So... What is the difference between this and technic/tekkit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qazerowl

Jul 29, 2019
I, like almost everybody else here, started out playing tekkit. I recently tried out FTB, because of all of the hype, and was... disappointed. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I sure wasn't expecting more technic pack! I've looked over the mod lists a few times and have been keeping up with the progress of the modpacks, and I can't tell the difference. All of the major mods are the same, and while FTB has a few more mods that add content, Tekkit has a few more mods that expand the major mods. All-in-all, they seem to be about the same.

I will say that (as far as the launcher/etc. goes) FTB feels cleaner. But to me, this is overpowered by Tekkit's already large user base. So here is where a bit of attitude comes in: None of you really care about that though. I've read a few dozen threads here, and other places that discuss FTB, and I have come to a conclusion: none of you care at all about the content of the pack. If buildcraft was missing, or industrialcraft, you would still adore this modpack over tekkit. Why? Because Technic doesn't get specific permissions from modders. As far as I am able to tell, this is the entire basis of FTB.

Feed the Beast is nothing but tekkit with permission from the modders. It is very obvious that it is based off of Tekkit, and little was changed. So I ask you: am I right? Can any of you explain to me a major difference between this and Technic/Tekkit?

Because if I (as an average minecraft player) am going to decide what modpack I want to play, I really don't care about permissions. I honestly don't care if Alblaka doesn't want IC in tekkit: if you don't want that to happen, don't release your mods. Seriously: "Yea, you can download this song all you want, you just can't download it with other songs." And besides my personal feelings, many minecrafters don't even know about the permissions thing: how would you convince them to switch?

The_Paragon

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. If you prefer Tekkit so much, go play that instead. Nobody is forcing you to play Feed The Beast.

As for the "new content" thing you're talking about: you're aware you're comparing a 1.2.5 modpack to a 1.4.X modpack, right? And you're aware that not all mods are updated to 1.4.X, right? And even if they were all updated, what would you expect? Would Feed The Beast magically have different "content" simply because the mods it includes are in a different pack? If it uses the same mods, it will have the same content.

As for the permissions thing you're talking about: It's great to see that you don't care about permissions! I'll be borrowing some money from you later.

Reactions: shockwave95

Qazerowl

Jul 29, 2019
The point is: "why make FTB?"

I'm not an idiot, I know that FTB isn't fully implemented and tekkit is still in 1.2.5: I am basing those comparisons off of the mod lists.

And as for the last bit: you must be one of *those* people... But really, modders aren't losing anything by having their mod downloaded alongside other mods. (Which is a whole different story when compared to "borrowing" money...)

The_Paragon

Jul 29, 2019
Why make FTB? Okay, why make a modpack at all? Why eat popcorn? I seem to be missing your point.

I don't really want to get into this whole permissions debate with somebody who has already made up their mind about it. But yeah, I'm "one of those people". I don't buy the "no harm, no foul" logic, because it's not even about that. It's not a question of "loss" or "profit" or any other one of those red herrings. It's simple respect. The modders work hard to produce a mod, and if you respect their work you should ask to use it, ESPECIALLY if you're planning on using it to produce a derivative work such as a modpack. Think of it in terms of songs, since you seemed to like that analogy before. You're an artist, you produced a song. Somebody up and says, "Hey! I like this song, it goes real well with X other songs, I'm going to make an album of all these songs!" This person goes on to produce and release an album comprised of other artists' songs. Would you not, as the artist, prefer that the maker of said album ask your permission to put the song in the album? If your answer is no, there's no reason to continue this debate further.

Reactions: Eskii and SunVenus

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
A major difference is the makers of this pack are in a lot of cases talking to the authors of the mods in the pack on a daily basis how can this not be an advantage to the enduser in the way of squashed bugs and implemented features?

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh another one of these threads eh? Well basically before anyone says anything stupider then what has already been said I will say this.

FTB is a modpack. The feed the beast mod pack has a installer that installs a pack of mods (Thus the title, "Feed the Beast Mod Pack"). If you do not like these mods installed then make a custom mod pack yourself. Basically use the FTB mod pack and take advantage of the hard work of the mod authors and the mod pack devs, or use a different mod pack and take advantage of the mods in that pack and the work that those mod pack devs put into it. Either way you are using something that you didn't create, either your opinions (Whines, complaints, and other forms of back talk/slander) don't carry to much weight.

