Sorting & Ore Processing

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Factory Manager, while not as pretty as most of these systems, absolutely crushes every single one of these mods. The utility and flexibility isn't even close in terms of precision and speed. The server load is almost nothing even compared to TE3 itemducts.

Watching the video on it right now, I can tell you very specifically why that is, in terms of server load. It is because SFM moves almost all of the work involved, from the computer to the user. That is not intended as a criticism; simplicity in almost every case is defined by how much you're willing to do manually, and from that point of view, this is great. SFM is essentially Pfaeff's Allocator on acid. ;)

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
You're talking about on-demand cooking of the sand to make glass, and yes that works fine. But if I need glass for another more complex recipe and I don't want to wait for the glass to cook at that time, I would instead set up a way to keep X number of glass in stock at all times.
This is where you run into problems of overcrafting. If you have an emitter set to "emit redstone signal whenver there is less than 64 glass in the network" pointed at an export bus attached to a furnace, then you request the MAC craft something that uses all of your glass, the emitter will let your furnace fill will sand and won't turn off the export bus until that furnace has ejected 64 glass into your network. BUT, your furnace still has 64 sand in it and will continue to cook that until empty.

Of course there are some ways to mitigate this... such as having your emitter turn off the furnace so it stops cooking, but then your furnace has a stack of uncooked sand in it. That's a small concern when it's sand, but it's a bigger concern when your furnace ends up being full of Advanced Processors made with a diamond and silicon each :D

Yeah, when you start getting to the point of automation in AE where you're telling the system to keep certain amounts of items on hand at all times, it's usually a good call to keep all of the stock autocrafting on separate machines than your on-request autocrafting.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
We may have different definitions of overflow. For me overflow is when there isn't room. What I'm talking about is the designed working of the pipe (or so it seems in DWs SSP, granted that may not be the best setup, but has put me off it).
It's deliberate overflow - by not connecting any machines to that pipe, all of the 0 connected slots are full, so items fall out.

But if I was to use an inventory, why not just walk over to each inventory and get stuff? (yeah, I know, mass storage is convenient, that wasn't a real question)
LP is not designed to be the best possible storage solution - it's designed to be a few steps up from manually looking in chests.

As is, I could see myself using LP for some processing or sorting (from input to storage), but I'm still pretty sure I dislike it for actual access - well lets see if I get to it. The most offputting thing is (percieved) cost of getting it set up and working (in a useful setup that makes it more rational than doing it manually), especially in the context of needing other pipes (speed) too.
I can easily see why you wouldn't like LP if AE is your standard of "normal" storage access.

Nooska

Jul 29, 2019
My standard for "noaml" storage is barrels and chests and manual sorting.

If LP is designed for being a few steps up from manially looking in chests (the place I am currently with my current SSP world), then its too expensive. I need to hho it into power and I need to spend quite a few diamonds and other resources to get it up and running at a basic level.
At the cost, I could invest in an AE basic system (controller, diskdrive, access panel), the power reqruied is the same (it s not a matter of upkeep but plugging it in (having the power is the requirement, not the specific production).

I guess what I'm saying, is that LP doesn't offer me any advantages that should make me want to use it - which isn't necessarily a problem (2 mods doing task A, one is know, the other isn't, you will usually stick with the known one).

You're talking about on-demand cooking of the sand to make glass, and yes that works fine. But if I need glass for another more complex recipe and I don't want to wait for the glass to cook at that time, I would instead set up a way to keep X number of glass in stock at all times.
This is where you run into problems of overcrafting. If you have an emitter set to "emit redstone signal whenver there is less than 64 glass in the network" pointed at an export bus attached to a furnace, then you request the MAC craft something that uses all of your glass, the emitter will let your furnace fill will sand and won't turn off the export bus until that furnace has ejected 64 glass into your network. BUT, your furnace still has 64 sand in it and will continue to cook that until empty.

Of course there are some ways to mitigate this... such as having your emitter turn off the furnace so it stops cooking, but then your furnace has a stack of uncooked sand in it. That's a small concern when it's sand, but it's a bigger concern when your furnace ends up being full of Advanced Processors made with a diamond and silicon each :D
The easiest is to subtract 64 from the amount you want on hand in the level emitter (taht does play wonky things if you want less than a stack, but in that case its easier to just do requests when yu use it)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I like LP in combination with AE and Ender Storage. In 1.5.2 Unleashed, I had a setup where I can use the remote orderer from LP to requisite items from my AE network and send stuffs from AE into an Ender Chest via LP's pipes.

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
We're all comparing apples with peaches here.
AE is a storage system with logisitcs capabilities and LP is a logistics system with storing capabilities.
If you want to keep things tidied up and have fast easy access, use AE. If you want things sent around automatically and have items/liquids delivered in the right amount to the right place, use LP. If you want both, use both. Simple as that.

@KingTriaxx: What did u use? The only pipe I know of that does active requests is the supplier pipe (and its fluid pendant ofc.) and it stops requesting as soon as all is stored in the adjacent inv, that should be. Oh, yes and the extractor pipes. But they do only request a target inv, if there's something to extract and they reduce frequency if there's no valid target.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
My standard for "noaml" storage is barrels and chests and manual sorting.

If LP is designed for being a few steps up from manially looking in chests (the place I am currently with my current SSP world), then its too expensive. I need to hho it into power and I need to spend quite a few diamonds and other resources to get it up and running at a basic level.
At the cost, I could invest in an AE basic system (controller, diskdrive, access panel), the power reqruied is the same (it s not a matter of upkeep but plugging it in (having the power is the requirement, not the specific production).

True. Last time I actually started with LP, it didn't need power. That was probably in 1.2.5.