So I'm trying to power a pulverizer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Some impatient angry spoiled little kid who cant take a joke shows up and demands answers to a painfully silly question. (The sort of person who made the official minecraft forums what it is today, the sort who make modders decide its not worth it.) And he leaves in a huff and wont ever be back. Im not seeing a problem here.
My experience in IRL while giving technical support to my clients makes me wonder if he really is a kid.... Now days, almost everyone behaves this way...
I blame all this technological companies that make stuff so easy that no one tries to think anymore!

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
My experience in IRL while giving technical support to my clients makes me wonder if he really is a kid.... Now days, almost everyone behaves this way...
I blame all this technological companies that make stuff so easy that no one tries to think anymore!

Actually it has a lot to do with our demands on kids in school. I worked with HS students after school as a teacher for a bit. I was the first person to demand they think to solve a problem not just regurgitate information at me. People have a gross misunderstanding of how education works and what it means to be educated.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah you see this sort of thing a lot nowadays. It just seems like when these folks are confused about something they immediately make a forum thread about it instead of using their own brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Well.... we are not a elitist community of MC but... I always say the biggest problem with kids nowdays is the lack of a good slap.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I think the reason why there was a degree of vitriol is due to the perpetual requests for help from [new member]s, with no pictures or actual description of the error occurring, this coupled with the fact that the information that was needed for this question is easily answered with a quick google search.
In his original post he assumes that the Energy Cell is a power producer rather than a battery. So, the logical answer would be to tell him about Dynamos and how they work. That doesn't really require pictures or further description, because you can tell from the original content that his mistake is thinking the Energy Cell is more than a battery. Although the information may be found on Google, asking experienced people will yield better results. Would you rather ask Google or a lawyer for legal advice? Also, different people have different Googling and technical skills.

If you look back to the OP and the following posts before they decided that we weren't helpful, the requests/suggestions being made were quite friendly and accurate.
The first response told him to change the output of the energy cell using the GUI, but the OP clearly states he doesn't know how to power the cell. Since the cell is empty, changing its output will not achieve anything. In the same post he is told to search Google rather than telling him how to power it. Then, the next post tells him to provide more information while condemning him for not "trying to help himself". After posting his setup, he is told the Cell has no energy to give, which should've been clear from the initial post. Thus, he becomes understandably frustrated and lashes out. The next post mocks him leaving. I would not consider that friendly and accurate.

It was only after the OP threw their hands up in the air and basically said we were not helpful that the "teasing" began.
The initial responses were hostile and short with him, too. The further hostility after he left was frankly embarrassing.

But even the nicest folks get worn down after a while.
It is frustrating that there seems to be a lack of people trying to figure basic things out for themselves, and they would rather someone hand the answers to them on a silver platter.
Maybe I'm getting old, but damn.. kids these days.
If you get worn down by offering support you should not give it when you are worn. How would you guys feel if you contacted a company asking for a solution to a problem and the representative told you to search Google because it has a simple solution? Ideally, it would be best to solve his problem and teach him how to solve future problems himself. But, not everyone in the world is the same; some people need their hands held.

Some impatient angry spoiled little kid who cant take a joke shows up and demands answers to a painfully silly question. (The sort of person who made the official minecraft forums what it is today, the sort who make modders decide its not worth it.) And he leaves in a huff and wont ever be back. Im not seeing a problem here.
He might not be a kid; many people act in this manner. As Nuno and Kaovlin said; the problem is that education systems teach repetition instead of understanding and modern society is based on instant gratification. These are a dangerous combination.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay...... /rant on

Aaaaaaand I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought making a red stone power cell would do the trick but it's basically like a bat box. It USED to be you could simply power these machines with any dang engine but now there's all this complicated RF BS I've never done before. HELP!

Let's break this down here:

Aaaaaaand I have no idea what I'm doing. I thought making a red stone power cell would do the trick but it's basically like a bat box

Okay, so the poster knows enough to understand what a bat box is, and understands that a redstone power cell is like a bat box, an energy storage block.

It USED to be you could simply power these machines with any dang engine

This would suggest that the poster knows what engines are. This leads to replies assuming that the poster knows what engines are, and knows that power cells are used for storage.

but now there's all this complicated RF BS I've never done before.

All I can say about this is.. Wut? After the flurry of "activity" with the lack of difficulty with Redstone Flux... This is probably what set off people's bullshit alarms.

Now, let's look at the posts that followed:

Set the cell output in the gear tab in the cell.