So just in case you didn't read the entire post heres the short version. You got 3 options right now (As far as minecraft mod packs).
1. The FTB mod pack and the mods it contains,
2. Tekkit/technic and the mods it contains,
3. Go download all the mods and make a mod pack for yourself,

3 Choices, pick one.

Wolostani

Jul 29, 2019
When I first heard of Tekkit/Technic I always thought of it to be the "Direwolf20 modpack" with a few extras. It got the job done if you couldn't get all the mods downloaded manually yourself so you can play with all the mods he did easily. It didn't do it in the most morally "correct" way, but that doesn't really bother me either, although I'd still prefer to use the modpack that has permission to compile the mods into the modpack.

To be honest, the Technic pack and FTB are very similar if not approaching identical but offering very different experiences. It'll always come to a matter of opinion but I feel that eventually, most people will make the switch to FTB if Technic doesn't get it back into gear and provide some sort of better feature or service.

I feel the biggest thing for me is the ability to customize the mods in an easier way than Technic offers, if you can really call it offering. I did play Technic a little bit until I decided to install the mods I wanted manually. The biggest turn-offs I can remember from Technic was being Mo'Creatures and MatMos, I don't like either of those mods (They're good mods, but not for me :p). While I had the ability to turn off all the Mo'Creatures mobs, I don't remember there being an "Turn off the wind sounds" and I definitely didn't want to mute the game completely. Even when I tried to rectify the problem and remove the mods out of the launcher so it wouldn't update them back into the game, or even just lift the install of the Technic pack and put it into a regular Minecraft setting (Copy pasted it over into my regular Minecraft install after removing the mods from the jar and etc.) it just made a mess and took longer than it should be to remove the annoyances. FTB corrects that issue in that I can take out what I want and choose what I want to be in my game. I haven't tested it extensively to see how well it actually works, but I've removed ExtremeBiomesXL from my game and it worked well and didn't present any immediate conflicts. Just being able to Disable/Enable and Add/Remove mods from the pack is reason enough for me to use FTB over Technic.

As to your last paragraph that's where I'd say the biggest community rift is. I don't know if your only modding experience comes from this game or when you even got into the modding games, but there was always the unspoken rule in every modding community that you only took with permission and if you didn't get permission, you had to solve it yourself. If you couldn't get it from the author, you just made it similar from the ground up to where you needed it. Maybe I just made up all that in my head and really no one cares but even then you're taking someones work, without permission, and that's work that they spent hours upon hours making and refining to be as enjoyable to their community as they can possibly make it. As to counter your metaphor, or to express my opinion better, "You can download this song, you can download other songs [from different authors], but you can't put both of those songs in the same album and then put that album out without any of the authors permission."

I don't really think any convincing needs to be expressed. I'd imagine a great portion of Minecrafters watch the people of MindCrack, Direwolf, and many other youtubers would switch just because they're using or representing it. At this point in my head it's the same as consoles, no matter what you choose someone is going to have a problem, but use what you want you don't need to use FTB, you don't need to use Technic. I'd say the ability to customize FTB and not being able to customize Technic (in a clean way) is the only reason to choose between the two. On the main website for Tekkit/Technic it says: "There are a lot of awesome things stirring up for Tekkit ..." so depending on the scale of that is when the community will really decide.

I feel that I've sort of hanged on the topic of customization a bit too much, but in a game like Minecraft with no set objectives or goals to complete, how YOU play the game is most important not how someone else does. I don't want to play how Technic has it set up so I have to deal with it and find an alternative means.

I've also tried to write this in a way different than some of the other people who've commented and just dismissed your question or point-of-view. It's very easy to dismiss this sort of post, but at the same time it's a very good topic and should be at least presented to people wanting to choose between the two modpacks. It's also hard to make judgements when one modpack is in beta and another that is in it's released form. At the very least this could be some sort of "boom", as stupid as it sounds, it will go well for either pack to have competition. Without competition there's no reason to strive to update, and so hopefully this will end up good for at least one of the modpacks

1.2.5 is only the recommended version of Technic. You can choose to update to 1.4.2 and have nearly the same experience as FTB. We shouldn't dismiss something because it's not recommended.

TL;DR: FTB is supported by the mod authors, very easy to customize, on top of being the "hot new thing". Technic as it stands right now, is the old model that everyone knows and understands and isn't very interesting compared to the newer choice. Minecraft is a game that you make your own, play how you want not how others perceive is right.

P.S: I wrote this while being awake for like 30+hours straight so I may have made a bunch of mistakes in grammar & spelling

Graphiso

Jul 29, 2019
Wohoo my turn :)

The question is legit, I always played Tekkit, then by accident I saw FTB and I wanted to know what the real difference was. So a thread explaining the current difference wouldnt be to bad for the people who would perhaps like to switch (as I did 2 days ago). But to say bad things about a mod pack like this...nah, its NOT the same as tekkit and even if it was the same with just a few other thingies COMPETITION is great :) For games especially.

