so the new 152 packs... I took RP2 for granted.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to disagree. Flax is much better. Natura three cotton = 1 string.

Flax you kick the plant and it rains string and seeds.

Ah, but cotton doesn't need to be replanted and grows faster. It also gives you a wool discount. I found myself producing more stuff faster.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Use quartz if you're desperate. Those tools are pretty good.

Once you get tinker's going, my very first tools are a flint pick+wood handle+stone binding pickaxe, and a similar shove. Flint has a speed of 5.5 and throwing a cobble binding on there makes it have Stonebound, so it gets faster. Combined with a flint shovel for fast digging, your initial mining will be flint-positive and keep you in the money for awhile.

Natura cotton is actually better.

May I suggest walking, but as for the doors things, that is a bug you should report.
to elaborate, logs do breakdown to planks, and planks to sticks. Just that you can't use that wood for steps and sticks don't burn. I would like to think the sticks would be useful regardless if they retain their natura color or not but whatever. Cotton is funny... sometimes it is white and usable and sometimes its pink and worthless. Whats up with that?

also tinker question... What part of the tool gives what abilities? what part gives durability?0 what is the handle? how do I get obby durability and iron base. Is it a mix, a taking of averages of the different materials used?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, but cotton doesn't need to be replanted and grows faster. It also gives you a wool discount. I found myself producing more stuff faster.

I still disagree here. I gave cotton a try on TS1 and after a week just gave up on it. I got better returns just hunting spiders while caving.

This Flax your going straight to a useable drop and it only takes a second to replant. a Small 9x9 field and you will have stacks of wool in a few days. Naturas Cotton on the other hand is slow to get spread as breaking the full grown plant does not always give you more then 1 seed. The cotton puff has no real use other then a stepping stone to string and wool and yeah 3 cotton 1 string or basically about 1 sting per plant per cycle vs 2-6ish string plus seeds per cycle with Flax.

I don't have empirical data to back it up. But Natura makes me feel like I'm grinding while Flax is something I would just do coming or going from my base and I would just have stacks of string and wool. Also RP2 have you a hand tool to turn wool back into string so I;d just have a auto table next to a barrel and just drop all the flax string in there and have to turn it all into wool.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
to elaborate, logs do breakdown to planks, and planks to sticks. Just that you can't use that wood for steps and sticks don't burn. I would like to think the sticks would be useful regardless if they retain their natura color or not but whatever.

This is definitely a bug.

Cotton is funny... sometimes it is white and usable and sometimes its pink and worthless. Whats up with that?

It matures after you pick it. Like berries.

also tinker question... What part of the tool gives what abilities? what part gives durability?0 what is the handle? how do I get obby durability and iron base. Is it a mix, a taking of averages of the different materials used?

For T1 tools, the "handle modifier" is what you're looking for in the book. It is multiplied with the head durability. You usually use wood to start because it's the cheapest material with 1x durability. Otherwise the tool head is usually what determines speed and whatnot. ANY part of the tool can give special modifiers, and many of those stack. For example, Flint Head + Stone Binding + wood handle gives stonebound because of the flint head. You could get stacked stonebound with a stone head, but it'd be a net loss because Flint's speed and durability base is higher.[DOUBLEPOST=1374521180][/DOUBLEPOST]
I still disagree here. I gave cotton a try on TS1 and after a week just gave up on it. I got better returns just hunting spiders while caving.

This Flax your going straight to a useable drop and it only takes a second to replant. a Small 9x9 field and you will have stacks of wool in a few days. Naturas Cotton on the other hand is slow to get spread as breaking the full grown plant does not always give you more then 1 seed. The cotton puff has no real use other then a stepping stone to string and wool and yeah 3 cotton 1 string or basically about 1 sting per plant per cycle vs 2-6ish string plus seeds per cycle with Flax.

I don't have empirical data to back it up. But Natura makes me feel like I'm grinding while Flax is something I would just do coming or going from my base and I would just have stacks of string and wool. Also RP2 have you a hand tool to turn wool back into string so I;d just have a auto table next to a barrel and just drop all the flax string in there and have to turn it all into wool.

