Sorting & Ore Processing

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
But, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Resources are basically near infinite, just means you'll have extras lying around for your next project, saving you a tiny bit of time for that future unknown project.

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I want to keep a certain amount of some items in the first place.. saving time for future projects ;).

Personally I like my stocks being a bit more precise, but if it's ok for you to overstock and thus have your recources bound to certain projects (e.g. with diamonds crafted into the exess advanced circuits you can't buid quarries), it's ok for me, too.:D

Everybody plays the game to his own pleasure.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That's why I want to keep a certain amount of some items in the first place.. saving time for future projects ;).

Personally I like my stocks being a bit more precise, but if it's ok for you to overstock and thus have your recources bound to certain projects (e.g. with diamonds crafted into the exess advanced circuits you can't buid quarries), it's ok for me, too.:D

Everybody plays the game to his own pleasure.
I can't do that, as my builds tend to take tons of resources. These resources often not thought of as your everyday resources (iron, gold, copper, tin, diamonds, etc). Typically things like Quarried Stone, Marble, and similar blocks are the ones I run out of. For instance, before Law destroyed StaffCraft, I decided to build a rail system that goes from each persons base, well, believe it or not, this required a lot of Quarried stone as that was my preferred material for the bridge, and I like things to look semi-realistic so I would build suspensions to the ground. This was 3 blocks thick, room for someone to walk on it to do maintenance, and the extra 2 for tracks. On top of that, tracks became very expensive. Unfortunately I could never complete the build; the server was killed by GregTech machines.

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
I've haven't gotten into AE very much yet but I thought I'd heard somewhere or had explained to me that you could set it up so that it would request and complete the craft before it requested again? Does that hold true for multi-part crafting?

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
When you actually request one circuit from the crafting core yourself, it crafts one assembly, sends it to the furnace and delivers the result.

The problem is not, that the system keeps crafting, but that it keeps requesting:
The export bus places item x in adjacent inventory until it's full (or turned off by a redstone signal).
The level emitter turns the redsone signal off if there is less than a specific amount of that item in the whole system (another difference to LP) and on if there are more.
Now if you fetch said four circuits from the system, the emitter switches state and the export bus starts exporting (and thus requesting) one circuit at a time (or stackwise, depending on config) until the level emitter again switches state back.
So every time the bus ticks, one advanced circuit assembly is crafted and sent to the furnace. Every time the emitter ticks, it check if now are enough circuits on stock (which are not, so the signal stays off).
This keeps repeating until the first four are cooked up.

I tested this with a rock crusher and obsidian gravel. I wanted 64 on stock so I set the level emitter to 64 and got about 10 stacks! The export bus stuffed the crusher with obsidian (9 stacks) and kept restocking it until 64 gravel were produced. After that, the crusher kept crushing the remaining 9 stacks already in it.

The way to avoid that problem is to have an export bus set to "craft" the item you want, and point it to an ME-chest, ME-Interface or a chest with a storage bus on it. Then point a level emitter at the bus and it will trigger the craft; and since an AE system will only send enough items to fulfill the craft, you end up getting exactly as many items as you need.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Factory Manager, while not as pretty as most of these systems, absolutely crushes every single one of these mods. The utility and flexibility isn't even close in terms of precision and speed. The server load is almost nothing even compared to TE3 itemducts.

SFM is a little complex to get into, but not much more so than LP. Once you climb the learning curve, you will never, ever go back to any other sorting or automation system. It is literally that good. The only drawbacks are the learning curve and asthetics. Even the learning curve is non-existant to people who have any experience with programming.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
For "sorting" I bypass most everything and save up for an AE chest + 64k storage module. The only exception is a few barrels to store common resources like cobble, dirt, sand, etc.
Once i have the chest and storage, ore processing is just a simple TE pulverizer and furnace. When im ready for automation - its just more of the same. pulverizer+furnace but with a precision export bus and normal import bus. if I need more processing capacity, its simple to add more pulverizer+furnace pairs.

As to keeping things in stock -- the only stuff ive had to keep in stock is simple materials like glass, or charcoal. never bothered to try keeping more complex items in stock and honestly, i dont see the point.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're that capable of programming, you could use computercraft and an ME bridge to ensure there's always an exact amount of materials in the system for what you need, taking up two block spaces. (Three if it requires a cable, unless it's against an existing cable.)

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
for pure storage/sorting AE is probably the most powerful although it lacks that visseral feel of items ziping all over the place through pipes. Depending on your modpack it can even be extreamly cheep. If you have the betterStorage mod you can get a positively massive amount of searchable storage with nothing more than the AE controller, an access terminal, a storage bus, and a stack of wood to make a big ass crate. well that and something to power the thing. I literaly made a bare bones storage AE system off maybe 20 quartz, some nether quartz, a couple dimonds a few gold, and half a stack of iron.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
For ore processing I've found best results after stocking a chest or two with my AE system and then using either Pulverizer/Redstone Furnace + Itemducts for TE or 2 Elite Factories + Logistical Transporters for Mek. Buses are expensive and their speed isn't needed.