But what I do not understand from most people who commented is why do you not sum up the differences between Tekkit and FTB? It might be me but here it comes:

Correct me if I am wrong
  • Tekkit does not have Twilight forest?
  • Tekkit is for minecraft 1.2.5 ( http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit-3-1-3-released-tekkit-3-is-now-finalized/ : "Tekkit 3.1.3 is still Minecraft 1.2.5! This version is basically finalizing our 1.2.5 builds so we can completely focus on the next version of Tekkit.")
  • So you get all the extra's from minecraft and not limited to 1.2.5.
  • Extra BiomesXL Not in tekkit
  • Secret rooms NNot in tekkit
  • Greg's lighting Not in tekkit
  • And isnt FTB running BC3? Compared to Tekkit Running BC 2?
  • Mystcraft Not in tekkit
  • Portal Gun (hehe soo cool) Not in tekkit
  • And OFC my favorite -> Forestry -> Not in tekkit
And there is probably a lot more, install the launcher and see for yourself (im new to this modpack so I dont know everything)
So these are some differences, or am I wrong?
My opinion so far: I like Feed the beast, it has new stuff in it and I havent really found anything missing compared to Tekkit yet.
Just my 2 cents.

PS: Please dont say: "yea but you can install those mods and then Tekkit is the same"Or vice versa cause we are talking about the current mod pack contents :)

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Good post Wolostani, somewhat lengthy but very good still. I like how you went about explaining your views but I feel that My post of "3 choices make one" says just about the same thing yours does. . Even though your post contains very sounds arguments and is well constructed people are going to have there point of view no matter what, and if there that kind of a person then they will find some way to argue about how your reasoning is faulty and the world is out to get them and nothing is ever good enough for there perfection. And no matter what way you look at it there is really only 3 choices and we individually are left to make that decision.

Edit: I think the reason why I didnt go into explaining the differences is because its not hard to download the FTB pack and open it for 10 mins and see, Oh it has portal gun thats cool, Oh it has forestry neat, Oh it has gregs tech I hate that mod. Whatever your views may be its not hard to see the differences without having someone spoon feed it to you.

Wolostani

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't even see if Tekkit was in 1.2.5 since I just disregarded the multiplayer :p only checked Technic, beat me there.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB pack was created primarily for the FTB map. That's it. The FTB launcher was created to give a platform for various modpacks to launch on with a bit different vetting process and a more customizable experience.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB pack was created primarily for the FTB map. That's it. The FTB launcher was created to give a platform for various modpacks to launch on with a bit different vetting process and a more customizable experience.

This is not true, They wanted to created a pack to make it easy for people to use the maps, but it is not designed just for the maps. Originally it was just for the FTB maps but it has now blossomed into a mod pack that stands on its own. This mod pack will act as a platform to build new FTB maps yes, but it is intended for much more then just that.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
First, a quick note about what Graphiso said at the end about "yea but you can install those mods and then tekkit is the same"...not only should they not say that, but it is completely false. Several mods in FTB are just straight up not compatible with tekkit. Forestry and Mystcraft are 2 that come to mind. There are topics all over the tekkit boards of people trying and failing to get those 2 to work. So we don't just have those mods up on them out of convenience, but they are something that tekkit can not have until they make some serious changes to fix these problems, including updating to the latest version of MC...something they are incredibly slow at.

OP: You would have gotten much better results if you hadn't gone so into the permissions mess. It's a touchy subject for many people. Opinions are unlikely to change, so it's best to completely ignore it, or if it must be brought up, state your opinion and move on. This is what I will try to do.

So, personally, I find that Tekkit is in the wrong about what they did, and I feel both sides in some cases took things too far. As such, I don't feel the absolute hatred towards Tekkit is quite justified, but a dislike is understandable.

Moving on to some of what I think the core of your post was about. What is the purpose of FTB, and why should anyone choose it when ignoring the permissions issue.

I'll start with the purpose of FTB.

No, the purpose of FTB was not to copy and replace Tekkit. If you actually investigate "Feed the Beast", you will find it originated as a map built around a large number of major mods, supported ( and even frequently played by ) the devs. These maps involved giving a player an absolute minimum of resources, they then had to build a series of items to "Feed the Beast". They would be rewarded new items that would allow advancement, and make things easier. The player would win after feeding the beast ( which was inside "The Monument") every item required. The modpack and associated launcher were created to make using this map far easier. Until now, the barrier to entry was fairly high, requiring the player to track down all of the associated mods, and properly replacing all of the configs. Because the FTB devs often worked directly with the devs in the past, and considering the massive backlash against Tekkit, they made certain to get full permissions for any mod that is in the pack.

