So, hello 1.10

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Apparently 1.10 was a very easy update to update for if you were already on 1.9.4. As in Forgecraft booted up a 1.10 instance and 90% of the 1.9.4 mods worked with no additional tweaking. Multi-block affecting stuff like hammers apparently have a glitch with them, but other than that...

So, for the first time in years, the modded MC version and the latest MC version might actually be one and the same?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The sentiment from Mojang back a while ago was to expect this up till 1.17 or so. It was stated as a half joke when replying to an inquiry about modders having time to update between versions, but I think there was more truth to it than anyone realized at the time. They are working on adding content for once, and the next version to break worlds won't come until the engine is running at max and they've had a chance to rewrite the underlying code with something more robust than the original dumpster fire that was the core code of Minecraft. Sounds harsh, but I think I'm being realistic.

The jump from 1.7 onward represents a place where Mojang/Microsoft now feels is stable enough to build on for a while. This changes the way we have to view mod packs now, as a 1.8->1.10 conversion is apparently quite simple for the majority of mods. If this holds up for a while, we could experience the same size window of stable modding that we enjoyed in 1.6.4 and 1.7.10 while we march through updates and upgrades to Vanilla. In theory, it's the best of both worlds.

Hopefully, when we reach that breaking point when the version updates begin to break everything again it will mean a true overhaul and optimization of the engine behind the monster. If they time it right, they could release the long awaited Modding API at the same time, which would shave off Forge development and testing time as well.

A man can dream...

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
And TICo already has a 1.10 version out. If you are a Forestry, IC2, Blood Magic person, you should be good to roll with the polar bears. I'm mostly waiting for AE2, Thaumcraft, and Blue Power to complete my basic mod lineup. I'm also hoping more 1.9.4 mods will tell Curse they work with 1.10 so I don't have to add them manually. (Curse is finally working as a MC mod manager on the Mac!).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And TICo already has a 1.10 version out. If you are a Forestry, IC2, Blood Magic person, you should be good to roll with the polar bears. I'm mostly waiting for AE2, Thaumcraft, and Blue Power to complete my basic mod lineup. I'm also hoping more 1.9.4 mods will tell Curse they work with 1.10 so I don't have to add them manually. (Curse is finally working as a MC mod manager on the Mac!).
There's already a replacement for AE called Storage Network. There's also one called Refined Storage which pretty much IS Applied Energistics (no channels, so much more like the original version), but I keep having crash bugs regarding how it and JEI don't like to talk right now.

Never was a fan of Bluepower.

Also not a fan of the Curse Launcher. Using MMC here. Will eventually update my pack on the ATLauncher for 1.10 once it becomes a bit more stable.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The problem with Bluepower is that it tried to resurrect Redpower. Unfortunately, it only got the annoying parts, like the billion and one dusts you get that you will NEVER, EVER USE. You'll use two stacks, if you need a lot of power gen. I voided more of that stuff than I ever did cobble. And it never got to the frame system, which was the only reason to ever use redpower to begin with.

Aside from the lack of auto-crafting, I'd rather just use EnderIO's inventory panel. It requires Nutrient Distillation, but I'm already using that for mob farming so I just run it along to the panel. I can craft and put stuff away. What more do I need?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Fireball1725 has been working on a AE2 style pack, livestreaming the development sessions. It includes features she wanted to add to AE2 when she was working on it but wasn't allowed to.

I started watching the stream when the pack was for 1.8.x, saw it upgraded to 1.9.x in about 15 minutes one day and watched as it was upgraded to 1.10 a week or so ago, showing how 1.8 and up packs can be updated to 1.10 fairly easily.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
The problem with Bluepower is that it tried to resurrect Redpower. Unfortunately, it only got the annoying parts, like the billion and one dusts you get that you will NEVER, EVER USE. You'll use two stacks, if you need a lot of power gen. I voided more of that stuff than I ever did cobble. And it never got to the frame system, which was the only reason to ever use redpower to begin with.

Aside from the lack of auto-crafting, I'd rather just use EnderIO's inventory panel. It requires Nutrient Distillation, but I'm already using that for mob farming so I just run it along to the panel. I can craft and put stuff away. What more do I need?

I've been using BluePower just for the redstone gates and the wither proof glass, and I like their volcanos much better than ProjectRed's. Definitely reduce the ore spawn and dust yield in half, although I can appreciate not having to triple my redstone gathering to make use of the mod. Charset may be an adequate replacement for my needs.

I'm a fan of storage systems that don't require running pipes to hundreds of chests, I just haven't seen one I like as much as AE2 or isn't part of a mod that is doing its own version of all the things.

I'm not a fan of the TiCo tool nerfs, especially as expensive as the alternate enchantment system is, but without early game aoe tools, I might as well go back to playing vanilla MC. The cheap, throwable explosive is a plus.

ExtraUtilities has dropped most of the things I used it for in 1.7.10. It still has drums, but now I need an alternate pump & quarry that isn't part of a big mod that does all the things. With better, faster, durable aoe mining tools, I could live without a quarry. A hand pump like the one TE added, but that worked just a little better, would be adequate for my lava gathering needs.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm holding out hope for a build of Thaumcraft 5 to be out soonish - given that it showed up in a really nice, usable state in DW20's 1.8.9 Forgecraft series, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Azanor did some really nice things with golems, nodes, research and stuff, so that could be very awesome.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I use Storage Drawers, and it seems to work fine with those, so you can just plug it in, and have access to the entire thing.

At the moment I'm having great fun with Logistics Pipes in 1.7.10, so I hope we see that in 1.10 soon.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Anyone know which mod decided we shouldn't be allowed to place water source blocks in the last 2-3 days of updates? I have at least 2 other mods that require properly placed water for some machines to work and I still like to use water to clear ground and make obsidian. I'm not ready to wade through all the configs yet, but there had better be an option or I'll need to drop whatever is doing it.

Found it! BetterWithMods, a wip copy/update of BetterThanWolves, did it, and there is a config option. Looks like a interesting mod, but it has a complicated and involved process to get started and it looks like I'll have to rely heavily on old BTW info for how things are supposed to be put together and work for now.

Last edited:

jaz000

Jul 29, 2019
Any word on minetweaker / modtweaker for 1.10 ?
I'm looking forward to FTB Expert mode on 1.10, even if I have to create the tweak scripts myself!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm looking forward to FTB Expert mode on 1.10, even if I have to create the tweak scripts myself!

Give it a little time... Forge for 1.10 has only been out about 3 weeks.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam

CraftTweaker and ModTweaker both work for 1.10.2 last time I checked.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013

Modtweaker is out and a port of MineTweaker called CraftTweaker, also several other tools geared towards making custom pack/maps.

I think we are now in the position where a lot of big, popular mods have been turned over to a small handful of top devs for maintenance who now have to figure out what to port, what to replace, and what to abandon, all while still having to earn a living doing something else. Meanwhile, popular add-ons to those mods are in a wait-and-see. I have no doubt that progress is being made behind the scenes, but something like an expert mode pack is probably still a while off.

Reactions: Hambeau