So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
If Greg just does bugfixes then there is no problem there, and to be honest I would not mind him adding some new content to base IC2 (yes I know people have said he isnt there to add stuff just make bugfixes ECT I'm just saying personally I would not mind if he did add some new stuff) that is basically ripped from his mod as some of it is quite cool (the IDSU for example) so long as the balance of the new items keeps in line with IC2 as a base, so an IDSU as example being a more expensive base IC2 MFSU and then when adding gregtech it gets the items costs back to what they are in GT.

Edit: Having a bit of a play with the (pretty unstable) IC2-Experimental builds that have some new stuff in, looks like some new items coming into play along with some possibly new reactor stuff, seeing plutonium as well as different forms of Uranium. However a lot of the commits on the Jenkins for that stuff seem to be from Thunderdark so not nececarilly greg adding that stuff, though whether or not it is greg adding it will definitely be nice to see more new stuff in IC2 looks like perhaps something new with ore processing is incoming. : )

Reactions: Pokefenn and hotchi

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
First off let me state that I am one of Gregorious's biggest critics. I hold extreme disdain for the man but this is not the thread for that.

IC2 has needed some major performance improvements and BUGFIXES for a loooong time. If Gregorious is onboard only for the sake of bugfixing and performance improvements, I'm a happy camper. IC2 has had a long list of bugs that have been around for AGES that need to be fixed.

Reactions: Cirom

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I guess people just like simpler mods if they are saying TE is a better mod thatn IC2. One cable to run all machines vs multiple cables, working with power loss over distance, converters, upgrades to each machine vs just a few machines that are not adjustable at all. No 'end game' device like a mass/matter fab to push you to have tons of power and build big. If you just used buildcraft and TE, you would be at 'end game' in a day. Without ic2 i doubt id play tech mods at all.

Personally i think its a 'core' mod, like buildcraft is. Every pack has it, even on other launchers/platforms. If this means IC2 continues and maybe new ideas are implemented, its a good idea.

And even if gregtech is 'hard' you ahve to admit NO other tech mod gives you the depth that gregtech does, in one addon. Big mutliblock systems, complexity (which can be good or bad admittedly) and big end game items to strive for? What would I do with TE and buildcraft? Put up 4 induction furnaces and call it a day, vs a blast furnace and a fusion reactor? Anyway maube he is personally a jerk and maybe his mod is too 'hard' but you have to admit his mod is cool as hell.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I guess people just like simpler mods if they are saying TE is a better mod thatn IC2. One cable to run all machines vs multiple cables, working with power loss over distance, converters, upgrades to each machine vs just a few machines that are not adjustable at all. No 'end game' device like a mass/matter fab to push you to have tons of power and build big. If you just used buildcraft and TE, you would be at 'end game' in a day. Without ic2 i doubt id play tech mods at all.

Personally i think its a 'core' mod, like buildcraft is. Every pack has it, even on other launchers/platforms. If this means IC2 continues and maybe new ideas are implemented, its a good idea.

And even if gregtech is 'hard' you ahve to admit NO other tech mod gives you the depth that gregtech does, in one addon. Big mutliblock systems, complexity (which can be good or bad admittedly) and big end game items to strive for? What would I do with TE and buildcraft? Put up 4 induction furnaces and call it a day, vs a blast furnace and a fusion reactor? Anyway maube he is personally a jerk and maybe his mod is too 'hard' but you have to admit his mod is cool as hell.
if you want "proper" cable system then you should look into UE and electric(or is it electrical?) expansion. IC2 cables are joke, period.

induction furnace in mah TE? that`s a weird one...
in terms of cool power generation you should look, again, into UE mods. they have nice ideas and better implementation than IC2 and GT.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Greg has stated on his IC2 forum thread he is only there for bugfixes. Neffing stuff is what his Gregtech mod does

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda hope he'll add some of his machines to iC2 (specifically the sonictron and lightning rod), but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda hope he'll add some of his machines to iC2 (specifically the sonictron and lightning rod), but that's probably just wishful thinking.