Another advantage, as mentioned, is FTB is fairly up to date, ( very for a modpack ) Tekkit remains extremely far behind, and they have even mentioned they are looking to have to make extremely drastic changes to their system for future updates. Just to give you an idea how far behind Tekkit is, they currently run Forge 164 and Forge is getting ready to hit 400. Not sure off hand what build FTB is on, but its in the late 300s.

Next, as mentioned before, the devs for FTB have worked very closely with the various modders, and they continue to do so. They have been able to get the modders themselves to help them out, and have made significant improvements thanks to this, and things move much faster.

Getting into the actual gameplay of tekkit vs FTB, you still can see significant differences. However, this will depend more on your play style. The core mods of tekkit are RP2, IC2, BC2, EE2, Railcraft, ComputerCraft. For FTB, we have IC2, BC3, ComputerCraft, Railcraft, waiting on RP2 and EE3...but then we also have Gregtech, Factorization, Thermal Expansion, Mystcraft, Forestry and waiting on Thaumcraft3 and Xycraft. There are also numerous other mods that tend to be smaller, though can still have a fairly big impact, such as steves carts. However, I wanted to focus on those major mods. Those are the ones that give it the feel, and you will immediately notice we have a lot more choice. That last word is where I think you had an issue and things felt so similar. You probably fell into your old haunts of IC2 and BC2.

If you were to hit the very end-game, you would find the madness of gregtech. Factorization and Thermal expansion are similar to IC2, but perform differently, and quite nicely. Forestry is a completely different beast. Mystcraft is simple, yet fantastic. Being able to create your own worlds is just amazing.

Then theres Thaumcraft and Xycraft. Those 2 are both shaping up to extremely different from anything you see in Tekkit or current FTB, and will add a huge amount to the pack.

EE3 is a long ways off from being the full mod, but I think with EE being such a core of Tekkit, they will probably stick with it.

But wait, there's more!

Again, as touched on before, FTB is easily customizable, and getting better all the time. The system to enable and disable mods makes things far simpler. Servers don't have to stick completely stock, as it's not nearly as difficult to change a mod or 2.

Now, the only thing Tekkit really has going for it ( or than the temporary lack of EE and RP from FTB ), is the install base. However, FTB is coming up fast, and probably going to eclipse tekkit here pretty quick. While Tekkit has a ton of servers already going, time and again I see posts on these forums from people running Tekkit servers that are not running FTB servers. Remember, no matter what you personally might think about the permissions issues, you can not argue that there is a very large number of people against Tekkit because of that. So Tekkit can not get those people to come over. However, Tekkit users have no problems with FTB, and so they can trickle over. Thus, Tekkit has no real room to grow, while the sky is the limit for FTB. It's only a matter of time ( if it hasn't happened already ) until FTB servers and users surpass Tekkit.

Cheers!

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
The part you said about there being a ton of tekkit servers is very true, however I know of a good handful of some very popular tekkit servers that are highly considering switching to the FTB pack once its out of beta because of pretty much all the points already stated in this article. So not only will we see FTB dedicated servers, we might also see some of the tekkit servers switch to FTB. Which in my opinion is very cool.

krizmac

Jul 29, 2019
Feed the Beast is nothing but tekkit with permission from the modders. It is very obvious that it is based off of Tekkit, and little was changed. So I ask you: am I right? Can any of you explain to me a major difference between this and Technic/Tekkit?

Because if I (as an average minecraft player) am going to decide what modpack I want to play, I really don't care about permissions. I honestly don't care if Alblaka doesn't want IC in tekkit: if you don't want that to happen, don't release your mods.

For the first point there, ANY modpack is a copy of Tekkit? They weren't the first ya know.

You can add whatever mods you want to add to your game, you aren't "stuck" with what is in a modpack. Forge let's you drop anything you want into your game.

Tekkit is a really good idea, don't get me wrong. It exposed a lot of people to a side of Minecraft that they never may have seen. I personally stumbled onto it by accident, and never looked back to Vanilla after that. It's just that Tekkit... well... they aren't as committed as the FTB crew it seems. This is why I am here on FTB, the community seems a hell of a lot better. Oh, and Equivalent Exchange sucks on servers :p (So glad EE3 fixes all that).

Status
Not open for further replies.