then it merges them. But what if it gets two items at the same time? Lets say, it gets a rotten flesh and a gold helmet. How does it know which one is repairable? It has to get rid of the second while it checks the first, then it has to check the second one. So you need three chests, one to buffer the incoming items, and one to pass items back and forth between comparing.

I suppose you could pass the items through a sorting system first, then your turtle could run along your line of chests crafting them together and throwing them back into the sorting input.

No, actually, it sounds to me like a Sortron is the answer to this problem!

I called my world "Turtlegrad" because I loved the idea of turtles, and expected that I would use turtles to solve most of my problems. Seems I need to rename it to "Sortronia".

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
I think the simplest route would be to have two chests and a turtle for each item.

One chest for the damaged goods, one turtle to sort the goods, and another chest for the final product.

We could pool all of the finished products into a single chest, but that wouldn't last long at all. I'm thinking barrels.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Actually you could simply sort all of the drops so that the turtle is only dealing with one item and the code would be as simple as this:
Code:
while true do
    turtle.select(1)
    for i = 1,2,1 do
        turtle.suck()
    end
    if turtle.craft() == false then
        turtle.turnLeft()
        for i = 1,2,1 do
            turtle.select(i)
            turtle.drop(1)
        end
        turtle.turnRight()
    else
        turtle.craft()
        turtle.select(1)
        turtle.turnLeft()
        turtle.drop(1)
        turtle.turnRight()
    end
end
In theory all you would do is have a second chest to its left that pumps the items back into the first chest this way the items are constantly being recycled until it is able to find two damaged pieces to repair.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Damaged items give full value in research or a cauldron. This is particularly useful for metal items, making thaumium or another ingot

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
Actually you could simply sort all of the drops so that the turtle is only dealing with one item and the code would be as simple as this:
Code:
while true do
    turtle.select(1)
    for i = 1,2,1 do
        turtle.suck()
    end
    if turtle.craft() == false then
        turtle.turnLeft()
        for i = 1,2,1 do
            turtle.select(i)
            turtle.drop(1)
        end
        turtle.turnRight()
    else
        turtle.craft()
        turtle.select(1)
        turtle.turnLeft()
        turtle.drop(1)
        turtle.turnRight()
    end
end
In theory all you would do is have a second chest to its left that pumps the items back into the first chest this way the items are constantly being recycled until it is able to find two damaged pieces to repair.
However, in practice, this results in the turtle infinitely crafting the items together resulting in just a single item. We need to compare items.

http://pastebin.com/PHUGnbnN
I attempted this, but I can't seem to close the While loop.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
However, in practice, this results in the turtle infinitely crafting the items together resulting in just a single item. We need to compare items.

http://pastebin.com/PHUGnbnN

I attempted this, but I can't seem to close the While loop.
Yes you are right I had never used the turtle.craft() before I had no idea that it simply combined the two pieces regardless of if it was damaged or not I thought it would simply return false.

I do not have time right this second to write the code for the correct way to compare the items but I do know that it involves:

sucking a complete item out of a chest
comparing the item to the item in the first slot of the turtle
placing the item back into the chest whether it returned true or false
crafting the two items together if it returned false and comparing it again until it returns true finally sending the completed item to where ever you want it to go

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
Yes you are right I had never used the turtle.craft() before I had no idea that it simply combined the two pieces regardless of if it was damaged or not I thought it would simply return false.

I do not have time right this second to write the code for the correct way to compare the items but I do know that it involves:

sucking a complete item out of a chest
comparing the item to the item in the first slot of the turtle
placing the item back into the chest whether it returned true or false
crafting the two items together if it returned false and comparing it again until it returns true finally sending the completed item to where ever you want it to go
That's actually what I'm trying to do in the paste I linked, but I can't close the first while loop. How do I close it?

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
That's actually what I'm trying to do in the paste I linked, but I can't close the first while loop. How do I close it?
Take the "end" out that is right before the else. The else is a part of the if then statement so you only need to put an end at the very end of the if then else to close it.

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this is unexpected.

Code:
while true do
    turtle.suck(1)
    turtle.suck(1)
    if turtle.compareTo(9) == true then
   print("Items Match!")
        turtle.turnRight()
        turtle.drop()
        turtle.turnLeft()

else turtle.craft()
print("Items were different, merging.")
end
end
Seems that the compare always returns true, in this case. Its filling the second chest with damaged materials. I'm not sure what to do now.

I think if there's something that can compare via damage values, I'll just have the turtle craft two bows together every time and then have something suck out undamaged bows from the chest. There may be occasional loss, but that's much preferable to this huge backlog.