Well part of the reason cotton is so awesome now is that it works with MFR without a planter. So the automation of cotton is very early game as opposed to Flax which was late game (I only ever got it to work with smart golems, which are by no means easy or early).

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Well part of the reason cotton is so awesome now is that it works with MFR without a planter. So the automation of cotton is very early game as opposed to Flax which was late game (I only ever got it to work with smart golems, which are by no means easy or early).

MFR is good yeah.

But no Flax is not late game. Automation might be mid to late game for some people. And it is only Late game if your plan is to wait to do Thaum. If Flax automation is one of your goals it is more Mid game to be honest I've done the tree thaum tree a few times now and Smart golems are not to hard to drill down to More so if your using a wiki. But Flax is vary much early game and really manual farming takes seconds to do it is not really that big of and issue early game.

Of course I'm also the sort that think early game and automation should not be in the same sentence much. But your not going to win me over on cotton it has a grind step in it that is fairly useless. When a dark room drop trap can net you more string then your farm there is something wrong there.

EDIT: Oh and i just have to add this. Normally for flax early game I just water farm it with a bucket or piston. After one or two cycles you will have more seeds then you could use. So trip the water let it flow into your automation and just replant. That is vary vary much early game right there.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Still gets me that there were a number of excellent mod alternatives and new mods posted in the suggest a mod topic, and they've all been ignored for the 1.5.2 packs. As much as I love FTB, custom mods packs are definitely the way forward (although not so easy to share :D)

Flax is a very easy plant to farm, and getting golems isn't that difficult (especially if you have IC2 rubber). Have actually been thinking of disabling the golems, as I don't need any more string/flax seeds.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
is the moss repair ability increase as you stack up the moss or does 64 pieces of moss do the same thing as 1 moss to a pick?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Still gets me that there were a number of excellent mod alternatives and new mods posted in the suggest a mod topic, and they've all been ignored for the 1.5.2 packs. As much as I love FTB, custom mods packs are definitely the way forward (although not so easy to share :D)
You can head over to the 3rd party mod pack forum and browse there. ATLauncher also has an innovative means of making and distributing mod packs without distributing the actual mods themselves, which makes it much easier to create a mod pack with mods that are difficult to obtain permissions for. It also has Delta updates (meaning it only updates the changes from the previous version of the mod pack rather than updating everything) and you can push a dev build to live quickly and easily.

For example, my mod pack has Microblocks, MFR, and AE. Which covers most of what RP2 offered us.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
is the moss repair ability increase as you stack up the moss or does 64 pieces of moss do the same thing as 1 moss to a pick?

it does stack, but theres no combination of materials that will let you put 64 modifiers on a tool

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You can head over to the 3rd party mod pack forum and browse there. ATLauncher also has an innovative means of making and distributing mod packs without distributing the actual mods themselves, which makes it much easier to create a mod pack with mods that are difficult to obtain permissions for. It also has Delta updates (meaning it only updates the changes from the previous version of the mod pack rather than updating everything) and you can push a dev build to live quickly and easily.

For example, my mod pack has Microblocks, MFR, and AE. Which covers most of what RP2 offered us.

Well, I could, but I've done my own (called Omega Dawn). Reminds me of my Morrowind days, installing mods yourself, testing they work, long before the era of "OMG, I can't do this, gimme a mod pack so I don't have to think"

Reactions: SpitefulFox

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well, I could, but I've done my own (called Omega Dawn). Reminds me of my Morrowind days, installing mods yourself, testing they work, long before the era of "OMG, I can't do this, gimme a mod pack so I don't have to think"
Well, you mentioned how difficult it was to share. If you can get permissions, use the FTB Launcher. Otherwise, you can use ATLauncher so the end-user just downloads the mod from the mod author's website/thread themselves.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Finding a obby head blue slime tool combo works well for about anything.
2 things now... fortune... can I get something with powers comparable to wonderboy (or for3 rather) or is it something less. Also. Checked the values for the weapons. If I'm right they suck. The most a tc built long sword will do is less than a diamond sword. Sharp it to the max and its the same as a diamond sword. That's kinda poo imo. Am I right or wrong with that?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Finding a obby head blue slime tool combo works well for about anything.
2 things now... fortune... can I get something with powers comparable to wonderboy (or for3 rather) or is it something less. Also. Checked the values for the weapons. If I'm right they suck. The most a tc built long sword will do is less than a diamond sword. Sharp it to the max and its the same as a diamond sword. That's kinda poo imo. Am I right or wrong with that?
You are wrong with that.

