Smelting stuff fast, a comparison =)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
As far as I know it only needs power, torque/speed don't matter. The highest power I did on the comparison was pretty much optimal I think. It heats up to 1902 degrees. 2000 is the max, but if you add too much power it goes kaboom, so higher is kinda risky.

Edit: Highest power on the test is a tier 5 magnetostatic on penultimate speed setting. Highest = kaboom.

Any suggested engines that heat it up to that point? Other than the magnetostatic, cause magnetizing those things is a pain, even if you can do it 16 at a time.

Edit: If I remember correctly, penulitmate means one before last

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Any suggested engines that heat it up to that point? Other than the magnetostatic, cause magnetizing those things is a pain, even if you can do it 16 at a time.

Edit: If I remember correctly, penulitmate means one before last

Well, a gas turbine outputs a ton of power, if you want to break it down to a manageable level for the friction heater, just use a shaft junction and split it 1:7, feed the rest of the power into something else that wont kersplode if you over-rev it :)

Reactions: Dezz

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a gas turbine outputs a ton of power, if you want to break it down to a manageable level for the friction heater, just use a shaft junction and split it 1:7, feed the rest of the power into something else that wont kersplode if you over-rev it :)
That could actually be too much. 3:1 seems to hit it quite close

Reactions: Dezz

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What is the perfect power input for the friction heater?

Torque?

Rads/sec?

As far as I know it only needs power, torque/speed don't matter. The highest power I did on the comparison was pretty much optimal I think. It heats up to 1902 degrees. 2000 is the max, but if you add too much power it goes kaboom, so higher is kinda risky.
The friction heater is a bit of an oddball.

I wish I could remember where, because someone posted precise numbers a couple weeks ago. But basically it boils down to the friction heater wanting more or less equal speed/torque (rather than pure power: 16MW from pure torque or speed won't create any appreciable heat)

At 4096x4096 (16MW) you cook a stack in ~9s.

A decent number seems to be 6144x6144 (for 37MW). At this speed it heats up to around 1930C and bakes a stack in ~6s.

Getting the heater up to 1998C doesn't cook it any faster (7168x7168).

This might not be as fast as some other means, but its worth noting that both the friction heater (and furnace obviously) are, relatively speaking, rather simple and cheap to build. (Powering it is another matter)

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
The friction heater is a bit of an oddball.

I wish I could remember where, because someone posted precise numbers a couple weeks ago. But basically it boils down to the friction heater wanting more or less equal speed/torque (rather than pure power: 16MW from pure torque or speed won't create any appreciable heat)

At 4096x4096 (16MW) you cook a stack in ~9s.

A decent number seems to be 6144x6144 (for 37MW). At this speed it heats up to around 1930C and bakes a stack in ~6s.

Getting the heater up to 1998C doesn't cook it any faster (7168x7168).

This might not be as fast as some other means, but its worth noting that both the friction heater (and furnace obviously) are, relatively speaking, rather simple and cheap to build. (Powering it is another matter)

Gas Turbines are easier to get than you might think, or easier to fuel up I guess.

Fractionation Units are rather easy to power.

It's getting those tungsten flakes that piss me off lol

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Gas Turbines are easier to get than you might think, or easier to fuel up I guess.

Fractionation Units are rather easy to power.

It's getting those tungsten flakes that piss me off lol

Silk touch enchanted quarrying machine of any sort will net you a metric ton of redstone ore. Simples ;)

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
If it needs 33MW and a Gas Turbine outputs about 67MW, a 2:1 might work, perhaps?
NO! That sounds like you think of a a gearbox. A gearbox doesn't change the power, only how it's distributed on torque/speed. With a gearbox, depending on how the ratio impacts on the heat produced (as @Pyure said) you might well still be in kaboom range.
So 32768 I'm guessing?
not quite, the power is based on Watts and I rounded to SI Mega Watts. It's 33554432 Watts. (Which apparently means I cannot round properly -.-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
As belbagor said, the total power running through a gearbox is unchanged by the multiplier to torque or speed.

A 2:1 split of 67MW on a shaft junction would approximate to 44.7 one way and 22.3 the other, so you go over or under either way.

Shaft junctions split the total (or add them together in the other mode), they don't act as a multiplier

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
A 2:1 split of 67MW would approximate to 44.7 one way and 22.3 the other, so you go over or under either way.

Shaft junctions split the total (or add them together in the other mode), they don't act as a multiplier
But a shaft junction cannot split 2:1 :)

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
NO! That sounds like you think of a a gearbox. A gearbox doesn't change the power, only how it's distributed on torque/speed. With a gearbox, depending on how the ratio impacts on the heat produced (as @Pyure said) you might well still be in kaboom range.

not quite, the power is based on Watts and I rounded to SI Mega Watts. It's 33554432 Watts. (Which apparently means I cannot round properly -.-)
I'm quite aware of what a gearbox is.

I was talking about a shaft junction, but belgabor kindly pointed out that they can't be split.

Turtles

Jul 29, 2019
I tested a lava smeltery from rotary craft with a 64x tile acelerator, pretty godly

Enviado de meu XT1032 usando Tapatalk

Reactions: Pyure

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Not really...If you have a huge smeltery it can get it all done in one go. However it only works with ores so that is a downside.
Is this even possible to measure? Considering you can have a smeltery that can smelt 738 blocks at a time (maximum presuming you start the layer above flat bedrock) and each ore smelts at different rates. Hmm. I really want to test this.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
From the v24 changelog:
  • GeoStrata: Tile Accelerator no longer works on any machine from RC or its addons

Sigh. He adds a feature that greatly affects the balance other mods, but deems too OP for his own mod. I am assuming here. I'm assuming it's not because of a bug.

Reactions: Turtles

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm people can say what they want about IC2(E), but that Induction Furnace is just a beast when comparing both items/t and power/item.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Sigh. He adds a feature that greatly affects the balance other mods, but deems too OP for his own mod. I am assuming here. I'm assuming it's not because of a bug.

From what I read over on his MCF thread, it's because of how his mods consume power versus how other mods handle it.