so i wanted to make a mod

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
so i wanted to start learning to code with java and i thought "what am i going to need?" i have an 1 edition back java for dummies book i borrowed. i was wondering is i know i need jave JRE which is already installed but i also need a IDE for java, i believe but i don't know where to get it. any other advice will also be much appreciated.

thanks in advance. =D

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
First: Use Eclipse if your new and need a little extra help, it has some nice features. Use Notepad++ if you got balls of steel, because it won't try and correct or notify you of any code mistakes.
Second: Watch Pahimars Lets Mod series, he covers the basics.
Third: Modding is not the best way to learn Java. Its hard, and as such, start small. Learn how to do simple stuff like make a block first. Then work on things like GUI's, which are particularly hard.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Here you've got some tutorials for complete beginners:
TheNewBoston

If you never learned any programming language, even a little bit, give yourself a couple months of learning basics before starting to go through modding tutorials, otherwise you'll hardly know what you are doing or why.
If you have some experinece learn basics of java programs structure and such, a week or two should be enough to comfortably start with simple mods.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Don't they call it a JDK? Java Development Kit?
The JDK (Java Development Kit) is the compiler, which turns the written source code into the class files that the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) executes. An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is basically your interface for writing that source code - essentially a text editor that gives tips about what you're coding and can call the JDK for you (to compile your code for distribution) or call the JRE for you (to try out your compiled code).

IDEs vary in complexity. Some are expensive (eg Visual Studio, not that I'd recommend that for Java), but you can get away with using Notepad if you're willing to do the compiling etc manually. I use a program called TextPad, myself - it can handle a selection of programming languages. I'd assume NotePad++ has similar functionality (it seems to be popular though I've yet to try it).

If you've ever fired up the old QBASIC/QuickBASIC builds that used to come with older versions of Windows, then you know have some idea what an IDE is.

In terms of JDK/JRE you're best off going to the Java website and making sure you've got the latest.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
thanks guys i have been studying a bit on my own but im sure doing something a little less complicated first will help a bunch =)

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
good luck :)

I've started learning java (already know a bit of c++) but i doubt i'll be making a mod any time soon

Darknesschaos

Jul 29, 2019
I've started learning java (already know a bit of c++) but i doubt i'll be making a mod any time soon

Doing basic things like adding blocks is really easy. Anything else can be quite difficult. Also, refer to the base code as much as possible, it helps out leaps and bounds in understanding the quirks and limitations of the game engine. I need to get back to working on my mod....

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Also take a look at open source mods. Start with mods that add simple things and try to understand what they do and why they do it. Back in 1.2.5 I looked at IronChests, which helped immensely.

Reactions: Darknesschaos

Darknesschaos

Jul 29, 2019
Also take a look at open source mods. Start with mods that add simple things and try to understand what they do and why they do it. Back in 1.2.5 I looked at IronChests, which helped immensely.

My problem is finding them. Do you have a list of them that I can look at? Currently my knowledge is limited to only the ever complicated buildcraft.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
how do you read the base code?[DOUBLEPOST=1369406172][/DOUBLEPOST]also i tried looking at open source mods but could not work out how to see the source :p (i downloaded the source)

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
oh ok how do i do that? just download forge and try and work out how to open it with eclipse? (that's lucky i was using eclipse for my other programs)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
is decompiling not illegal?
The whole modding scene started, because the main MC code was decompiled and deobfuscated. So no mod author should have the right to complain about decompiling their code, because his/her work depends on decompiled MC code.
I also use JD-Gui. And I really like how it works, so more often than not I look at decompiled and deobfuscated code (via Bearded Octo Nemesis for 1.4.7) instead of the actual source code. The downside for this is, that you don't have the comments that may have been added in the source code.[DOUBLEPOST=1369407038][/DOUBLEPOST]
My problem is finding them. Do you have a list of them that I can look at? Currently my knowledge is limited to only the ever complicated buildcraft.
No, sorry. I never made such a list. You'll have to search through the websites of the mods to see, if the source code is available to the public.

Darknesschaos

Jul 29, 2019
The whole modding scene started, because the main MC code was decompiled and deobfuscated. So no mod author should have the right to complain about decompiling their code, because his/her work depends on decompiled MC code.
I also use JD-Gui. And I really like how it works, so more often than not I look at decompiled and deobfuscated code (via Bearded Octo Nemesis for 1.4.7) instead of the actual source code. The downside for this is, that you don't have the comments that may have been added in the source code.[DOUBLEPOST=1369407038][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, sorry. I never made such a list. You'll have to search through the websites of the mods to see, if the source code is available to the public.

Ah, oh well. Thanks anyways. I may just have to compile a list and post it here.