Smelting stuff fast, a comparison =)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the Elite Factory from Mekanism is the "best".

4th cheapest per item, and 3rd for speed. Only the Lava Smeltery, Friction heater @ 8KW, and the Induction furnace beat it on power consumption per item, while only the 16 overclocker Electric Furnace and Friction heater at 34 MW beat it for speed.

Notice how only the Friction heater shows up as "better" on both categories, at opposite ends of the power scale?

I was thinking about making a chart to visualize the data better... but I can't make my spreadsheet program work correctly.

Reactions: Mevansuto and Pyure

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
For me the lava smeltery and the factory share the first spot. Lava smeltery for cheap bulk/maintenance smleting, factory for on-demand smelting.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My vote almost always goes to the Force Furnace. Why? Exp Upgrade. Add one of those suckers to it and it outputs 10 times the exp per smelt. Bluedart may end up making his own version of the Induction Smelter at this rate, since it's damn slow compared to his Force-Sheen's. His Force Grinder? Faster then the Advanced Machines one. Same with his other IC2 Force-Sheen's. True, they work like an Induction Smelter, just like Advanced Machines do. His go faster. May suggest that he adds Ork thinking to them too. And to his force panels. Did you know his Force Panels work without sunlight? No, I don't mean at night, I mean in a cave. Slow and weak, but insanely good regardless. Surround them with liquid force(no need for them to actually be still, flowing works just fine) and the power doubles. Raining? Dubs again. Raining, daytime, open view of the sky, and with force all around it? A Force Panel MK 2 can't even send power via tin cables without waste. And if the E-Net wasn't borked, the cables would light on fire/melt.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, just wait until 1.8, you won't know what to do with the obscene amounts of spare xp you'll accumulate from doing anything at all. As long as you don't die, I doubt you will EVER run out of XP unless you have automated systems literally doing everything for you and have 100% mob-proofed your base. That's also assuming you don't have any xp farms.

My favorite WOULD be the OC'd Electric Furnace. Simply because speed. Sorry, but I hate having to wait forever to have my Molecular Assembly Chamber auto-craft something that touches an exterior machine, and it also ceases to be a bottleneck if I ramp up my ore intake. Except IC2 has been tainted by the Greg-ness, so it has been permanently banned from touching my PC. Which gives me the second-place option for speed. Why hello there Rotarycraft, we meet again. Ridiculous amounts of power to smelt items really REALLY fast? Hey that's basically balanced.

So it doesn't gimme XP... I really don't care much, because XP is mostly useless in vanilla, gets more useless with mods, and becomes nearly 100% obsolete in heavily modded Minecraft. Most unenchantable gear is better than the enchantable stuff, is unbreakable, you have a non-xp based repair mechanism for, or... well the options just keep piling up, don't they?

Besides, Geostrata adds the potions crystals, and the purple gives XP. I love Reika's mods!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, just wait until 1.8, you won't know what to do with the obscene amounts of spare xp you'll accumulate from doing anything at all. As long as you don't die, I doubt you will EVER run out of XP unless you have automated systems literally doing everything for you and have 100% mob-proofed your base. That's also assuming you don't have any xp farms.

My favorite WOULD be the OC'd Electric Furnace. Simply because speed. Sorry, but I hate having to wait forever to have my Molecular Assembly Chamber auto-craft something that touches an exterior machine, and it also ceases to be a bottleneck if I ramp up my ore intake. Except IC2 has been tainted by the Greg-ness, so it has been permanently banned from touching my PC. Which gives me the second-place option for speed. Why hello there Rotarycraft, we meet again. Ridiculous amounts of power to smelt items really REALLY fast? Hey that's basically balanced.

So it doesn't gimme XP... I really don't care much, because XP is mostly useless in vanilla, gets more useless with mods, and becomes nearly 100% obsolete in heavily modded Minecraft. Most unenchantable gear is better than the enchantable stuff, is unbreakable, you have a non-xp based repair mechanism for, or... well the options just keep piling up, don't they?

Besides, Geostrata adds the potions crystals, and the purple gives XP. I love Reika's mods!
You know that DartCraft infusing needs XP right? By default it uses 1 level per item, but one can make it use 1 level per level of the item you use to infuse things. AKA a level 1 item costs 1 level, but a level 7 item? Seeing as one can infuse 8(IIRC) items into a item, assuming it's not a torch, so one could, in theory, use 56 levels on one item... and a armor set is four pieces, and that doesn't include tools, items, or the other items one can be infused in dartcraft, so....