I would love to have some elaborate sorting system, but there is basically no physical way I could store the amount of resources I create without AE.

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
The way to avoid that problem is to have an export bus set to "craft" the item you want, and point it to an ME-chest, ME-Interface or a chest with a storage bus on it. Then point a level emitter at the bus and it will trigger the craft; and since an AE system will only send enough items to fulfill the craft, you end up getting exactly as many items as you need.
This works as long as the recipe for making the desired items are insta-craft (eg. by the crafting core). As soon as there is time involved in the crafting process (cooking, macerating, extracting, filling up something), the export bus will run amok and do the crafting request again and agian and again.

Another thing you can't do properly with AE: Autocrafting redstone conduits. For this you need two redstones in machine A (magma crucible) and an empty conduit in machine B (liquid transposer). The only way I can imageine is having A stuffed with redstone and thus filling the tanks of both machines with liquid redstone rendering both useless for other liquids.

In LP you set up a crafting ppipe on B and a satlellite pipe on A, connect these and have the recipe in the crafting pipe send the redstones to the sattelite. This way you can hook up to four different crafting recipes on B, even with different lquids involved and still have both machines free for manual crafting. With a bit of piping and a chest you can expand the number of possible recipes even more.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Actually you can if you dedicate magma crucible + fluid transposer pairings for redstone, ender pearl and glowstone. Have AE point to the fluid transposer resposible for whatever fluid it handles, e.g. redstone energy conduits recipe is as an empty redstone energy conduit in, and filled redstone energy conduit out, pointing into the energized redstone fluid transposer.
I know it can be done since I had such a setup while I was playing smp Unleashed.
Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, that's what I said above. But this way you have to set up a combo of the two for each liquid plus another pair for manual processing. But that's not quite the same as sending all the needed materials to two machines and have them make the item. I want one pair of crucible+transposer for all liquids.

So still, if you want a great storage system, use AE (I myself do, I'm tired of thousands of chests), but if you want proper supply and precise crafting, LP does better. Best would be, if LP could access the crafting core from AE, but alas, this never will be available.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
In AE, you take 20 glass and the export bus keeps stuffing the furnace with sand until it cooked 20 glass. This way you get 20+64 new glass blocks (with a steam oven you even get extra nine! stacks of glass).

In AE you put an Interface on top of a furnace and importbus on the side. In the Interface you have an "sand-to-glass" pattern and when you request 20 glass it will sent 20 sand to the furnace. If you on a pulveriser has put an Interface with "Cobblestone-to-sand" then you dont even need to have sand in the system. You can go even further and not having cobblestone in the system and automatic create this from water and lava.

Nooska

Jul 29, 2019
You are talking about the downsides of the system you described you wanted. If you want to have 2 stacks of glass on hand, you just set the level emitter so it turns off when you have 64 (and a full furnace makes 128), or plus/minus 1, its not hard to do.
What you are describing is craft on demand, which you just use the interface for - it will craft it on demand, and the amount you wanted.
If you want spares, you can just request the amount extra and take what you need.

After having watched LP in direwolfs SSP, I'm even more put off them than I was before - they drop things (yes I saw somewhere that you can have a chest on the end) and its infinately slow unless you have all your storage almost right next to where you are.

Sure, it looks good having things zipping around, but you can accomplish the same tasks with ae, at a similar cost (different, but similar), at a faster speed, and equally reliable; so the statement that LP is better than AE at doing the stuff, is, in my opinion, wrong. (I won't outright say that AE is better than LP as tastes vary, but it is demonstrably not worse)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Which is why I take advantage of the ability to interlink AE and LP. LP can use AE as a storage system and also utilize it's MAC for crafting. AE runs all processing of ores and materials, while LP does the product on demand supply. Combined with a request pipe on an Ender Chest, I can have access to my entire AE network anywhere I am.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why I take advantage of the ability to interlink AE and LP. LP can use AE as a storage system and also utilize it's MAC for crafting. AE runs all processing of ores and materials, while LP does the product on demand supply. Combined with a request pipe on an Ender Chest, I can have access to my entire AE network anywhere I am.

I havent been playing with LP but the idea with Ender Chest and Request Pipe sounds interesting - it can also save me for a lot of cables in my base (its 182x82 wide) but how do you connect the things?

Nooska

Jul 29, 2019
A Hungrychest from Thaumcraft will be a good idea there
No need according to what I've read/heard/seen (can't remember which), a vanilla chest on the end of a request pipe should work, but it just becomes that much more complex, as oppposed to an access terminal.