So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
that isn`t an overflow protection that i`d use in limited space for early ore processing. and it`s more like a work around buildcraft`s pipe overflow issue, rather than a proper solution.

It's an unavoidable side effect of how items in Minecraft work. Either you have an infinite storage space (which you don't) or you have to decide what to do with excess incoming items (which is what this does) or you have to guarantee there won't ever be excess incoming items (which is kind of what RP2 does, and it has its own problems).

Fact: When you only have one machine you don't even need an insertion pipe. Just make the last pipe segment an iron pipe, pointed towards the machine. If items can't fit in the machine, they'll bounce instead of overflowing.

judging by screenshot provided by Poppycocks, mechanic similar to transfer node is what buildcraft is lacking at.
if chute could take items from inventories attached to it`s sides(which hopper doesnt do) then it would be a perfect solution to IC2`s problem, while being different from hopper.
The Buildcrafty ways to handle the problem are:
  • If you don't care about excess items (they're free to make, like the cobblestone in Poppycock's screenshot) then use an insertion pipe and void pipe - simple.
  • If you usually have enough capacity to process all the items, but there may be bursts (such as in ore processing) then use a buffer chest and insertion pipe loop (the old way), or a chest+hopper (the new way), or a chute (if you need the speed).
  • If you usually don't have enough capacity to process all the items and don't want to destroy them (maybe you have a UUM crafting table feeding a coke oven and don't want to waste UUM) then you can use gates to slow down the upstream process. (But notice how the other two scenarios do not require gates)
And keep in mind that most pipes do not require overflow protection. If I have a macerator feeding an electric furnace, the macerator produces 2 dusts in slightly more time than the furnace takes to smelt 1 dust.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I disagree with ya on this one. One of the reasons I'm so into Logistics Pipes is that I can cut down on cable clutter. As a base grows, managing all the various cable networks starts to get increasingly ridiculous.
I... don't understand that. Can you transport power over Logistics Pipes now?

Auto-ejector systems also cut down on tedious extra infrastructure (a cheap a-gate wooden pipe sounds great until you realize how limited it is)
It works for 60% of cases, where items can't overflow because of the speeds of the machines. (thinking of macerator -> furnace here which is what ejector upgrades seem to be designed for).

and allow you to stack single-purpose machines into a functional row; a multiblock factory.
My point is without ejector upgrades you can still do that, just with pipes in between.

Anyone who plays with Forestry will tell you: ways to reduce input sources are great. MineFactory Reloaded also has some pretty hairy blocks to pipe and plumb, and I for one don't really enjoy it.
Which ones? I didn't have any problems setting up an MFR biofuel factory with just BC pipes (and IC2 for power).

Another low profile solution that is absolutely brilliant and I cannot shut up about: Thaumic Tinkerer's Transvector Interface. This block, when placed near a target block and tapped in sequence with a tuning tool can act as a proxy block for the target. You can plug pipes, cables, wooden pipes, power, and more. It works with most everything I've tried, and lets you make very clean builds that are easy to manage.
That sounds very cool, even if you can do the same things without it.
I don't usually consider aesthetics like that when building a factory. If it's a factory, it should look like a factory, with pipes and wires going everywhere, but still well organised if you know how it works. Not like a bunch of machines just sitting there lined up against a wall - that's for manually operated workshops.

So I think you're right on one front: there are better solutions than auto eject. A cheaper Agate+Wooden Pipe is definitely not it. I want to see every mod start doing block proxying! It is the new ore doubling! :D
Lol. It's the new multiblock structures though. Multiblock structures were the new ore doubling. :p

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Fact: When you only have one machine you don't even need an insertion pipe. Just make the last pipe segment an iron pipe, pointed towards the machine. If items can't fit in the machine, they'll bounce instead of overflowing.