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
You know that DartCraft infusing needs XP right? By default it uses 1 level per item, but one can make it use 1 level per level of the item you use to infuse things. AKA a level 1 item costs 1 level, but a level 7 item? Seeing as one can infuse 8(IIRC) items into a item, assuming it's not a torch, so one could, in theory, use 56 levels on one item... and a armor set is four pieces, and that doesn't include tools, items, or the other items one can be infused in dartcraft, so....
All the XP belongs to BlueDart ? :p

Reactions: YX33A

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I had forgotten that. Still not worth slowing down my ore processing line when basically every other thing provides (or can provide) XP as a byproduct.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I had forgotten that. Still not worth slowing down my ore processing line when basically every other thing provides (or can provide) XP as a byproduct.
What has that? Couldn't hear you over all these machines going at basically light speed with a single time torch on hyper speed. Or just using a GeoStrata Time Accelerator.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I avoid time manipulation mechanics in modded minecraft... it has a distinct tendency to cause unforseen interactions. Usually massive lag, though GeoStrata apparently doesn't have that issue so much and totally ignores the friction heater... so I'm right back at square one. Using the Mekanism factory, or RoC friction heater because the first one is even faster now, or I don't use time manipulation and suddenly the friction heater is the fastest in any mod I allow on my PC. Same thing with the time torch.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I avoid time manipulation mechanics in modded minecraft... it has a distinct tendency to cause unforseen interactions. Usually massive lag, though GeoStrata apparently doesn't have that issue so much and totally ignores the friction heater... so I'm right back at square one. Using the Mekanism factory, or RoC friction heater because the first one is even faster now, or I don't use time manipulation and suddenly the friction heater is the fastest in any mod I allow on my PC. Same thing with the time torch.
Reika doesn't allow for Time stuff on his mods because his mods don't work very well with it. Basically, even if one includes GeoStrata and RoC, one can't use the GeoStrata Time Accelerator on the Friction Heater nor the Lava Smelter. Meanwhile, the time torch is also pretty damn safe, because the time upgrade itself is pretty damn save. It can even be limited to only work on this one can force wrench, a wise choice if one is worried about the issues you mention. What was that about Defaults again? 90% of people won't change them, and 95% don't even know they can?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm aware of the reason behind the lack of compatibility between RoC and the Tile Accelerator. I maybe might give it a shot, but I still think I'm going to be using RoC or Mek for my ore processing, without time dilation effects. Too easy to parallelize them, and I still haven't gotten the hang of Dartcraft infusion anyway. Too many restarts and upsets and corruptions and such. Sometimes running your own private server is a pain in the <bleep>.

I'm one of the 5% (would that be 14.5%, or the 0.5% instead? Meh I've always been horrible at multiplying fractions and percentages) that actually DO change defaults. I'm currently not playing Agrarian Skies according to Jaded's view on the subject. I've added mods, removed mods, and tinkered with many of the configs (not all, because they didn't all need tinkering to be where I wanted them).

It's one of the reasons I'm going to be happy for 1.7+ If they ever actually get enough content to draw me away from 1.6; my time in the configs can mostly be spent on actual config changes, not sitting there assigning item and block id's (it's really annoying when it's not one of those because not all mods provide configs for their mob/biome/potion ID's).

By the way, that is one of my favorite Immibis quotes. It even links to Coding Horror.
immibis said:
First rule of configs: 90% of people won't see your configs. 95% of people won't change them.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm aware of the reason behind the lack of compatibility between RoC and the Tile Accelerator. I maybe might give it a shot, but I still think I'm going to be using RoC or Mek for my ore processing, without time dilation effects. Too easy to parallelize them, and I still haven't gotten the hang of Dartcraft infusion anyway. Too many restarts and upsets and corruptions and such. Sometimes running your own private server is a pain in the <bleep>.

I'm one of the 5% (would that be 14.5%, or the 0.5% instead? Meh I've always been horrible at multiplying fractions and percentages) that actually DO change defaults. I'm currently not playing Agrarian Skies according to Jaded's view on the subject. I've added mods, removed mods, and tinkered with many of the configs (not all, because they didn't all need tinkering to be where I wanted them).

It's one of the reasons I'm going to be happy for 1.7+ If they ever actually get enough content to draw me away from 1.6; my time in the configs can mostly be spent on actual config changes, not sitting there assigning item and block id's (it's really annoying when it's not one of those because not all mods provide configs for their mob/biome/potion ID's).

By the way, that is one of my favorite Immibis quotes. It even links to Coding Horror.
True 'dat. True 'dat.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I see the Infernal Furnace in the list, and I see it is augmented with bellows, but did you also test with a jar of ignis next to it? This will speed up the process above what the bellows provide.
I know my little evil oven isn't the best, but I still love it..

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking