So Many Silverwood Saplings...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pergamon256

Jul 29, 2019
I cut down a silverwood tree in the DW20 1.6.4 pack and somehow got 6 saplings. I checked the Thaumcraft 4 wiki and saw that they were supposed to drop 0-3...is this a bug?

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Additionally, Dartcraft has updated the API yet. As a result the droprate with force mitts is equal to without.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Silverwood Trees really aren't really rare anymore. They were a nightmare in TC3. 5-6 trees for MAYBE 1 sapling.

Reactions: RedBoss

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Silverwood Trees really aren't really rare anymore. They were a nightmare in TC3. 5-6 trees for MAYBE 1 sapling.
I never had luck that bad. In my 1.4.7 (DW20) world, I seem to remember averaging slightly less than 1 per tree when plundering flat mystcraft ages. Two trees in a row with no saplings was somewhat unusual. I didn't do any Thaumcraft on 1.5. They do seem to be a little more common in Magic Farm 2.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I never had luck that bad. In my 1.4.7 (DW20) world, I seem to remember averaging slightly less than 1 per tree when plundering flat mystcraft ages. Two trees in a row with no saplings was somewhat unusual. I didn't do any Thaumcraft on 1.5. They do seem to be a little more common in Magic Farm 2.
I think its just the RNG at its finest. I seem to have the same amount of luck on monster as I did in 1.4.7 with getting saplings. I wonder if the tinkers super axe works on the silverwoods if it does then who cares how many saplings you get it would only take a second to chop down each tree and for the leaves to decay.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I think its just the RNG at its finest. I seem to have the same amount of luck on monster as I did in 1.4.7 with getting saplings. I wonder if the tinkers super axe works on the silverwoods if it does then who cares how many saplings you get it would only take a second to chop down each tree and for the leaves to decay.
I think it's a shame that a mod has added a feature for free that Thaumcraft gives with a high-tier item (Axe of the Stream). It's like Treecap. If there are mods that add that feature with a modest cost, then I would not want a mod to give it for free. Well, it's not a shame that the mod exists, I'm sure some people are happy with it. But in a mod pack, maybe that feature should be disabled. Then again not everyone is into Thaumcraft. At least there are two mods that replace Treecap (Lumber Axe & Axe of the Stream).

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's a shame that a mod has added a feature for free that Thaumcraft gives with a high-tier item (Axe of the Stream). It's like Treecap. If there are mods that add that feature with a modest cost, then I would not want a mod to give it for free. Well, it's not a shame that the mod exists, I'm sure some people are happy with it. But in a mod pack, maybe that feature should be disabled. Then again not everyone is into Thaumcraft. At least there are two mods that replace Treecap (Lumber Axe & Axe of the Stream).

The lumber axe is not free. It is a high-end TiCo tool that requires a tool forge to make (4 blocks of iron) and a fully functioning smeltery with lava power to make from useful materials. You may consider it "cheaper" than the axe of the stream but it's far from free.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I chopped down a silverwood tree recently and got 3 saplings out of it. I was ecstatic! Silverwood saplings aren't quite as rare as they used to be since you can trade a pech for them, but i normally only get 1-2 out of a tree that size. Some of the smaller trees, I don't get any. It looks like RNG liked you there.

Were you using a hatchet to chop down the leaves? I have noticed that sometimes the same rng will apply to several leaf blocks as the hatchet is so fast at cutting down leaves, the same drop will fall from multiple blocks.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Not what I said. Treecapitator is free. Automatic fast leaf decay is free.
It may be a little OP but to be fair you cant just find one in a dungeon like you can the axe of the stream and all the other thaumcraft tools. I think if I remember a direwolf video correctly he said that the axe of the stream also speeds up the leaf decay.

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yes, but as I understand it, leaves always decay fast regardless of the tool used, which used to be a bonus special ability of the Axe of the Stream. I mentioned Treecap as being a similar "free ability that other mods add as a cost".

I've never seen that happen with one of my TiCo tools. I know that Random Things has a config option to allow for the quick leaf decay, however.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
"RNGesus frowns upon thee"

Reactions: Quesenek