Oh, is that what iron Buildcraft pipes are for? I could never figure out what the darn things were meant for, that's a really useful function. I should be able to fix my apiary setups and chunkload them safely now. :thumbup:

RE: everything else: Sorry, that went WAY over my head. I find pipes and wiring confusing enough as it is, listening to you two talk is like putting Nikola Tesla and Steven Hawking in the same room--you're sure it's a deeply fascinating, but you can't understand a single word of it. :p

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
A cheaper Agate+Wooden Pipe is definitely not it. I want to see every mod start doing block proxying! It is the new ore doubling! :D

That would be nice. However a autoextract pipe sounds like it might not be that much work for a mod developer and might actually happen. I don't see every mod suddenly including auto-eject or proxy blocks as very likely.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
RE: everything else: Sorry, that went WAY over my head. I find pipes and wiring confusing enough as it is, listening to you two talk is like putting Nikola Tesla and Steven Hawking in the same room--you're sure it's a deeply fascinating, but you can't understand a single word of it. :p
Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison. Who won? Who's next? You decide! :p

Reactions: Flipz

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, is that what iron Buildcraft pipes are for? I could never figure out what the darn things were meant for, that's a really useful function. I should be able to fix my apiary setups and chunkload them safely now. :thumbup:

Actually, iron pipes are usually used to direct the way items should flow at an intersection. An iron pipe can have multiple inputs, but only one output. You can change, which side is the output by rightclicking the pipe with a wrench.

Reactions: Flipz

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
The iron pipes can also be changed via redstone signal.
It was surprisingly effective when I made my BB5000 (BeeBreeder) which only used apiarist's pipes once.
It looked preety cool, all the pipes flowing around were awesome.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
How can you make anything significant in Buildcraft without knowing what iron pipes do?

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
How can you make anything significant in Buildcraft without knowing what iron pipes do?
You see, there are people that don't know how an iron pipe works, so they use diamond pipes.
The thing I've yet to seen in any other mod other than Buildcraft is the ability that diamond pipes have.
For example, say I have an MFR rubber tree farm. And I want to get rubber bars, raw plastic and plastic sheets. I want 1% to be rubber bars, 9% to be raw plastic and 90% plastic sheets.
I smelt the rubber, and then I split it into two different kinds of areas using diamond pipes - the first one has a direction full of rubber bars and the other with only 1. The one with only 1 gets split again - full of rubber/1 rubber.
The first full direction makes plastic sheets, and 90% of the outcome will be plastic sheets.
The second full direction makes raw plastic, and 90% of 10% (or 9%) will be raw plastic.
The other (10% of 10%, or 1) will be a rubber bar.
I still haven't found another mod that does that.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
You see, there are people that don't know how an iron pipe works, so they use diamond pipes.
The thing I've yet to seen in any other mod other than Buildcraft is the ability that diamond pipes have.
For example, say I have an MFR rubber tree farm. And I want to get rubber bars, raw plastic and plastic sheets. I want 1% to be rubber bars, 9% to be raw plastic and 90% plastic sheets.
I smelt the rubber, and then I split it into two different kinds of areas using diamond pipes - the first one has a direction full of rubber bars and the other with only 1. The one with only 1 gets split again - full of rubber/1 rubber.
The first full direction makes plastic sheets, and 90% of the outcome will be plastic sheets.
The second full direction makes raw plastic, and 90% of 10% (or 9%) will be raw plastic.
The other (10% of 10%, or 1) will be a rubber bar.
I still haven't found another mod that does that.

distribution pipe does such better :p

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019

The key word there is "significant", and that gives you the answer. :p (Though I have done decently with diamond pipes, but I digress...)

Buildcraft could definitely do with an in-game book like Tinker's Construct has. A lot of mods could do with that, actually. I'm actually playing around with the idea of making a mod/series of mods specifically designed to add in-game reference material for other mods, but that's a long-term goal. ;)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Myeah, most of the changes are done by player and Tdark though. Especially the e-net changes are mostly player. Tdark seems to work on changing the ore processing aspect, greg as far as I can see has done some texture work(of all things), small seemingly random fixes, some work on the mining laser, but there's some e-net work as well.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I... don't understand that. Can you transport power over Logistics Pipes now?
I don't think you can but some reason you can charge and discharge things in a chassis if you have the Power Management module in it. But as far I know you can't put eu/mj into pipes to replace pipelines/cables. That's would be awesome though!

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I looked at the changed greg has made and I am quite pleased. First he has fixed cells picking up lava. Remember how slow it would be and you had to click on a lava block that wasnt updating? Well now he fixed that and you can just pickup tons of lava much faster now. The enet is being worked on by player but it NEEDS it bad. 1.5.x is filled with enet problems and issues. Right now ic2 is in dire need of fixing and I am actually excited greg will do good. Even though he is kind of a megalomaniac he seems to know his place here and thats to squash bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.