Based off of the information that the OP gave, the indications were that they maybe missed the output settings in the power cell... Accurate, and helpful with the information given.

Reply?
And I have. Everything I find is outdated.

Again... Wut?

Next answer/helpful post:

your not really helping anyone help yourself. Send a screenshot of your setup, a pack name etc. OR take the initiative check out a recent TE spotlight by DW20.

Again, this was asking for more information, via a screen shot. And honestly, if the OP took any time to look, RF and TE has not changed that much. Most of the information out there on pulverizer set ups is easy to find, and well explained. This goes back to "Do you even Google?"

Reply?
That didn't do anything. Set it to what exactly? here's my set up. The redcell (left) and the pilverizer (right)

Finally we can see exactly what the issue is. Our assumptions that the OP understood that things needed engines to make power were clearly wrong. How dare we not understand that the OP did not even understand the basics of power generation, even though it was implied in the OP's first post.

Next :
It would help if the Energy Cell actually had power to give.

No truer statement made on this problem. I can't say more about this. No, really.. this gave the answer.

Reply:
And Idk how to give it power. No one can help me i guess I'll figure it out on my own thanks for nothing

Aaaaaand we're done here... They state an understanding that engines are needed, but then say they don't understand. WTF? My Troll'o'meter went all the way to 11 after that.

If they said something like, "I'm not sure how to power it, can you help?" would have stopped it right there. Links would have been given, guides pointed to, explanations given.

So, to sum up, until the OP thanks us for "nothing" we gave them everything they needed to solve the issue themselves, without the fully explained, with pictures post that ProfessorMudkip gave. (great post btw, but a post that has been made on many "how to" guides and videos all over Youtube.)

Spit in our eye, and we will react. Act like you know what you are doing then bitch that no one is helping when you don't have a damned clue? Get ready for ridicule, not only on this forum, but in real life as well.

/rant off

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone is new at one point. [...] so why not put forth a little more effort to improve our community?
I think it's a natural and sane reaction here. We are a community based upon complexifying the game trough mods just as much as possible. About every mod have their own wikis. And their own page on the official minecraft forum which explain how to getting started. Then there is not one but 2 wikis for ftb. And multiple spotlight from different youtubers. And then I don't think i'd be wrong if I was saying that this game have the most lets play in the history of humanity.

figuring how to power a TE machine with TE engines shouldn't be the hard part of playing this modpack. If the OP can't at least figure that one by itself, I really doubt he could enjoy the modpack. This kind of reaction in normal and common in all kind of community. It ensure every one have the minimal skills needed to be there.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
figuring how to power a TE machine with TE engines shouldn't be the hard part of playing this modpack. If the OP can't at least figure that one by itself, I really doubt he could enjoy the modpack. This kind of reaction in normal and common in all kind of community. It ensure every one have the minimal skills needed to be there.

Look, I'm not saying there needs to be an entrance exam to join the FTB community. People need to understand that we were all new at one point, true. The thing is, being new + piss poor attitude = ridicule. Not just on these forums.

Like my signature states, anonymity breeds animosity. This community does it's best to avoid this, and those who stir the pot are slapped down quite quickly. This is another quality that I love about this forum. If you are a dick, and are clearly being one just because it's a day of the week that ends in y, you will be shunned, made fun of, and effectively silenced until you apologize. I have been a participant in threads that follow this pattern, and in the end, we got a new member, who understood that a bad attitude was not going to get them very far at all, and they were welcomed with no hard feelings to the group.

This is how it works in life, most of the time. People in real life hold grudges a hell of a lot longer than those on forums. If a new member wants to come off as arrogant, or complain that no one helps them, when they are clearly being helped, I say good day to you sir, head back to the MC forums.

Gad, I thought I said /rant off.....

Reactions: Hambeau

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
(edited for brevity)
Like my signature states, anonymity breeds animosity.

This is true on the *net, but was also true long before the *net existed. There is an old saying in the Amateur Radio community: "Instant A^%hole... Just add Microphone" that I've encountered since I got my first license in high school some 40 years ago.

Not having to face the person being responded to directly contributes to some rather unsocial habits being practiced. I have to say that these forums have been fairly calm in the year I've been here, but I've heard and seen worse both over the radio and on the internet. Just look at the various firestorms going on in social media right now.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, so the poster knows enough to understand what a bat box is, and understands that a redstone power cell is like a bat box, an energy storage block.