I'm pretty sure the lightning rod was called "Albaka's bane" for awhile because he refused to add them xD
I doubt it would be added into vannila IC2.

Any-ways, im fully aboard greg working on IC2, he can fix some of the bugs alot easier than having to from his mod allowing people who dont use greg-tech to get some of the bugs fixed ^^

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
What are everyones opinions on this?
I think it's pretty great, because we'll be finally getting some brand new IC2 content :D greg can make some pretty cool stuff :p as long as said things aren't insanely hard to make

Also, this isn't a Gregtech thread, so please don't lock it ._.

so greg will now teach all the other ic2 devs to nerf all teh things well great sooner or later he is going to make geothermals require UUM if he keeps nerfing at the pace he is right now

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, for all the issues I have with Greg (I was rather vocal in the...debate before, and it's why I joined), he *is* a good coder, especially when it comes to bugfixing. IC2 has stagnated, and some general cleanup would be a good place to get it moving again. As others have said, if he's working in conjuction with other modders, I doubt his previous shennanigans would show up in IC2.

I've also generally moved on from IC2. While the GT endgame is nice, TE is just so much smoother overall. The inventory and GUI system is fantastic. IMO, TE setups just generally are much easier to setup nicely than IC2. I'd definitely like to see IC2 get a visual update, but Greg isn't really the guy for that. As for power, I can see the advantages of both systems. BC/TE makes you focus more on closed loops than storing massive amounts of power for later use, but that also means there's less of an endgame. In the higher tiers, it just becomes "spam 36HP boilers if you really feel you need more power", but IC2 and GT especially forces you to be more creative about your power. Personally, I feel lava power is in dire need of nerfing, because "spam thermals!" is by far the easiest and most effective method, but that's just me.

Anyway, back on topic: Despite Greg's previous issues, I think him joining IC2 is probably a very good thing for the sake of the modding community. Without Gregtech, do most people on Unleashed even touch IC2? I did briefly for the extractor (MFR rubber production, not even necessary though) and considered it for a jetpack, but I decided to go MPS instead and I'm much happier with that.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
BC/TE makes you focus more on closed loops than storing massive amounts of power for later use, but that also means there's less of an endgame. In the higher tiers, it just becomes "spam 36HP boilers if you really feel you need more power", but IC2 and GT especially forces you to be more creative about your power. Personally, I feel lava power is in dire need of nerfing, because "spam thermals!" is by far the easiest and most effective method, but that's just me.

Anyway, back on topic: Despite Greg's previous issues, I think him joining IC2 is probably a very good thing for the sake of the modding community. Without Gregtech, do most people on Unleashed even touch IC2? I did briefly for the extractor (MFR rubber production, not even necessary though) and considered it for a jetpack, but I decided to go MPS instead and I'm much happier with that.
when it comes to GT, boiler spam is actually a viable,if not best, strategy before solar spam. because it`s the best choice for mid voltage EU generation.

that`s because other mods are simply better designed and bring more to the table than IC2.

rye1994

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: Xikulis

rye1994

Jul 29, 2019
Why does everyone want this so much? I don't get it.

Oh hey immibis :D To be honest any new features in IC2 would go a long way, I also always liked the way blutricity flowed in RP2 and also I like the way TE machines do it with the outputs. Although I will admit, I'll still use TE even if IC2 added the auto eject thing.

EDIT: Didn't IC2 recently add an ejector module as well? Which would make that kinda pointless.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Oh hey immibis :D To be honest any new features in IC2 would go along way, I also always liked the way blutricity flowed in RP2 and also I like the way TE machines do it with the outputs. Although I will admit, I'll still use TE even if IC2 added the auto eject thing.

EDIT: Didn't IC2 recently add an ejector module as well? Which would make that kinda pointless.
I would much prefer that BC added a wooden pipe that didn't require a redstone engine (and wasn't really expensive to make) than that every machine under the sun got an auto-eject ability.

Edit: And power pass-through is just silly compared to crafting a few more cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.