Basic Broadsword ends up at 4 with Mannylium. But sharp it up and it can easily breach 10 or more consistently. Use a paper binding and you can then throw on moss for auto-repair or, if it is available in your mod pack, electric. Then you can throw on the diamond + gold block for looting. Strictly superior to nano.

If you have to deal with crowds, it's hard to go wrong with a Scythe. It's not too hard to get scythe damage up over 5, which is really all you need. Then just pile on the effects like looting for massive returns.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
You are wrong with that.

Basic Broadsword ends up at 4 with Mannylium. But sharp it up and it can easily breach 10 or more consistently. Use a paper binding and you can then throw on moss for auto-repair or, if it is available in your mod pack, electric. Then you can throw on the diamond + gold block for looting. Strictly superior to nano.

If you have to deal with crowds, it's hard to go wrong with a Scythe. It's not too hard to get scythe damage up over 5, which is really all you need. Then just pile on the effects like looting for massive returns.

I really depends on the Modpack :p With Dartcraft you cant beat Looting IV. Also dont forget Netherrack for Mining-Tools and Cacti as a material for Weapons. If you wear a tool out and put electric on later you get really great returns (or simply carry a bit of netherrack with you for the repair).

Also Cotton vs. Flax is a simple problem. Flax grows really, really slow, so it is great for manual harvesting, and just pick it up after a mining-trip. Cotton also gives a really high return. But because it grows incredibly fast you almost have to stand next to it. If you automate the harvesting cotton is quite productive, but before it isnt that nice.

What I miss is basically microblocks and the compact wiring. I could simply lay the wire within my maintanance-tunnel and was done, because I can occupy the same block wire does, which is not possible with RedNet. But CB is doing Microblocks... and I'm pretty sure he will propably do wiring later too, since I guess he could reuse a lot of the stuff.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Well the in game book says anything obby and below does like 1 heart damage and the high end stuff does 2 or 3 hearts. With sharp max at 1.5. Is that per mineral used in making of the blade or something?

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
It does 2 Hearts damage, which is one less than diamond.

But Jagged, the modifier provided by Cacti increases the damage when the tool is more damaged. A single level of Sharpness adds 1,5 or 2 hearts, I think it is 1,5. So a normal sword can have 6,5 hearts of damage without having extra modifiers. A diamond sword with Sharpness 5 does 6 damage. So TC isnt that bad. And you can add 4 modifiers more. Which would increase the damage to a whooping 12,5 hearts.

Also weapons modify the basic materials, numbers.

Manyullyn is reported with 2 Hearts damage.

2 Hearts -> Mining-Tools (they normally dont show damage) have the reported 2 Hearts
2,5 Hearts -> Knife, Battlesign
3 Hearts -> Hammer, Rapier, Pan
4 Hearts -> Long-Sword, Broadsword, Battleaxe, Scythe, Cleaver

So making a weapon from a material increases the damage. And this bonus is independend from the material. So Slime is reported as having 0 damage. But a slime rapier will have 1 damage, because making a rapier gives 1 bonus-damage.

Also Thaumic seems to be a new material-modifier for thaumium-tools. It is however not fully implemented as it seems, but it seems to give modifiers, most likely at some cost :p

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well the in game book says anything obby and below does like 1 heart damage and the high end stuff does 2 or 3 hearts. With sharp max at 1.5. Is that per mineral used in making of the blade or something?
Yes, then you have the damage modifier of the weapon itself. Tools don't have a damage modifier. Neither do Rapiers, because they bypass armor. Broadswords and longswords, on the other hand, do.