This would suggest that the poster knows what engines are. This leads to replies assuming that the poster knows what engines are, and knows that power cells are used for storage.

All I can say about this is.. Wut? After the flurry of "activity" with the lack of difficulty with Redstone Flux... This is probably what set off people's bullshit alarms.

He may know what engines are but engines are not dynamos. Once upon a time, if you haven't played that long, dynamos had different names and that was engine because it went along with BC. Someone who has no idea that TE has gone from TE 2 to TE 3 would simply search for engines. Most people don't notice the 2 or 3 with TE at all unless they know to look for it. RF is also not simple if you don't already understand it. It's just as difficult as any other power system you know nothing about.

Also if you think someone is bullshitting; don't reply, let the thread die.

Now, let's look at the posts that followed:

Based off of the information that the OP gave, the indications were that they maybe missed the output settings in the power cell... Accurate, and helpful with the information given.

Pre-note: Several posts are missing from the beginning of this thread deleted, removed, or otherwise.

No qualms with this one.

Reply?

Again... Wut?

The "wut" I assume is because you don't know who he's replying to because the post was deleted. It was someone telling him to google it with no other helpful information.

Next answer/helpful post:

Again, this was asking for more information, via a screen shot. And honestly, if the OP took any time to look, RF and TE has not changed that much. Most of the information out there on pulverizer set ups is easy to find, and well explained. This goes back to "Do you even Google?"

The great massive majority of modded MC players do not research a ton and either reply on prior experience or second hand experience. Beyond that is forums entire purpose is for anyone to ask anything they want and have it answered not being told to do something else to find the answer when it can be found here. Beyond that if your true intentions are to help someone you don't call their own willingness to help themselves in question

Reply?

Finally we can see exactly what the issue is. Our assumptions that the OP understood that things needed engines to make power were clearly wrong. How dare we not understand that the OP did not even understand the basics of power generation, even though it was implied in the OP's first post.

Except they were only half wrong. He knew they needed some form of powering but didn't know the new name of machines needed to power them. With the context that he only knew TE2(Hence the pre-RF, pre-dynamos talk, and calling a leadstone cell an REC since RECs use to be all there was) it seemed obvious to at least two people what he needed to know.

Next :

No truer statement made on this problem. I can't say more about this. No, really.. this gave the answer.

Except that's like giving him step 5 without steps 1-4. It's halfassed and poorly assumed that's all he needs to know when he has posted an image of his setup missing any dynamos or generators.

Reply:

Aaaaaand we're done here... They state an understanding that engines are needed, but then say they don't understand. WTF? My Troll'o'meter went all the way to 11 after that.

Keywords and context are amazing things and something that should be held in deep understanding if you wish to help most people. If you honestly at any point thought the OP a troll... the internet has made you jaded and you should take some time off from helping people.

If they said something like, "I'm not sure how to power it, can you help?" would have stopped it right there. Links would have been given, guides pointed to, explanations given.

So, to sum up, until the OP thanks us for "nothing" we gave them everything they needed to solve the issue themselves, without the fully explained, with pictures post that ProfessorMudkip gave. (great post btw, but a post that has been made on many "how to" guides and videos all over Youtube.)

Spit in our eye, and we will react. Act like you know what you are doing then bitch that no one is helping when you don't have a damned clue? Get ready for ridicule, not only on this forum, but in real life as well.

Except he thought he did know how to power it like it was powered in TE2.

To sum up he's was given a small fragment of what he needed to know that wouldn't even come into play until after he got other information. You are correct that it has been posted many times but when you search for things with a dated knowledge you only pull up information about dated knowledge.

Then stop helping. Ignore these threads. If you can't help but to lash out when someone does something to you; you won't get far in real life either. Real life takes a lot thicker skin than the net and if some kid saying "thanks for nothing" is enough to set you off; take a break.

My problem was similar. I have zero tolerance of those who are ignorant yet refuse to believe otherwise.

This attitude is beyond toxic. In real life this attitude, on both sides, is what causes wars. If you meet others you perceive as ignorant, without understanding their reason for being willfully ignorant, with confrontation they will present equal opposition and both sides are at a loss. When you truly seek to help people you seek to understand their reasoning and meet their ignorance with understanding and despite willful ignorance you offer aid and helpful information. That is how bridges are made and how progress is made. Oh and holding on to that attitude will only server to proliferate ignorance because many that are willfully ignorant don't know why they are and can't be cured of their ignorance.

