So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

rye1994

Jul 29, 2019
I would much prefer that BC added a wooden pipe that didn't require a redstone engine (and wasn't really expensive to make) than that every machine under the sun got an auto-eject ability.

Yeah I see your point, it would start to make wooden pipes a bit obsolete, they have tried to do something though with the autarchic gates but they are expensive as you need a diamond gear for the table and then 2 I think for the laser.

i did read about, but funny thing is that induction furnace still has no slots for it.

That sucks :/

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I would much prefer that BC added a wooden pipe that didn't require a redstone engine (and wasn't really expensive to make) than that every machine under the sun got an auto-eject ability.

there is automatic wooden pipe, which is crafted with wooden pipe and 2 redstone engines. but it`s broken, because it only works when engine is applied :confused:

Reactions: jokermatt999

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
there is automatic wooden pipe, which is crafted with wooden pipe and 2 redstone engines. but it`s broken, because it only works when engine is applied :confused:

It worked in 152ngt, however you still need a gate to activate the pipe, just not an autarchic one.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
which makes it not much of a use and kinda goes against logic.

Autarchic gates require ender pearls, which might still be a rare resource unless you already have some kind of farm setup. But yeah, the infrastructure to build gates is also pretty expensive, just another kind of expensive (diamons mainly).

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Autarchic gates require ender pearls, which might still be a rare resource unless you already have some kind of farm setup. But yeah, the infrastructure to build gates is also pretty expensive, just another kind of expensive (diamons mainly).
even though it`s a poor man`s autarchic gate it`s still a gate, which is not so useful for basic ore processing setups.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
even though it`s a poor man`s autarchic gate it`s still a gate, which is not so useful for basic ore processing setups.

I would actually prefer, if there was an entry level way to get some of the simpler gates. Nothing fancy, just up to iron gates probably.

The high cost of the assembly table + laser + sufficient power prevents gates from being affordable when you most need them - in the early game where resources and energy supply are scarce and turning stuff off actually makes a lot of sense. Once you have unlimited everything, turning stuff on and off often isn't that vital anymore.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I see your point, it would start to make wooden pipes a bit obsolete, they have tried to do something though with the autarchic gates but they are expensive as you need a diamond gear for the table and then 2 I think for the laser.

That sucks :/

Autarchic gates are why I said "(and wasn't really expensive to make)" because autarchic gates are definitely not early game.

I'm talking about if every wooden pipe acted like it had an autarchic gate set to always pulse. If you needed more control than "always on", you'd be able to use an actual autarchic gate and set your own behaviour.
Or maybe "redstone signal on/off -> energy pulser" so you wouldn't need another way to control it.

This would make self-ejecting machines obsolete except where space is paramount (which is almost never) and not even worth the time they took to write.

Reactions: Flipz

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Autarchic gates are why I said "(and wasn't really expensive to make)" because autarchic gates are definitely not early game.

I'm talking about if every wooden pipe acted like it had an autarchic gate set to always pulse. If you needed more control than "always on", you'd be able to use an actual autarchic gate and set your own behaviour.
Or maybe "redstone signal on/off -> energy pulser" so you wouldn't need another way to control it.

This would make self-ejecting machines obsolete except where space is paramount (which is almost never) and not even worth the time they took to write.
if such wooden pipe had some sort of overflow protection, then yes. otherwise self eject would have it`s use.

a perfect solution would be vanilla hopper, with ability to configure import and export sides.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
if such wooden pipe had some sort of overflow protection, then yes. otherwise self eject would have it`s use.

a perfect solution would be vanilla hopper, with ability to configure import and export sides.

Oh, you mean like extra utilities transfer nodes?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
i`ve never messed with extra utilities, so cant say anything about nodes.
2013-08-16_15.14.11.png

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

Overflow protection is "use an insertion pipe loop on anything that might possibly ever need it". (assuming you have cheap insertion pipes - not so much TE's ones early-game since you'll use a lot of them)
Also set the despawn time to 5 seconds for spilled items.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Overflow protection is "use an insertion pipe loop on anything that might possibly ever need it". (assuming you have cheap insertion pipes - not so much TE's ones early-game since you'll use a lot of them)
Also set the despawn time to 5 seconds for spilled items.
that isn`t an overflow protection that i`d use in limited space for early ore processing. and it`s more like a work around buildcraft`s pipe overflow issue, rather than a proper solution.

judging by screenshot provided by Poppycocks, mechanic similar to transfer node is what buildcraft is lacking at.
if chute could take items from inventories attached to it`s sides(which hopper doesnt do) then it would be a perfect solution to IC2`s problem, while being different from hopper.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet

Edit: And power pass-through is just silly compared to crafting a few more cables.

people want those features because they want compactability, having a bunch of pipes and tubes hanging out everywhere just doesn't look neat sometimes and is tougher to set up.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Edit: And power pass-through is just silly compared to crafting a few more cables.

Actually, I disagree with ya on this one. One of the reasons I'm so into Logistics Pipes is that I can cut down on cable clutter. As a base grows, managing all the various cable networks starts to get increasingly ridiculous. Auto-ejector systems also cut down on tedious extra infrastructure (a cheap a-gate wooden pipe sounds great until you realize how limited it is) and allow you to stack single-purpose machines into a functional row; a multiblock factory. Anyone who plays with Forestry will tell you: ways to reduce input sources are great. MineFactory Reloaded also has some pretty hairy blocks to pipe and plumb, and I for one don't really enjoy it.

Although, auto-eject is far from the only solution. Probably the best solutions I've seen emerging are the "multi-purpose pass through" blocks. Emasher's Engineer's Toolbox introduced me to the concept first with its single-face tank+power+item inserter face. I've talked to him, and he has ideas to put extractors on the face as well, meaning that you could build additional faces onto the block. Another low profile solution that is absolutely brilliant and I cannot shut up about: Thaumic Tinkerer's Transvector Interface. This block, when placed near a target block and tapped in sequence with a tuning tool can act as a proxy block for the target. You can plug pipes, cables, wooden pipes, power, and more. It works with most everything I've tried, and lets you make very clean builds that are easy to manage. It also lets you do things like distribute output evenly amongst multiple networks, or more easily manage AE attachments, or keep your Logistics Pipe network out of sight.

So I think you're right on one front: there are better solutions than auto eject. A cheaper Agate+Wooden Pipe is definitely not it. I want to see every mod start doing block proxying! It is the new ore doubling! :D

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
there are better solutions than auto eject
This is absolutely true (I really want to play with Transvectors!). But I feel like at this point auto-eject and configurable sides should be the standard, with anything else on top of that. I go right to TE machines for early game processing work solely because of those, because at that point I can't justify using the resources for things like AE buses or autarchic gates to pull from machines.

It wouldn't solve the multiple input/output problems with MFR or Forestry machines, but it would at least make those pipe runs a bit easier to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.