Look, I'm not saying there needs to be an entrance exam to join the FTB community. People need to understand that we were all new at one point, true. The thing is, being new + piss poor attitude = ridicule. Not just on these forums.

That bold bit is bloody disappointing. A natural human reaction I understand but I was under the impression that reasonable human beings were able to overcome such natural desires and instead be the bigger person. It is sad that this forum seems to be becoming overwhelmed by people unable to suppress that natural reaction.

Like my signature states, anonymity breeds animosity. This community does it's best to avoid this, and those who stir the pot are slapped down quite quickly. This is another quality that I love about this forum. If you are a dick, and are clearly being one just because it's a day of the week that ends in y, you will be shunned, made fun of, and effectively silenced until you apologize. I have been a participant in threads that follow this pattern, and in the end, we got a new member, who understood that a bad attitude was not going to get them very far at all, and they were welcomed with no hard feelings to the group.

It should never matter why you're being a dick. It should never be acceptable even if it is understandable. It should be met with the same punishment regardless. Fighting fire with fire just leaves the whole planet burning to the ground. It is a very immature reaction to someone being a dick and it will backfire.

This is how it works in life, most of the time. People in real life hold grudges a hell of a lot longer than those on forums. If a new member wants to come off as arrogant, or complain that no one helps them, when they are clearly being helped, I say good day to you sir, head back to the MC forums.

Say nothing and move on, or contribute to their helping them regardless of their attitude. I'm sick and tired of seeing frustrated people getting antagonized for being frustrated or not understanding something. It's an attitude that should be stamped out with extreme prejudice.

Reactions: ProfessorMudkip

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This attitude is beyond toxic. In real life this attitude, on both sides, is what causes wars. If you meet others you perceive as ignorant, without understanding their reason for being willfully ignorant, with confrontation they will present equal opposition and both sides are at a loss. When you truly seek to help people you seek to understand their reasoning and meet their ignorance with understanding and despite willful ignorance you offer aid and helpful information. That is how bridges are made and how progress is made. Oh and holding on to that attitude will only server to proliferate ignorance because many that are willfully ignorant don't know why they are and can't be cured of their ignorance.
I have never seen a person who was willfully ignorant and did not remain so, mainly due to being in a permanent state of plugging one's ears.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I have never seen a person who was willfully ignorant and did not remain so, mainly due to being in a permanent state of plugging one's ears.

You never will either, with the attitude of your previous post. I have seen it happen online and in real life. Whether or not you bring yourself to pursue helping someone to that extent is up to you. I however ask you not be, publicly, willfully intolerant of them.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You never will either, with the attitude of your previous post. I have seen it happen online and in real life. Whether or not you bring yourself to pursue helping someone to that extent is up to you. I however ask you not be, publicly, willfully intolerant of them.
I did not always have this attitude, and I gained it via real-life experience. Too many times have I come back to people years later to find they still held exactly the same position as they did before, only now with ten times as much evidence against them.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I did not always have this attitude, and I gained it via real-life experience. Too many times have I come back to people years later to find they still held exactly the same position as they did before, only now with ten times as much evidence against them.

Evidence and truth do not convince people. As a common example biblically people believe miracles do not convert non-believers to believers. Experience is the ultimate tool to convince people. Not to mention merely allowing people to be in their ignorance does not change them especially when a great majority holds the attitude akin to current one.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
images

This thread is what, 2 pages longer than the initial question being answered? And now it's devolved into arguing the hostility (or lack of) in response. If response was needlessly hostile, then a moderator would have responded. None did. The thread is now focused on something that has nothing to do with the topic. Can we please let it go, as the argument is more toxic than any response that's being argued for/against.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Let me compare this:
I would have problems teaching a little kid how to add whole numbers because I don't really know where to start and I'm kinda impatient, but it would be easier for me to (e.g.) teach a fellow student who has basic knowledge of linear algebra how to tell if a matrix is positive definite.

It might be hard to teach others the very basics because you might take them for granted. I'm kinda bad at teaching :D
Kudos for elementary school teachers on this one.

Edit: By the way, our OP is still there

Zalison

Jul 29, 2019
Woah... Yeah... I figured it out myself. All I had to do was put a dynamo next to the red cell, but I had NO idea about the dynamo engines. All I needed was like this sentence: 'Put a dynamo engine next to the redcell', and I would have been good. I do apologize for my rudeness though. I was very frustrated that day after 20 mins of searching for an answer on google to no avail. Then to come seek help on here only to have someone tell me to go back on google was beyond annoying.